No announcement yet.

Men over 50, do yall use a multi-vitamin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=miket;16532570]I take one sporadically. If I miss them for a while I do seem to drag a little.

I have been taking vitamins for 35 years probably. Pretty darn consistently for the most part and this has been my observation. I don't notice any huge difference by missing a day or two, but after a few I don't seem to have quite as much energy.

Have also seemed to have fewer illnesses that the majority of people. I have had a couple pretty bad habits for many years, but I feel the vitamins help counteract those. It may all be in my head, but hey, that helps too!

Comment

I am no doctor, but heard that a multivitamin has a bunch of things in it, but not at quantities that helps the human body. Is there any truth to that?

Comment

I'm about to turn 42. I take these daily

Magnesium
        Omega 3 Fish Oil
        AM Multivitamin
        PM Multivitamin
        Iron
        Quercetin
        Vitamin D
        Zinc

Comment

I do the Centrum Silver and some chewable vitamin C. Neither with any real consistency, so I can never tell if they have an effect. I do have a bowl of cereal every night with a ton of frozen wild blueberries, pecans and craisins, and I feel like it has more impact than the vitamins. But, could all be related to the consistency issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            Tell us more about your observations as they relate to the glucosamine.
            If I take glucosamine for a few days, I can tell that my joints aren't as stiff and they don't have pain in them when I run/walk for exercise. For me, it's mostly knees. But you do have to take them religiously to make an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHamJello View Post
              I do the Centrum Silver and some chewable vitamin C. Neither with any real consistency, so I can never tell if they have an effect. I do have a bowl of cereal every night with a ton of frozen wild blueberries, pecans and craisins, and I feel like it has more impact than the vitamins. But, could all be related to the consistency issues.
              A bowl of cereal with fruit is probably loading your body with a ton of sugar right before you go to bed. I'd bet that offsets any benefits you are receiving from the vitamin content

Comment

I am 58 and I take vitamins daily. I have also been a runner my whole life as well. I've tried going without vitamins and for the most part my diet is pretty good and I cannot tell much of a difference. However, the doc can in my blood tests.

I really like the GNC Mega Men's, but when I cannot find a deal, I buy vitamins from Walmart. The standard one's as everyone has mentioned above. I take B-12 or a B-Complex, C, D, and Zinc since covid. I also take Glucosamine congorton as well since I tend to run about 30 miles a week FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHamJello View Post

At the very least, I bet it keeps you regular.

Comment

I've been taking a vitamin/supplement regimen for 20+ years. When this whole Kung-Flu crap started, I added to it. I do NOT take a multi-vitamin as my Dr. told me I'd get better and more consistent results with specific things that I need a boost in. I absolutely do better when I stay on this regimen than when I skip it for a couple weeks... It's a long-term thing for me. And since I added my preventative Kung-Flu supplements, I haven't even had the sniffles. I'll be 70 in about a month and still feel good and have plenty energy...
                    Some key ones are B, C, D, E, Niacin, CoQ10, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Potassium, Melatonin, Quercertin... n probably a few more that I'm missin... AM and PM...
                    Works for me...

Comment

My blood tests always show same for me, too: low D3 and low B (all of them). I also have that MTHFR variant so I’m told .
                      For a second I was thinking I had the same problem. Im always wanting to call someone a mthfr

no vitamins for that

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        For a second I was thinking I had the same problem. Im always wanting to call someone a mthfr

no vitamins for that

((chuckling))

Comment

Tell us more about your observations as they relate to the glucosamine.
                          I will say this regarding Glucosamine W/Chondroitin. Been taking it every day for about 5 years and off and on for over 30 since I have bad knees. I ran out 2 weeks ago and haven`t bought any since I haven`t told my wife to order them. My shoulders have kept me awake the past 2 nights. Crawled under both my vehicles yesterday and changed the oil and it was worse. I`m almost 64 and have very few joint pains and I absolutely think it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            57 and nothing here but maybe I should. I do not know. Do they really work. Is there a way to gauge this?
                            Do vitamins work? In my opinion, certainly.

Vitamins and minerals helps you ward off or fight infections, maintains or restores joints, helps your blood clot correctly, etc.

Look at covid and how many people in this forum (in my opinion correctly) said that taking enough zinc, D3, C and other vitamins were one of the most effective ways to fight off the virus.

In a perfect scenario we would get enough sun and the vitamins and minerals in our diet to not need supplements.

I would venture to guess that a substantial percentage of people don’t get that.

Even for the people who take multiple vitamins, I am sure that much of it is not needed. When you take a multivitamin with 28 different vitamins and minerals, did you really need all of them? Almost certainly not. Maybe you get enough D3 and perhaps your body has plenty of iron and magnesium. If those are in the multivitamins then you didn’t need them.

It is just much easier to take a single relatively cheap pill and maybe help relieve those deficiencies and there outcomes such as sickness, pain and so on.

Will you be able to tell? I doubt it. Maybe if you get a bad cold, it would have been less severe if you weren’t deficient in some vitamins. If you are tired at the end of the day, was it because your worked hard or was at least part of it due low iron?

I don’t think there is any doubt that our bodies perform better with needed vitamins. For people that usually have a great diet and get the needed exercise, multivitamins are probably a waste. For the rest of us……

IMO………

Comment

At the very least, I bet it keeps you regular.

Comment

My daily dosage includes

Juice Plus (3 per day)
                                Vitamin D
                                Vitamin C
                                Tumeric
                                Fish Oil
                                Statin (family history of heart attacks)
                                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                                X