No announcement yet.

What happened to the crossbow thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow and arroW, Archery. CROSSBOW AND ARROW, ARCHERY.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
      Agreed. I've been bowhunting for 32 yrs and this year I might not get to because of my shoulders and elbows. The work that I do has taken a toll on my body. I really don't care what people think but I might have to hang up the Mathews and go to crossbow. Because I can't see myself not getting out there during bow season. I'll never be the one that complains how someone chases the game they love and how they do it.
      They had a exclusion for people with upper limb disabilities before the change.
      Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
      TPWD also contradicts itself in saying that for the only 3 Archery only counties, crossbows are not allowed..except for those with a disability.

My (Along with others on the opposite side of the discussion) argument wasn't about judging, or how someone hunts. Hunt with your thumb, your foot, a spear, no one cares!!! - as long as it's legal

The argument was whether or not it was Archery or not.
      Personally I think we should be able to fill our tags however please. Why not spot lights or thermal scopes at night? In the end you only get so many tags.
      I wasn't in favor of the change in the favor of crossbows. Still not.
      That said it is legal so why argue it?
      But honestly don't even begin to try to tell me it's archery. It's not even close to the same as having to draw a vertical bow on an animal while it's in close.
      The speed and efficiency of today's crossbows is like a short range gun.
      Then again all the yahoos shooting game at 70+ yards with compounds gives me pause as well.
      I think it may be time for TPWD to consider eliminating the special archery season. There sure as heck isn't anything special about it anymore.

Gary

Comment

I hunt with a crossbow. Is it archery? In the eyes of TPWD yes. In my opinion, I’m on the fence if it’s truly archery or not. What I am sure of, having used both crossbows and vertical bows, is that it is still bowhunting. A broadhead still has to go through the vitals, and you better be still enough and concealed enough to get close enough to do so ethically. With a crossbow my max shot at an animal is 30yds same as with my compound. I do firmly believe company’s like Ravin and their 100 yd “rifle like” commercials are bad for the sport and the image of crossbow hunters.
        Last edited by huntindude; 08-08-2019, 09:15 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Working...
        X