Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24650076
    Click image for larger version

Name:	700 gal water trough 2.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24650077

Here's what we did. I actually built a cover for the 700gal water trough and my ranch owner would come by and fill them with a big water tank on a trailer. See pics.. Looks like he's drinking a beer in this one..

Comment

How long until it goes dry in summer months?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        I don't know why people are trying cottonseed at it's current prices... might as well go with Protein

CS still $150+ less per ton…

Less loss to non target species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone ever had deer not eat cottonseed

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
          CS still $150+ less per ton…

Less loss to non target species.

Not sure what you’re buying but as of last week CS was 360-380 a ton.

Some of the prices I got were 400/ton

RHR protein is around 445/ton from the last time I checked
          Last edited by kyle1974; 05-02-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spino~ View Post
            [ATTACH]1048319[/ATTACH]

What kind of cottonseed feeders are you using? This is a basic cottonseed feeder that has worked for me in the George West/Freer area of south Texas..
            Mine is very similar

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              I don't know why people are trying cottonseed at it's current prices... might as well go with Protein
              Feeding protein also. Roughly same price, unfortunately I can't find in bulk so been buying it bagged at $14.95 a 50lb bag

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The last price I was quoted was $450/ton.

Comment

You can get 1,000lb totes from blue ribbon in Beeville TX for $200..

Name:	cotton seed totes.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24650100

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                    How long until it goes dry in summer months?

We don't let it go dry, the ranch owner is frequent in visiting the ranch, LOL, he's retired. He loves doing these kind of things. I can only think that the 700gal troughs only get about 1/2 way before he is filling them. To be specific to you question, it depends on the deer density and how frequent you can check them.. Water is the main ingredient in south Texas! Good question!

Comment

We don't let it go dry, the ranch owner is frequent in visiting the ranch, LOL, he's retired. He loves doing these kind of things. I can only think that the 700gal troughs only get about 1/2 way before he is filling them. To be specific to you question, it depends on the deer density and how frequent you can check them.. Water is the main ingredient in south Texas! Good question!
                      I’m looking to possibly adding water troughs to my areas on the lease. Was looking at 300 gal. I don’t want to run totes with hoses etc. We can go to lease at the end of every month in the off season, i was just curious to see if you thought they might last that long? Density isn’t that high 1-20 per acre
                      Last edited by jason86; 05-02-2021, 09:10 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by austinmike View Post
                        Mix it with corn
                        X2 this, maybe?

The same way bacon on any chow works on humans, corn on anything works for deer. Unless white oak acorns are falling, then deer will step over corn for a tasty acorn.

Comment

Name:	deer water trough.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24650105

Jason86,

Again water is the main ingredient to attracting deer! We even have little 50gal water troughs through the ranch, but you have to keep the deer honest by keeping them filled. Trust me the deer will come if there is not a near by water source. Go to google earth and view your hunting area for near by tanks/water sources. If there is none within a mile radius you may have a deer magnet by keeping water on your ranch. Good luck & this is fun stuff that we do!!!!

Comment

[ATTACH]1048361[/ATTACH]

Jason86,

Again water is the main ingredient to attracting deer! We even have little 50gal water troughs through the ranch, but you have to keep the deer honest by keeping them filled. Trust me the deer will come if there is not a near by water source. Go to google earth and view your hunting area for near by tanks/water sources. If there is none within a mile radius you may have a deer magnet by keeping water on your ranch. Good luck & this is fun stuff that we do!!!!
                            I know where the water sources are and I know water is key. I want to put a water trough in my feed pen and I am curious as to how long about 300 gallons would last. About how long does it take for the 700 gallon troughs to get half full? A week? A month? A year?

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                              I know where the water sources are and I know water is key. I want to put a water trough in my feed pen and I am curious as to how long about 300 gallons would last. About how long does it take for the 700 gallon troughs to get half full? A week? A month? A year?
                              Jason86,

I hunt two ranches in south Texas and this particular ranch was right at 200 acres (For the wife and I only). It is low fenced and my deer density is very high. In one sitting we saw a total of 30 deer, again it's low fenced surrounded by other bigger ranches. I know the ranch owner is out there at lease every two weeks checking on the water troughs. My best advice is to have a plan of going every month like you said and do what you can to proved water (budget) for the deer and make adjustments from there. In the area you hunt "water" will be your best investment. Might also get some covers for the water to prevent evaporation to help the water last longer if that makes sense.. I like your enthusiasm on drawing/holding deer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by g2outfitter View Post
                                so been buying it bagged at $14.95 a 50lb bag

Comment

Working...
                                X