X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

375 Ruger

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda2525 View Post
      I have an apr 7mm-08 with 20" barrel and it shot about 20 animals this fall with 140g accubonds. I was impressed with its performance. I run a silencerco omega on it and there is minimal recoil or noise.
      Also want to run a short suppressor

Comment

I have a pair of Shilen barreled .358 Winchesters that will kill anything on our side of the ocean to about 250 yards or so, one has a 19 inch barrel, and one has a 20 inch. Both are on Remington actions. Magnums need longer barrels. I shoot bullets up to 287 grains, and not far behind the .35 Whelen, but on short actions. Pretty much a reloader's cartridge, though, if that matters.

Comment

I had the same quest with my APR build last year and went with the 300WSM at 22” after tons of research. It’s a very efficient round. And a hammer

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Also want to run a short suppressor

And recoil must be 10ft/lbs or less, readily available factory ammo guaranteed at 1/4 moa or better....

I kid!! I enjoy the challenge and theoretical debates on threads like this.

In seriousness a short/small suppressor will limit cartridge choice especially given the barrel length. So I'm really thinking a short action magnum with a quick burning powder and lighter for caliber bullet might be the only way to make this unicorn happen.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
              And recoil must be 10ft/lbs or less, readily available factory ammo guaranteed at 1/4 moa or better....

I kid!! I enjoy the challenge and theoretical debates on threads like this.

In seriousness a short/small suppressor will limit cartridge choice especially given the barrel length. So I'm really thinking a short action magnum with a quick burning powder and lighter for caliber bullet might be the only way to make this unicorn happen.

Definitely the way I’m leaning, just thought there would be a lot more options.

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

You don’t have to over think this. Efficiency and laser like trajectory don’t belong in the same sentence simple as that.

A 308 Win or 7mm-08 Rem are the standout choices in efficiency , there are numerous cartridges that will shoot flatter than those two.

What happen to a persons shooting/hunting skills where a ol ought six was good enough? Seems like folks now days have to have the latest super duper whiz bang round to even think they can go out in the woods and be successful.

Comment

Apparently I don’t have a picture of it with the adjustable cheek riser and Omega 300 on it.
                  It sounds really good suppressed and is sub-28” even with the can.
                  Attached Files

Comment

FWIW, I load both of my 338 WSM and 300 WSM with Hodgdon 414 or Win 760 ball powder. Both meter well.
                    760 seems to be the cleaner burning powder but both have same accuracy and velocities.
                    Both are considered to be medium burn rate.
                    Also I do not ever get velocity equal to factory ammo with 150 gr nosler ballistic silvertips. Winchester uses a proprietary powder that I have no clue what it is. I only get around 3100 fps with 150 gr noslers and around 3150 with Barnes 150 TSX.
                    On the 338 I can push it to 3240 with Barnes 185's but the powder charge is way more and that is OK with a bigger diameter bore.
                    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 01-23-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      What kind of velocity would you expect a .300WSM with 20 inch barrel shooting 150 nosiler ballistic tips?

Just a SWAG but probably 28-2900 ?? Definitely a solid option but requires a mag bolt face as I’m sure you know. I’d put that above a CM option any day

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I’ll throw out another option that has not been listed.

300 RCM

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                          You don’t have to over think this. Efficiency and laser like trajectory don’t belong in the same sentence simple as that.

A 308 Win or 7mm-08 Rem are the standout choices in efficiency , there are numerous cartridges that will shoot flatter than those two.

What happen to a persons shooting/hunting skills where a ol ought six was good enough? Seems like folks now days have to have the latest super duper whiz bang round to even think they can go out in the woods and be successful.
                          I was going to suggest a .30-06 as that’s my choice for just about everything, and they don’t suffer horribly from a 20” barrel, I doubt they can run a 150 at 3000 fps. It will be dang close with the right load.

Not going to have laser like trajectory, need a smaller diameter bullet to get the BC up.

Lots of kids out west kill elk with a .243 Winchester though.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-23-2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            Just a SWAG but probably 28-2900 ?? Definitely a solid option but requires a mag bolt face as I’m sure you know. I’d put that above a CM option any day

Sierracharlie out....

My 20” 308 Rem 700 5R gets 2800 with 175 Bergers so I don’t see the advantage to the WSM if that’s all it will do with a 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              My 20” 308 Rem 700 5R gets 2800 with 175 Bergers so I don’t see the advantage to the WSM if that’s all it will do with a 150.

My numbers were a 100% guess so could be wrong there. Personally I’d go 308 or 7-08. I’ve spent a lot of time behind a 20” 308 and know what it is capable of so we are in agreement

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

A guy on a nosler forum claimed 20” 300wsm 150gr should get 3200-3250

Comment

Working...
                                X