Home Addition Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Addition Cost

We are looking to add 300-500sq ft onto our house giving our 2 sons there own rooms and leaving the room they share now to be my office/storage.
    The addition will be on pier and beam and will be very basic.

I'm looking for a rough estimate on the cost if I just hire a remodel company to do this turn key vs me doing what I can and subbing out the few things I can't?
    I know there are a ton of variables but just trying to get an idea.

Also would it be necessary to got to an architect and have blue prints drawn or can a framer, electrician and HVAC do this with out a print.

$125k now a days would not be out of the question for a small project, because it takes all the same subs but all subs would cost more due to it being a smaller project

Comment

Just had a master bedroom and bath quoted. 246k! I said no thank you….

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
        Wow.

Comment

DIY is your best option! Adding on that amount you could do for $50/SqFt even at today’s material prices! If you hire it out it will run over $100/SqFt and be more around the $150/SqFt range.

You can refer back to my house build thread to see how I did the pier/beam build. I’ll be adding on to my personal home this year 15x30 area. Just finished a new bathroom recently that is 10x20 and it averaged $45/SqFt
          Last edited by Antlers86; 01-12-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Hope you don’t live in a city with deed restrictions/city ordinances. Most of those require it to be engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
              DIY is your best option! Adding on that amount you could do for $50/SqFt even at today’s material prices! If you hire it out it will run over $100/SqFt and be more around the $150/SqFt range.

You can refer back to my house build thread to see how I did the pier/beam build. I’ll be adding on to my personal home this year 15x30 area. Just finished a new bathroom recently that is 10x20 and it averaged $45/SqFt
              This is the type of answer I was needing! Thank you!
              Would having prints drawn up be necessary?

Comment

Are you in the city limits? If so you'll have to pull a permit and your trades ( elec, plbg, and ac) will have to also. Call or check the city website for requirements. If not you can probably do most of it yourself.

I've been a commercial contractor for 40+ years and I'm in the process of adding 450 sq. ft. on to our place in the country. I'm enclosing a covered carport so I poured a slab, framed in the sides and interior walls to make 2 rooms and 2 closets, no plumbing. I have bought all of the materials and done all of the work myself except I paid for concrete finishers. I used Hardi plank on the outside, installed 4 windows, 2 exterior doors and installed a 2 ton heat pump for the whole place. I will be installing LVP when I am painted out. Doing everything myself I will be around $35 a sq ft. Materials are out of sight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                  Are you in the city limits? If so you'll have to pull a permit and your trades ( elec, plbg, and ac) will have to also. Call or check the city website for requirements. If not you can probably do most of it yourself.

I've been a commercial contractor for 40+ years and I'm in the process of adding 450 sq. ft. on to our place in the country. I'm enclosing a covered carport so I poured a slab, framed in the sides and interior walls to make 2 rooms and 2 closets, no plumbing. I have bought all of the materials and done all of the work myself except I paid for concrete finishers. I used Hardi plank on the outside, installed 4 windows, 2 exterior doors and installed a 2 ton heat pump for the whole place. I will be installing LVP when I am painted out. Doing everything myself I will be around $35 a sq ft. Materials are out of sight right now.
                  We are outside the city limits so no permits for us! Thank you for the input! $35 per aq ft ain't bad!
                  How much time are you working on this per week and what will be the total time line it takes start to finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                    We are outside the city limits so no permits for us! Thank you for the input! $35 per aq ft ain't bad!
                    How much time are you working on this per week and what will be the total time line it takes start to finish?
                    Do it yourself.

Comment

Working 3-4 days a week. Started the pad for the concrete on 11/12 and should be finished by the end of January with everything. If I was in my 30's or 40's it would be done but at 65 I can still do it good just can't make any money at it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                        This is the type of answer I was needing! Thank you!
                        Would having prints drawn up be necessary?
                        Me personally I build as I go. You can draw up a plan yourself and it’s good to go off of to help calculate material needed as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                          Me personally I build as I go. You can draw up a plan yourself and it’s good to go off of to help calculate material needed as you go.
                          Thanks again for your input!
                          Going to check out your house build thread now!

Comment

Three years ago I converted our garage to two additional bedrooms and a laundry room. (500 sqft) Also leveled the slab and added a covered front porch (new slab) and a metal roof (porch only). This cost around $45k.

No permits/No architects.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                              Insane. We built our 3000 sq ft house ourselves (5000 under roof between back porch and carports) for 264k 8 years ago. Did everything but concrete, plumbing, brickwork, and only helped with electrical. 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, office, mudroom, laundry room, etc. I cringe to think about what that would cost to do now.

Comment

Working...
                              X