my son knocked down an old tank saturday night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my son knocked down an old tank saturday night

epic dad fail on the pics of this buck, when it was all said and done by the time we got him to the truck we just wanted to go get something to drink, i wish we would have taken the time.

i took my 14yo out saturday afternoon to a spot we have not far from the house, it was his first sit this season. my cam had been dead for 3-4 days but the last couple pulls showed this buck we called "droptine" and "the big 8" were both still around pretty regular and both were on the list for my boys.

we figure droptine was a 7yo and the 8 is probably 5 or 6.

we were in a pop up on the ground, 20y from the corn pile with a bear crossbow on a fieldpod.

we had a nice young 9 come in around 430p and then 3 doe behind him that he chased around for a few mins before they all disappeared. at about 515p we had a line of doe start trickling in, 6 in all, and then the tank appeared out of the brush behind them. i recognized him as droptine as soon as he stepped out and told brock which deer it was, his breathing became clearly audible

we still had 12 doe eyes within 25y so i was trying to keep him calm, although i was probably more nervous at this point than he was.

droptine came straight in and turned a bit to our right, brock had his head down on the scope ready to go and i was telling him to wait for him to turn a little more, there was probably a good shot available, but i didnt want to chance it.....a few seconds go by and the buck jogs off after a doe to our right and my heart sank. i kept saying he'll come back, hoping.... he stopped behind a tree not offering a shot and stood there for about 15sec before he made his way back to the corn pile.

he walked past the corn now going to our left and stopped again, behind a tree....then he turned back facing our right and started walking slow. he cleared the trees, i could see brock tracking him with the xbow and as soon as he stopped behind the corn pile, i said, get him if youre on him.

thwack! he was slightly quartering away and the shot was perfect. he jumped and ran off to our right, blood spewing out, then made a small turn to his left and disappeared into the brush almost straight away from us.

ol' droptine didnt make it 40 the 125g rage 2 blade did a number on him, great entry and through the shoulder on the exit, which strangely had no blood at all. his heart and insides were shredded.

then came the fun part. this stand is in a bottom on the other side of a big creek from where we access the place. so we had a drag ahead of us, in the slippery mud. we field dressed him and it still took us a little over 45mins to get him to the truck, by the time we got there, it was dark, we were hot and tired, and we just wanted some water, so we didnt get a chance to take any good pics.

the pics dont do him justice , especially the one with brock holding him, the taxidermist just messaged me that he had a 24" neck. i was trying to talk him into just doing a euro but he begged for a shoulder mount because he wanted to show off the head and neck on this donkey

pics coming...
    Last edited by jshouse; 12-05-2022, 12:53 PM.

Pics. his bases were all kinds of gnarly, and we didnt know but he had something sticking off the back of the left side that was broken off.

that exit looked just like that when we found him.

he was just under 18" wide.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jshouse; 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Gnarly ! Congrats to Brock !

Comment

Cool buck,yes it looks like he had some more junk as well.Congratulations

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to Brock!

Comment

Congrats, cool buck

Comment

Heck of a buck. Congratulations!

Comment

Very cool buck!!!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is an awesome deer. Congrats young man!

Comment

Congrats to your Son! Great deer!

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet. Good shooting.

Comment

Super cool old buck! Congrats to him!

Comment

What a great buck! Congrats to your son!

Comment

Working...
                              X