3rf Generation Hunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rf Generation Hunt...

Like most of you, I grew up in a hunting family and have been ‘in da woods” since I was old enough to walk. The twins were in the duck/deer blind with me early in life and this year…we’re extending the tradition. I’ve spent most of this season being “Papi” and guide for my 10-yr old grandson Darrin. I started him out shooting one of the lil Handi Rifles in .223 cal and spent some time at the range with him. In early October, we were up to the ranch to try and get him his first harvest. He and I were in the blind when some whitetail does and a small buck walked in. I explained that the season wasn’t open for them so they couldn’t be shot. Shortly afterwards, a nice axis doe came in and just as I was readying him for a shot…one of his uncles shot a pig on the other side of the property so everything scattered and only the WT came back. Crickets!

Fast forward to post Thanksgiving when we could head back up to the ranch for another hunt. We were in the blind for an evening sit when suddenly I caught movement coming through the brush. I whispered that there were 4 hogs coming in so he needed to get ready. As they fed nervously, out of the brush steps a brute of a boar. He ran everything else off and just started gorging himself on corn. Now…I’m in a dilemma. Should I let a first time kid hunter take a 105yd shot at an animal this big…with a .223 (55gr s.p.) bullet? He was soooo calm and cool and just waiting on the ok from Papi. Before I could get the words “Take Him” out…I heard the roar of his rifle and saw the big boar stumble as he tried to run off. It appeared to be a nice hit but honestly…I was very skeptical we would ever see this hog again. I waited til dark and went down to assess the situation. There was sparce blood on a few cactus plants so I decided to back out until the morning to track him. It was going to be in the 40’s that nite and I didn’t feel comfortable tracking a wounded hog in the dark, lol.

We got up the next morning and headed back to the area. One of the twins quickly found a huge puddle of blood (that I had missed ☹) that led us on a very easy, quick 40 yd track to find the huge boar piled up under a tree. I was in awe. I’ve owned this place for 26 years and a this 10-yr old kid has just shot the biggest boar taken off the property with a .223. It was the same elated/proud/nervous feeling that I had when the boys and my daughter (his mom) took their first animals. I said a Thank You prayer not for the kill…but for the opportunity and experience to have this time outdoors with my family. Now? He’s got me re-arranging the game room to make room for his trophy boar shoulder mount when its finished next year.

Good Hunting to you all!

K-Man
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kamoman; 12-07-2022, 02:32 PM.

Good stuff!!!!! Big congrats to y’all. I sure enjoy seeing threads like this!

Comment

Awesome all around! Congrats!

Comment

Love it! Congrats on a great Moment.

Comment

That is what life is about. Great hunt

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Good stuff. Congrats to Darrin and proud grandpa.

Comment

That is some awesome stuff right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

way to go little man!

Comment

Congrats to Lil Man. Great job Papi.

Comment

Wow...great hog and great job by the little man. Congrats to the family for keeping the hunting heritage alive!

Comment

What a great post! Congrats!!!

Comment

Awesome, congrats to the next generation, and you!

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Great stuff right here, just look at that boy smile!

Comment

Working...
                              X