Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Sterling City / Mexico
Lightbulb Generator Repair

I need the greenscreen advice on this one.

I bought a new - Honda EU7000is generator to power my new off grid cabin project. I bought about 2 months ago @ Home Depot. The generator was over $5000 after tax and shipping charges.

I set the thing up, (probably weighs 250lbs) and changed the oil as recommended for the break in period. After only 50 hours the thing started running very rough. Almost like it is starved for gas (almost dying, then over revving, then almost dying). Put under any load the problem worsens. It has even died a few times. It currently has 150 hours.

I have not tried to troubleshoot any of the issues, as its still under the warranty and return period for Home Depot.

I called Home Depot and they are willing to pick it up from me at their cost, and give me a full refund.

Normally I would just accept that I got a lemon, take my refund, and go buy a new one of the same model. (We've already laid an auto-start line in conduit, and purchased expensive accessories for this model like an external gas tank & exhaust lines).

BUT - after the crazy ice storm - there are no big Honda inverter generators available in the USA. Home Depot no loner carries the unit - and the other outlets like Granger, are telling me 2022 before they an get one.

I don't want to let this unit go, and be SOL on getting a new one.

Should I take a refund form Home Depot, or try and find someone to work on the thing?

If I take a refund, I'd probably have to snag on on Ebay - and the current mark-up on these is crazy. I haven't even seen a new one available in the week I've been looking.

Thanks for reading - just looking for how you would handle.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

If it's running at all there can't be much wrong with it. I'd keep it and trouble shoot it. Fuel, air or spark. One is messing up. My guess is fuel.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Sounds like a carb rebuild and new gas - change filter and plugs. I would order a rebuild kit and try to get it running....
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
Sounds like a carb rebuild and new gas - change filter and plugs. I would order a rebuild kit and try to get it running....
This........... it's a fuel problem.........
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Ditto sounds like bad fuel or gummed up carb. Did it sit with fuel in it between uses? At our fish camp I always turn the fuel off and let it run itself out then turn all the switches off (ours cost 10% of yours though so fwiw). But, if it's under warranty I'd think calling Honda might get them to dispatch a tech and handle it for you?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
4BarN
Spike

Run some Seafoam through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4BarN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Fuel or lack there of. I would pull fuel lines and check for something restricting flow. Since it is that new, and unless you put old fuel in it to start I don't think it would be fuel quality issue....unless rain/water got in the fuel...

Make sure if it has an inline filter it isn't clogged or installed the WRONG direction

Also make sure the fuel lines a tight and not allowing air in the line somewhere...

Last edited by BrianL; 03-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

take it to the local Honda dealer and get it fixed under warranty
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
creno63
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Tarpley TX

there is a valve on the bottom of the carb. turn gas off from tank and open valve on bottom of carb to drain out fuel in carb. get all fuel out of tank and replace with new. We have an older 6500 at our lease and this happens to us from time to time.
creno63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
walker1983
Ten Point

Thanks for the feedback.
I am going to try and change the fuel filter.

I emailed Honda as well, but they keep directing me back to Home Depot. I did ask them if they could provide an authorized service dealer. I think they should have to pay the cost of the repairs...

Being that its run poorly for over 100 hours, I don't think it is a fuel quality issue (possibly something like dirt or gunk got into the fuel tank when it was being refilled, but have burned through a lot of gas in 100 hours, and its all been fresh gas).

It has never sat more than a week between being run.

Frustrating thing is that my cheap Harbor Freight Predator 3500 has run for probably 600 hours and never missed a beat. I will tie that thing into my Cabin as a back-up...
Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
doublearrow
Ten Point

While not ideal I would trouble shoot it myself. Change filter, clean jets in carb ect. With the predicament of none available and it powering an off grid cabin doing some small easy things yourself will probably save you a bigger headache.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #12
BrianL
Pope & Young

Couple more..

Remove fuel cap while running to make sure cap is venting and not creating a vacuum.

I bet it is something in tank clogged at fuel spout/drain, something stuck in a fuel line, filter, loose fuel hose fitting, or fuel line got a hole rubbed in it somewhere.

And change the spark plug
Old 03-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Remove fuel cap while running to make sure cap is venting and not creating a vacuum.
Good point, especially because he mentioned plumbing an external fuel tank for extended running so it may be having issues pulling from that tank as well.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
walker1983
Ten Point

Again - good advice above. I will make a list to troubleshoot.

I just got off the phone w/ a small engine mechanic - the guy I talked to was convinced that

A) I made a terrible choice going w/ an inverter for my primary power source

and

B)we likely have already overworked the generator by using power tools etc. - and it's basically worn out (like it could already be broken beyond repair)

He was not a fan of the inverters.

I did a bunch of research before buying the Honda, and now am kind of back to square one.

