No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever had deer not eat cottonseed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put some out last season and nothing touched it.

Comment

I have had a hard time getting protein feed going
      Cotton seed they seem to just start eating, maybe because it’s got corn being thrown on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
        I tried it it in Hill county and they wouldn't eat it.
        I tried it Brady several years ago and they wouldn't touch it but those same deer now eat 500lbs of protein in a week(until I put it on a timer).. They ate protien from day one..

Comment

If they haven’t already been introduced to CS now is probably not the most opportune time to introduce it with all the natural browse available. Plus, you say you have protein as well? Bottom line...they ain’t hungry. I assume you probably have corn too, so with the natural browse, corn and protein there is no need for them to try something new if they don’t need.

Wait until next year and try it again but earlier, say in January, when they are pulled down hard from the winter and most need it. Sprinkle in some corn on top and they will eventually take to it.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2hunt View Post
            I too hunt Young county. I have been feeding cottonseed for a year now. I had to put corn around the base and on top to get them interested. Now they clean me out every 2 weeks. I watch a lot of deer go to cottonseed 1st before protein. Give it some time and help it with corn.
            Thanks, I will try that here in about 4 weeks when I get back up to the lease.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We fed it in Coke county outside Angelo a few years ago and it sat for a while and deer rarely touched it. They eventually ate it, but it took a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                I tried it Brady several years ago and they wouldn't touch it but those same deer now eat 500lbs of protein in a week(until I put it on a timer).. They ate protien from day one..
                When we were neighbors out that way the deer on our side of the fence ate Cottonseed all the time. Probably 15 tons of it every year....

For those of you trying to get your deer started on it.... I've been know to put Rice Bran, BB2 or crushed sugar beet powder all over the cottonseed to help get them started as well..
                Last edited by DamonJ; 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I don't know why people are trying cottonseed at it's current prices... might as well go with Protein

Comment

Yes, I put some out the week before that cold weather in Feb, its been totally ignored yet they would paw the snow away to get to the corn.

Comment

We feed cotton seed. Strangely I have one feeder that gets hit hard, about 120 lbs per week. They just barely pick a second deployment.

When it gets hot they feed in both heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        I don't know why people are trying cottonseed at it's current prices... might as well go with Protein
                        Yep, high AF right now.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cotton seed eating.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	24650072

What kind of cottonseed feeders are you using? This is a basic cottonseed feeder that has worked for me in the George West/Freer area of south Texas..

Comment

Name:	cottonseed full 2.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24650073

Here's what the cotton seed feeder looked 4wks earlier...

Comment

Name:	water cotton seed 1.JPG
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	24650074

It's been my experience that water needs to be close by... I hunt a small place between George West & Freer Tx and also a large ranch between Freer & Laredo..
                              Last edited by Spino~; 05-02-2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spino~ View Post
                                [ATTACH]1048322[/ATTACH]

It's been my experience that water needs to be close by... I hunt a small place between George West & Freer Tx and also a large ranch between Freer & Laredo..
                                Do you have a water line to that trough? Or do you refill it somehow?

Comment

Working...
                                X