Calling Elk in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Elk in Texas

Has anyone had any experience calling elk in Texas? I've got a buddy who has a high fence place in Rocksprings with a number of elk on it. I was wondering if they still rut and bugle in a high fence setting. I would like to give it a shot out there this September just to practice for calling elk out west. Sadly I won't be hunting elk in Colorado until late October, so calling will be out of the question.

Any info will be appreciated.

I live close to a small high fence ranch that has had elk for many years. The rut is usually later (Oct-Nov) but you can certainly hear them bugle and going crazy when the cows come into estrus.

Comment

i hunted a ranch in Sisterdale. the elk on high fence definitely respond to calling.

Comment

Me and a buddy got them to bugling back at us while we were clowning around close to the Longfellow Ranch out between Sanderson and Ft. Stockton. We were on the ranch next door, and supposed to be working, but it was a fun way to waste breaks and lunch on pleasant Oct. day.

Comment

I dunno about Texas Elk but the canines in Arlington sure respond when I practice bugling in my garage.

Comment

My buddy and his brother do it on their ranch out in far west Texas every year with unbelievable success. This isn't high fence though, it is a very large low fence ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
              I live close to a small high fence ranch that has had elk for many years. The rut is usually later (Oct-Nov) but you can certainly hear them bugle and going crazy when the cows come into estrus.
              I'm guessing the hot weather may delay their rut down here a bit. Thanks for the info. I doubt that I'll be able to run around ripping bugles in November when they have all the paid hunters out there.

Comment

No difference than the wild. High fence next to me and they go crazy in late October

Comment

Working...
                X