For those having a house built….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those having a house built….

I can’t hold back anymore. The $$&% I see weekly makes me madder and madder and they get away with this DAILY.

IF you are having shower build. Ask questions and take pics!!!! If it don’t make sense it probably isn’t right. I can’t take on any more builders than I have but I get calls and pics almost weekly from the worst hacks I’ve ever seen

The quality of workmen is one thing, and I won’t run a man down on that. That’s between him and person writing the check. But where I will put in on blast is malicious and reckless build quality that will fail on day 1 but won’t show the leak till they are off hook.

I see on almost every job:

Improper material
    Improper drain
    Improper waterproof… or 100% lack there of
    Non reinforced transition
    Improper substrate placement

Laying tile ain’t rocket science…. But not flooding a home is more involved than owning a wet saw or watching YouTube

IF anyone has questions on here or are tackling a project pm me or call/text. I hate to see people pay these scam artists frauds and have very expensive damages down the road.

One I just got sent pics of, builder should be hung

Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      I can’t hold back anymore. The $$&% I see weekly makes me madder and madder and they get away with this DAILY.

IF you are having shower build. Ask questions and take pics!!!! If it don’t make sense it probably isn’t right. I can’t take on any more builders than I have but I get calls and pics almost weekly from the worst hacks I’ve ever seen

The quality of workmen is one thing, and I won’t run a man down on that. That’s between him and person writing the check. But where I will put in on blast is malicious and reckless build quality that will fail on day 1 but won’t show the leak till they are off hook.

I see on almost every job:

Improper material
      Improper drain
      Improper waterproof… or 100% lack there of
      Non reinforced transition
      Improper substrate placement

Laying tile ain’t rocket science…. But not flooding a home is more involved than owning a wet saw or watching YouTube

IF anyone has questions on here or are tackling a project pm me or call/text. I hate to see people pay these scam artists frauds and have very expensive damages down the road.

One I just got sent pics of, builder should be hung
      I share the same sentiment, after walking through a few homes being built by production builders, they scare they heck out of me. I'm sure there are builder's of all quality levels that are guilty of it to different degrees but I don't know how some of these people sleep at night.

Comment

What line of work are you in?

I'm assuming you are talking mostly about production builds?

Comment

unfortunately, this is the direction that the trades are headed with the flood of illegals across the boarder. When I was a young man guys in the trades took pride in their work, did a good job, had a good reputation, etc.

Now a days as a homeowner you have to be fully engaged and knowledgeable to what a contractor is doing on your job and how, I've told several of them to stop *** they were doing as it was not right can called their boss to come take a look. I won't hire someone to work on my home that I can't develop a personal relationship with.

Comment

90 percent of new homeowners today do not know a thing about the trades.... I am glad that I spent my summers during college working in the HVAC industry and at a lumber yard.

Comment

Originally posted by voke View Post
              What line of work are you in?

I'm assuming you are talking mostly about production builds?
              I only do custom and higher end remodels. I don’t touch builders grade or cookie cutter stuff…. One reason is I don’t want my name tied to that work. I’d bet that 98% of ALL spec homes in my area have showers that will fail well within 5 years.

Those guys are bidding against each other and cutting every corner they can to try and make the loss back up. I don’t bid, my customers have already had that “quality “ before. So they don’t even shop it

More than 1 way to skin a cat…. But there are still guidelines to skinning it. Waterproofing is a step I personally wouldn’t leave out in a shower… but I do things different. Lol

Comment

…. If you ever see anything that looks like this. STOP…. And this ain’t the worst I’ve seen or one today
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks beautiful to me[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

You could not be more right, sir!

I learned a long time ago that just because something is outside of my wheelhouse, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t question what doesn’t make sense. Without fail, I’ve either avoided a bad outcome or, at the very least, learned something new.

Comment

I had a new home built in 2019. Move forward three years. Through my divorce I gladly gave up that new home in an upscale subdivision. I now have a home that was built in the 40’s. Night and day difference in the quality. I hated that 2019 house from the day I saw the krappy framing job it started with. I feel so much better in my current home.

Comment

It ain’t just the showers. It’s foundation to framing to roof. See it every day. I was in a $1.5m pile of trash in Frisco the other day with a final green tag on the kitchen counter. From a ‘reputable’ builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I hear ya. The wife and I bought our current home in December 2020. It was built solid in 2003 by a custom home builder, who also, built most of the surrounding homes. We loved the bones but the wife wanted an update. So we used what we thought was a high end home renovation company. This was after the freeze and I guess they had trouble finding skilled workers. They had to redo many things that they thought were right. Some was just flat out laughable though. They couldn’t even put on door handles correctly(installed vertical and not horizontal). Finally, after almost a year, they did finish. We are happy but still find stuff that we know is wrong. We are covered under a year warranty thank god. We are now having to have them come out to redo the shower. I guess there is a leak they can’t find that is warping the wood in our bedroom to the point that you can barely close the door to the bathroom. They will have to tear it all down, fix the leak, rebuild shower and replace the custom wood floor. Hopefully they get it done quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                            It ain’t just the showers. It’s foundation to framing to roof. See it every day. I was in a $1.5m pile of trash in Frisco the other day with a final green tag on the kitchen counter. From a ‘reputable’ builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yep we had a tornado with hail that got our roof along with about 50,000 other homes in the area, the insurance company had a list of preferred roofing companies, the one who did our roof didn’t pass inspection after completed , reroof America declared bankruptcy after insurance paid them directly
                            So we basically have zero recourse except to pay for another roof
                            And I don’t trust anyone in the area .

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                              unfortunately, this is the direction that the trades are headed with the flood of illegals across the boarder. When I was a young man guys in the trades took pride in their work, did a good job, had a good reputation, etc.

Now a days as a homeowner you have to be fully engaged and knowledgeable to what a contractor is doing on your job and how, I've told several of them to stop *** they were doing as it was not right can called their boss to come take a look. I won't hire someone to work on my home that I can't develop a personal relationship with.
                              The trades can be given some of the blame, sure some don't have the talent but I would guess that situation is the minority of the problem. A lot of them are just as lazy as you allow them to be. Reality though is that it falls on the shoulders of the Builder. These shoddy builders ALLOW this to happen. They don't punch out all the subs work, just keep issuing checks, and let it all happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X