No announcement yet.

Opinion on this Ford truck for my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I could drop that kind of coin on a truck that is that old. I have owned Fords and Chevy's, but always had issues with older Fords, be it gas or diesel. I bought my oldest a brand new Chevy Camaro in 2016 for 14K out the door. It is a V6 and nothing fancy, but he has driven it all the way through college, and still driving it now. He started in a beater Chevy single cab that I still drive off and on to this day, and will be my youngest son's first vehicle. I just can't see paying that much for a vehicle that didn't cost much more than that new, but to each his own.

Comment

Get him an older Toyota truck.

Comment

Another thing to consider would be insurance.
        If your son totals it, I would imagine they will only give you what blue book value is.
        Which looks to be less than 5k.

Comment

Put me in the minority here, but I wouldnt run from that truck because of fuel mileage. Its a truck, it doesnt get 20mpg... If I were you, and could get it for a price I felt was fare to good, I’d buy it. But I also like the older trucks compared to new and know a 25 year old truck with only 175k miles has a lot of life left in it. Last tid bit, it was told to me when I was looking for a truck in HS, and I follow it now. Teach a kid to drive a standard and he/she will be able to drive anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Overall the 460's had a good reputation. I don't think you'll have a problem there if it was maintained. Even with 175k on the engine you still have to deal with owning and maintaining a 20+ year old vehicle, things will need to be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Back in high school that was my first truck. 1997 f250 w the 460 5spd. Mine got 11 flat mpg when solo or pulling a boat. It had about that many miles when i bought it and about 230k when i sold it. That motor is solid. No problems at all with mine.

Now this was back im 2001 - 2002 so age may be a factor but if its as clean as you say, you'll be fine. But geez i dont think ill ever buy another pickup the way prices are. Good luck man, holler if you have any specific questions.

Comment

My daughter drives a 96 F250 4x4 Crew with the 460 and she loves it. Truck has 250K and I would have no issue driving it across country.

Comment

Working...
                X