No announcement yet.

Mid Size (Tacoma) vs Full Size Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tied a taco, but just too small and didn't sit right for me.

Comment

I used to say taco, but now they are just as much as a full size truck not to mention the fuel savings isn't there either.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
        As stated, it comes down to towing, but be honest with yourself.

Do you tow anything right now? Will you ever and if so, what?

A taco will tow a small utility trailer, aluminum boat, pop-up camper, etc.

Do you live in an urban area where compact parking can be an issue?

Both have their pros and cons. You might as well ignore gas mileage as it's not big enough a difference to really matter. Actually, gas mileage for mid-sized trucks and SUVs is a bit disappointing when compared to their larger counterparts.
        My Tacoma tows a single axle dump trailer with 3,000+ pounds of dirt/rocks all the time. It also towed my 18' RV up some pretty steep rocky hills.

I may be pushing it's limits... But so far it seems to have no limits. Except I could not back up a trailer that weighted more than the Tacoma up a steep dirt hill one time. That mad me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
          I've got a 2017 Tacoma TRD offroad and couldn't be happier. Mileage around town averages about 21 to 22mpg. I also have a full size Bronco just in case I wanna tow something heavy or move small mountains. Get the Tacoma it'll outlast any of those full size trucks by a long shot not to mention the Tacoma will hold it's value better than those others mentioned.

Ill agree on it holding value better but unless you’re trading on a regular basis that’s a moot point.

Reliability has been just as good if not better on my ‘04 Z71 with 270k miles on it and my Ram 2500 Diesel with 155k on it.

I’ve already shelled out more than the truck is worth on my daughter’s 96 Tacoma and it has less miles than the Z71.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had a Tacoma for a lease/hunting vehicle. It was a better value then a Polaris ranger for about the same money. For true off-roading they can’t be beat except maybe a Jeep. However, for minimal towing duty and the same reliability I’d go 4Runner for the added space in the rear.
            The Tacoma is not really a pickup. It’s an suv with the rear cap removed. It couldn’t tow well, it gets the same gas mileage and the interior is cramped.
            Modern trucks from the big 3 get decent mileage, are pretty reliable and have way more room in both the bed and interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gas Mileage is a non issue most full size trucks will be in the same ball park as the Tacoma. Bed Space and cabin space comfort for long journeys with family can be an issue.
              Have you priced the taco and a full size truck lately u might be surprised
              Great Resale, reliability and offroad capability on Taco.
              Pick ur poison. Good luck

Comment

Tacoma can't pull much, small interior, small bed, pricey for a small "truck", no better gas mileage than a real truck.

To the OP, no way I'd cram myself and my family in a little Tacoma cab for a 2.5 hour trip each weekend.

Hard pass

Comment

I made It 6 months in a Tacoma before selling it. Cramped, no power, lack of space, same gas mileage as full size truck. Never again for me

Comment

I have a taco & full size. I love driving the taco by myself or 1 passenger. After that it gets tight. We can take 3 of us if not going far, but if you put kids in the back & drive a long ways,I think you will hate it. I use mine to get around town & go hunt by myself. Perfect for that. Fuel mileage is a wash. I drive like the old man I am & it get about 20 on the hwy going 65. I have a 4X4 double cab . It pulls my ranger fine & used to pull a 20 ft Carolina skiff around, but stick a trailer behind it & mileage drops to 13 -14 mpg.

Comment

At one time the wife and I had a taco “ baby truck, a 1500 3 door “ pea popper” and a crew f350 “ the barge “ ( lol wife likes to name our cars )
                      The baby truck was finally fazed out because 1. Put my gear and a dog and couple bags of feed and we were sardines. 2. It was weak on towing
                      IMO a 3/4 gassers are the Goldie Locke’s of trucks ( unless you are towing lots and long)
                      If we could get them in the USA I would probably have a Toyota M79 truck with a turbo diesel as a daily driver

Comment

I drive a LOT so I just traded my Duramax for a '19 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 and I really like it so far. The gas mileage is a big improvement over the 13mpg I was getting in the lifted 2500HD. With that said, it isn't great gas mileage for a small truck. Right now I'm averaging 19-20mpg driving at least 100 miles per day on average. I really like everything about the truck except two things... the engine's power and the Entune system. The 3.5 liter v6 is an absolute dog compared to other v6's that I've had. The acceleration is really poor. The entune system is way behind some other manufacturers and can't utilize Android Auto which I have used for years. That really is my only complaints though.

Comment

Happy with my taco.

Family of 3 rolled to kerrville and back 2 weeks ago without issue. My kid is close to 6'.

I made a cooler rack for the bed that let me pile stuff 2 rows high. Works well and had enough room for 20 flats of shotgun shells on the way home

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a 17 Tacoma and loved it. Only issue is my kids and lack of space in the backseat. I just traded it in on a 2019 Chevy 1500 Silverado LT and actually paid almost the same for the Chevy as I did the Tacoma. MPG in the Tacoma and Chevy are very close to the same but will alot more upside with a bigger truck. Just my opinion go with a larger truck of your choice.

Comment

2007 Tacoma 4x4. 283,000 miles. I tow every week but really try to keep loads under 4000lbs. Tow rating is 6400 but it sucks to do over 5Klbs. I'm gonna buy another really soon but I'll keep this one to work out of. All my buddies with Fords and Chevys have too many issues.
                              Then again I'm a smaller guy and that makes a smaller truck work for me. That said I've never been stuck in it and I trust it to get me there and back even after over 12 years.

Gary

Comment

I had a 16 Tacoma traded it in for a gas saving car. Now I have another midsize truck
                                That I plan to sell soon. With a growing family we needed more space, wife and kids enjoy going hunting with me so I need that extra seat. No more midsize trucks for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X