My cabin is 900 SF, usually draws between 1000W and about 4000watts of power when everything is turned on (3 mini split AC's, water pump, lights, etc.)

Should I have gone w/ a Propane Generator from the get-go? This would be my opportunity to take my $5200 and go get something else. I do have a 500 gallon propane tank for all my other appliances, but need to make a decision on which way to go...

If you went w/ propane, what would you buy?, and what is the ballpark cost?

What say you!?
Old 03-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #15
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1983 View Post
Again - good advice above. I will make a list to troubleshoot.

I just got off the phone w/ a small engine mechanic - the guy I talked to was convinced that

A) I made a terrible choice going w/ an inverter for my primary power source

and

B)we likely have already overworked the generator by using power tools etc. - and it's basically worn out (like it could already be broken beyond repair)

He was not a fan of the inverters.

I did a bunch of research before buying the Honda, and now am kind of back to square one.

My cabin is 900 SF, usually draws between 1000W and about 4000watts of power when everything is turned on (3 mini split AC's, water pump, lights, etc.)

Should I have gone w/ a Propane Generator from the get-go? This would be my opportunity to take my $5200 and go get something else. I do have a 500 gallon propane tank for all my other appliances, but need to make a decision on which way to go...

If you went w/ propane, what would you buy?, and what is the ballpark cost?

What say you!?
At that price point if you are DIY’ing the install, you aren’t far from the cost of a small propane-powered standby generator. Might be a better route to take for the way you are using it.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

My EU3000 did that...try a new plug
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
Joe H
Ten Point

Try a new plug. Hondas are very bad about wanting a new plug. I don't care if it has spark, get a new plug

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
perryr
Eight Point

I have the same generator and I would take it to an Honda dealer for warranty repair. These are all computer controlled. The dealer should be able to plug into to see exactly what’s wrong. This model is fuel injected, not carbureted. Don’t let the small engine guy scare you away. These are one of the most reliable generators available (hence the price).

FWIW, I would take it to a Honda Motorcycle shop for service instead of a small engine shop.
perryr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #19
walker1983
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
At that price point if you are DIY’ing the install, you aren’t far from the cost of a small propane-powered standby generator. Might be a better route to take for the way you are using it.
That's what i am thinking. Maybe a 10K-15K Generac.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #20
BrianL
Pope & Young

Do you have the vent open on your extended run tank?
Old 03-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #21
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Man oh man, if you've already got the 500 gallon tank I'd be hard pressed to choose anything other than a propane powered generator. That eliminates a lot of gas can hauling and gives you a constant fuel source you never have to refill in the middle of the night, even with your external gas tank it'll still need to be filled. I think I'd take that money back while you have the chance and switch gears.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #22
walker1983
Ten Point

Quote:
Do you have the vent open on your extended run tank?

I don’t have the extended run tank hooked up.

I hooked it up once - filled the gas tank and the external tank.
Turned on generator and came back a couple hours later to gas spilled out all over the floor - I guess it was overfilling the generators main tank...

I just unhooked the external tank and put the factory gas cap back on the generator.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the current issues.

This is how I have it. Been running it with the door open for ventilation. I think it is adequately ventilated - but maybe that is a factor was well...

Last edited by walker1983; 03-26-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #23
bwssr
Pope & Young

They make propane kits for those. I have one for the EU3000
Old 03-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
BrianL
Pope & Young

If none of the above work, try to take off all your mods and see if it runs ok stock. If so, then you have narrowed it down to your mod. Looking at that pic I wonder if it is air intake/exhaust.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #25
walker1983
Ten Point

Quote:
If none of the above work, try to take off all your mods and see if it runs ok stock. If so, then you have narrowed it down to your mod. Looking at that pic I wonder if it is air intake/exhaust.
thanks - it was running like crap before the extended exhaust hose was put on, but I will look into the ventilation/air intake.

It usually sounds OK when it first starts - then gets to sounding crappy when after it has heated up...
Old 03-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #26
walker1983
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
They make propane kits for those. I have one for the EU3000
Do you have an idea of how much propane your 3000 burns per hour or standard run time?

I have a 500 gal propane tank, and that conversion might be a good idea for me.

From what i am reading, the big Generac's would burn through my propane tank fairly quickly.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #27
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
It usually sounds OK when it first starts - then gets to sounding crappy when after it has heated up...
That sounds like vent constriction is possible, runs fine until it starts to build up a little vacuum.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #28
marlinboy33
Eight Point

Hunt In: campbellton

Spark arrestor maybe
marlinboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #29
Copanocruisin
Four Point

Just to note, It sounds to me if you small engine mechanic advice is out in left field. I really do not see the inverter making the engine run all wacko. There are a lot of folks on the RV forums that run inverter generators, heck, I have a Champion 8750/7000 open frame inverter generator with a hook up to the house and RV, no issues. Just saying......cC
Copanocruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #30
C-dubyah
Six Point

After you get this mess figured out, go to nextdoor app and shop in their tool section. It might not happen over night but it will eventually. I bought a new Briggs& Stratton 8500 practically brand new for $280. I took it to a small engine service place and they brought everything up to speed for $50. Now I have a brand new badazz 8500 for $330. Go shopping!
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #31
bwssr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Do you have an idea of how much propane your 3000 burns per hour or standard run time?

