Grandsons first deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandsons first deer

Yesterday Keili, Tyler (son) and I drove from Bellville to Eastland to pick up Tylers son (Kale) from school (lives with his mom) and then down to Pandale to the lease. 575 miles. Ok I drove while they slept, but I’m not complaining! I’ve been looking forward to this since July, when Kale told me he wanted to shoot “his” rifle.

Backstory on “His” rifle. I bought a Ruger compact .223 sometime around 2004. Tyler and Harley both shot their first deer with it. I traded to a TBH at some point for a .270. Got a call from Ross Brunner (TBH’er) a couple of years ago telling me he had traded for the our old .223. I told him if he ever wanted to let it go please give me first chance. Ross stayed true to his word and I ended up with it again. Now when my kids were shooting it, we never did get great grouping with it using factory ammo. It has a pencil thin and short barrel. I’ve since learned to reload and went to work. With the lack of bullets available, I borrowed some 50 gr Barnes TTSX and tested 7 different loads. The hottest load produced a .532 group. I had just enough to load up some to hunt with so that was going to have to do for now.

Anyway we didn’t make it in time to sit last night to bow hunt. So Kale was pretty excited to get going this morning. We had deer before daylight and Tyler was telling me the 4 point with no brow times was at there under the feeder. After what seemed to 1 hour of in and out of the pen. Finally a broadside shot and Kale did his part with a perfect shot. We watched him go down not 30 yds away. Extra note. This wasn’t the forkhorn I had planned on Kale taken. This one was even older.

Couldn’t be more proud!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats to the whole crew! Great memories!

Comment

That's a cool story about the rifle and a great buck. Congrats to all

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

That's great congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to all!

Comment

Congrats to the young man.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats

Comment

That’s awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Good stuff…..

Big congrats to the young hunter.

Comment

Great memories, congrats.

Comment

Uhmm, next time you need to leave an hour earlier. It woulda been nice to meet up and give your lovely and talented wife a big hug. [emoji16][emoji3059]

Congratulations pawPaw, and Tyler. And Kale. That’s what it’s all about.

Comment

Congratulations to Kale and crew

Comment

Congrats all around! So important getting the youth out there. Hunters are a dying breed.
                              Heres to new blood!

Comment

Working...
                              X