No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man somehow I missed this thread. We’ve killed 2 management bucks this year. It was super dry and I feel like the deer stole money straight out of my wallet with all the feed they were eating. Last few weeks have been good for the deer and the two we killed were in excellent condition. I’m going up there tomorrow and will be there for the next week. Should be interesting.

Comment

Here are the two we’ve knocked down so far. Hopefully I have a few more to show after this next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been slow on cameras around LLano... drought and ponds drying up I believe are the culprits, had some rain the last couple of weeks so hoping to be able to see some movement this weekend.

Comment

Seems like we hit a wall for our bucks in Llano. All the regulars haven’t been on camera in the daylight if at all. Y’all noticing the same? Probably rutting, but they typically still come in to the feeders in years past. Just curious what y’all are seeing

Comment

Huge acorn crop which I didn't expect, rut, and new forb growth with the recent rains have them scattered and not wanting corn much. Can't blame them....they haven't had any green browse in months.

Comment

Been really slow at our place. I'm hoping it is due to the acorn crop. Seeing fewer deer and smaller bucks.

Comment

Gillespie County. I haven't been out much this year compared to most years but went for and extended hunt just before and during rifle opener. Pretty slow due to acorns, but there were not a ton of acorns left. A few smaller bucks and one really nice 9pt that I am hoping to put my daughter on was about all we saw. One weird thing was we stay 2-1 bucks to doe and that was the consensus across the lease. We have been working hard on limiting buck harvest, and increasing doe harvest. Hopefully what we saw was progress, we shall see.

Comment

Had some luck from my tree stand this morning. Cypress Mill, Blanco Co.

Comment

very nice

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                      Thank you for starting the thread for this year. Llano here, I went out last weekend and it has greened back up but the acorns were dropping and the deer had a rough summer. Season is getting close! I think this will be my target buck, a 7.5 year old buck named acorn fest I have watched for the past 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What kind of feeder is that by the deer?

Comment

Scheicher county

Whitetail have drastically reduced in antler size. Drought was real over here.

Top picture is from last year. Bottom picture is from this year - buck on the left of the feeder

Comment

Working...
                        X