I have a 500 gal propane tank, and that conversion might be a good idea for me.

From what i am reading, the big Generac's would burn through my propane tank fairly quickly.
Haven't hooked it up....but my whole house 22kw will run 4 days at full cap....from a 250 gallon tank. Propane is cleaner...and won't go bad....you can still run gas
Old 03-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #32
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Return the Honda. Start fresh if you can. I feel HD sells lesser quality built brand names. Get the new one if they are offering.
Propane gens are the way to go. Much less to have to deal with.
Take a look at this one. Duel fuel. A tad over a grand delivering 12,500watts and a 50a receptacle.
https://smile.amazon.com/Westinghous...N81WCNJWQG4PTC
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #33
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Propane is probably the least efficient way to go, but convienent.

You might wanna run calculations on how much propane you will use vs. cost of propane.

Especially the larger whole house, it is cheaper to stay at a Holiday Inn than run the gen set.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Get on line and find an authorized Honda Power Equipment dealer and take it there. I have the EU6500is (the carb version of that one) and that 7000 is one of THE best, most dependable gen sets on the planet. Honda does not make "lesser quality" inverter sets depending on where they're sold. The more you mess around with it, the more likely you will do something to it that will "void" the warranty. Let Honda fix it.
That Honda will be running LONG after any Generac gen set has seen it's last day, and that inverter power is the cleanest power you can generate at home. That small engine repair guy is an idiot!
In your later description of the issue where you said it runs "fine" for a while then starts to run rough, may indicate some of the electronics are messed up... might not be fuel-related. Those injected engines are almost bullet proof... If you want to run Propane, you can get a kit for that 7000 off Amazon. That will make it actually dual fuel so you can still run gasoline too.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Here you go... IF the generator is in Midland (Your TBH location), there's no less than 7 authorized service centers...

https://powerequipment.honda.com/dealer-locator
Old 03-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Propane kit...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EU700...=&toolid=10001
Old 03-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #37
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

I have one just like that and there is no better generator made.
It's fuel injected so kick all the advice about gunked carb etc. to the curb.
99% chance your problem is caused by the modifications done to the fuel system- more than likely it is sucking air. Try raising the aux tank above the generator and see if that helps.
No luck there try putting it back to stock and watch it purr like a kitten.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #38
walker1983
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
I have one just like that and there is no better generator made.
It's fuel injected so kick all the advice about gunked carb etc. to the curb.
99% chance your problem is caused by the modifications done to the fuel system- more than likely it is sucking air. Try raising the aux tank above the generator and see if that helps.
No luck there try putting it back to stock and watch it purr like a kitten.
Thanks,
The only modification currently on the generator is the exhaust hose extender. I put that on after it started running rough to try and vent the exhaust out the door...

(my plan was to cut a hole in the side of my well house and vent the exhaust hose directly outside)

I agree that it could be an airflow issue.

I am going to try and place the generator completely outside and see if maybe running the generator outside in completely open air will make a difference. If that fixes it, then I have some modifications to do to my well house like maybe installing a fan in the wall to blow fresh air into the intake.

If it still sounds rough after my next test, I will take it to one of the shops in town, or San Angelo.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will update when I head out there next.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #39
walker1983
Ten Point

Here is my cabin and well house. I laid an auto start line and power in conduit from the cabin to the well house.
I was running the generator in that well house with the door open.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #40
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Do not run it close to your house. 10 to 15 ft mi. due to exhaust. Is the fule shut off valve open all the way? Just a thought.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #41
4BarN
Spike

I would not run the generator in the well house. It needs to be outside. It will get too hot and burn up some of the components. This happened to a friend of mine. There need lots to be alot of air circulation.

4BarN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #42
Bowhunter1994
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Sounds like an easy fix

Bowhunter1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #43
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

WOW, that's a nice cabin!! Great looking set up! I think you will find that genny will purr like a kitten out in the open... You can still put it in the well house if you ventilate it properly... maybe leave the bottom 1 foot to 18" open all the way around... put hardware cloth on it to prevent animals from entering, but still allowing free air flow... a small exhaust fan near the top will remove a lot of heat. Remember, that Honda is pretty much enclosed already so putting it inside an enclosure will only add to the heat... might try removing some of the panels off the genny if running it in the open works if you want to put it back in the pump house. I like your concept!