Oilfield guys... y’all hangin in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
    It sure does. My monthly gas bill is lower when the price per barrel is down and my monthly gas bill is higher when the price per barrel is up.

So how much did your gas bill go down on Sunday when the price of oil fell?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Yea nobody else here in another industry is happy when they get something nice. GTFO with yalls crap.

Fuel prices havent been crazy in 10-12 years.
      And no one in another industry gets on a hunting site and ****** and moans about taking paying cut, losing a job, having to find other work, etc.

Actually, gas prices from 2011-2014 were high.

2011-$3.40; 2012-$3.12; 2013-$3.17; 2014-$3.08

Not exactly 10-12 years ago.

Comment

Yea nobody else here in another industry is happy when they get something nice. GTFO with yalls crap.

Fuel prices havent been crazy in 10-12 years.
        Agree. No need to post BS like that.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          10-12 years ago the economy was crap and fuel prices were 4.00 a gallon, economy is great with cheap fuel these days. Can someone explain?
          The economy was doing fine at 50-60 dollars a barrel last year and the beginning of this year. What is the point you are trying to make?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
            That is a local economy not the US economy. Apples and oranges.
            Not really, petroleum products are every where. May not be oilfield direct related, but in some other form.

I truly doubt that any plastic manufacturer is going to reduce the price of their product the same way the market changes the price of oil. Just would not be profitable for them

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Not really, petroleum products are every where. May not be oilfield direct related, but in some other form.

I truly doubt that any plastic manufacturer is going to reduce the price of their product the same way the market changes the price of oil. Just would not be profitable for them
              I buy 1000s and 1000s of feet of plastic pipe a year. It fluctuates directly with the price of oil. At times it can save me and others it cost me. Prices in pipe move fast.

Comment

And no one in another industry gets on a hunting site and ****** and moans about taking paying cut, losing a job, having to find other work, etc.

And this isn’t a banner blasted at the top forcing you to see it. You intentionally opened an oil thread to be a *****. Quite a few people here from all walks of life express how it sucks when they get laid off. Believe it or not someone’s gotta do these jobs too.

Also if those gas prices you listed are exorbitant I feel for you because you have bigger issues than the price of fuel unless you haul for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  I buy 1000s and 1000s of feet of plastic pipe a year. It fluctuates directly with the price of oil. At times it can save me and others it cost me. Prices in pipe move fast.
                  So you are saying that the price of oil affects the global economy and not a regional?

Comment

So you are saying that the price of oil affects the global economy and not a regional?
                    As a whole lower sustainable prices are good for the US. Rock bottom sky falling prices are not because then it reaches into housing and banks.

It can really hurt lots of people regionally though.

Comment

So how much did your gas bill go down on Sunday when the price of oil fell?
                      I dont know yet. It has been 3 days, but I know it will go down probably around $100-$150 per month if prices stay where they are today. But now I dont have to drive my Honda Civic everyday, 106 miles round trip. My wife drives 85 miles round trip, everyday. I do know that it will decrease and I can spend that money elsewhere.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but if it is not, this is one of the reason people have disdain for oilfield workers. Who the hell are you to question me and act like the difference, regardless of how much it is is not significant to me and my family? $2 or $100. It affects me positively.

Comment

The price of oil, whether it is up or down truly does effect everybody, it just depends on which side of the coin you are on.
                        I have spent my entire career in the trucking industry in one sector or another. I can tell you the trucking industry hates high fuel prices but when they are high, guess who pays? You and I do because the trucking companies tack on fuel surcharges and those higher prices eventually all roll down hill to us the consumer.
                        Working for a truck dealer now, a pretty high percentage of our business is oilfield related and our business will be directly affected by what is going on now and we are not even in the business.
                        So, yes, we are all affected by the price of oil, high or low and I just pray it stabilizes at a level where we all can prosper.

Comment

I will!!!
                          I’m a heavy commercial, industrial and process HVAC Mechanical Contractor and several of our accounts have items manufactured for the gas and oil industry.
                          So, oil turns way down and guess what..... motor plant that has a line of motors specific for oil field and they have a decent inventory, yup, that line gets shutdown until the demand returns and the factory workers down to the entry level person that bolts the peckerhead to the side of the motor housing gets laid off.
                          That’s just one example as we have multiple accounts that manufacture some of their product for oil and gas.

Us, well when this occurs at the plants we have under contract with scheduled maintenance/rebuilds/equipment replacements/energy efficiency upgrades etc they put holds on POs and budgets, or if a line gets shut down indefinitely they cancel our work until it goes back on line..... when that happens we lose work as well as our electrical, pipe fitter, sheet metal, etc sub-contractors.

You really don’t have a clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a whole lower sustainable prices are good for the US. Rock bottom sky falling prices are not because then it reaches into housing and banks.

It can really hurt lots of people regionally though.
                            Yes sir, that is what I said earlier oil prices affect everyone, some folk do not understand that. I have also seen price gouging in the oilfield to the extent that it can kill businesses off. Its a double edged sword.

I am diversified enough in my business not to get killed with low priced oil, I have had to learn that from years of experience. I deal with Halliburton, Schlumberger, on the frac side and on the AI side I deal with smaller companies.

Comment

I'm only talking US economy as you bring a whole new caveat of factors in when discussing Global. Low oil prices are better for the economy compared to high. It has less impact on the Texas economy compared to 70s and 80s. Texas is not a one trick pony anymore and that is a good thing. Austn is a huge tech town. Dallas is a huge Corp town. Houston and West Texas will definitely be hurt if prices stay this low. The State as a whole will be hurt some but it wont crush the state like it would have in the 80s.
                              Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Yes sir, that is what I said earlier oil prices affect everyone, some folk do not understand that. I have also seen price gouging in the oilfield to the extent that it can kill businesses off. Its a double edged sword.

I am diversified enough in my business not to get killed with low priced oil, I have had to learn that from years of experience. I deal with Halliburton, Schlumberger, on the frac side and on the AI side I deal with smaller companies.
                                Yep. People really don’t understand we don’t want it crazy either. We have the same expenses they do. I drive 280 miles round trip daily to my office. Like anybody else with a commute that’s my decision to live and work where I do but I do have that added fuel and vehicle maintenance cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X