Deer Lease with Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Lease with Axis?

Have been on my deer Lease for twenty years and we are starting to get a heard of Axis staying around. We first heard about the Darn Axis about 5-6 years ago from our land owner. He stated those Darn Axis are eating my wheat, driving my dogs crazy, and I almost hit one in my truck the other day. We need to shoot those Darn things, in fact I carry a gun in my truck and if I see one I’m shooting it. Couple of my hunters had a similar conversation with the landowner. Then I saw three Axis the next year and told the landowner about the sighting and he asked why I did not shoot them and acted putout that I didn’t. So we started shooting those Darn Axis when we saw them. Not many opportunities to shoot the axis but we did when we saw them, just helping the landowner out. I should have asked, and the landowner should have stated if he wanted extra money for the axis. Well now the landowner wants a Fair Price for the Axis. My question is what is a Fair price on our Low Fence Lease that we feed year around. Some of my hunters don’t want to feed year around if we have to pay extra for the Axis because this past offseason they stayed around eating our feed. Anyone have a similar set up where you pay the landowner extra for axis?
    Last edited by thebowhunters; 01-06-2022, 08:23 AM.

If you have enough axis to go around I would pay up to an additional $1000 to have axis they sure are tasty!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of landowners being approached by outfitters to lease the axis and other exotic hunting rights. I’d recommend coming up with something everyone feels fair and paying up, if not your access could become limited and an outfitter is hunting your place while you’re not there.

Comment

Come up with a fair price but then just don't tell him when you see them. Only shoot the ones you want to shoot for that price.
        From my experience, they are far more skittish than whitetail. You shoot a few here and there, they will not come to your feeders regularly.

Comment

Whatever it is, pay it or someone lease will.

Comment

Yep, low fence axis are in high demand. Especially if they are staying put on your place. They are known to wander. You can always take buddies to shoot a couple in return for some help on the feed bill. You’d be surprised at how many people will stand in line for that.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Yep, low fence axis are in high demand. Especially if they are staying put on your place. They are known to wander. You can always take buddies to shoot a couple in return for some help on the feed bill. You’d be surprised at how many people will stand in line for that.

I’m in the front of that line dibs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had this dilemma with aoudad, for years it was shoot everyone of them they are ruining the fence and creep feeders, then it was take a few , down to those are valuable to my bottom line and berry is running guided hunts , glad I don’t have to mess with it anymore
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-06-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

You are going to have to pay or you will end up losing the lease. Have no idea what a fair price would be.

Comment

See if hell take a lump some to be able to shoot a buck and a couple of does (1000-1500$ flat rate extra a year which would be a bargain on yalls end) or a additional "trophy fee" if a axis is shot at maybe 500-750$.

Obviously those prices are in the hunters favor with what ranches sell axis hunts at. I am just under the assumption yall have a good relationship and the owner has realized he can make some additional $$$ on them and just wants a little bump.

That being said, if he wants market value for each axis then get ready to be paying a extra 2500-3000$.

Good luck

Comment

Agreed with pretty much everyone above. Those "Darn Axis" aren't that much of a pest if he is wanting to be paid for them and doesn't just want them gone. Kinda like hogs they are a huge problem but even if the most responsible, honest, and upstanding citizen type individuals they know offer to help a landowner with the problem some of them still want to be paid. I most definitely can't blame someone for trying to make a little extra money and those animals are most definitely a resource for most people. Then on the other side of that it must not be that much of a problem for them either if they want money more than the problem fixed.
                      These guys are right if you don't come up with something you will probably be replaced very easily. Lots of coffee shop talk amongst people, well hell I get this for my axis or from leasees and joe blow gets this and so and so gets this etc... So the chances of being replaced by another set of hunters, or an outfitter encroaching in on your lease is VERY likely and easyily done.
                      My experience with axis is similar to what has been said above they wander and are skittish. So if a group of yall go out for a weekend or 2 for just axis and you shoot a few off feeders they will move on and then come back later probably but then you do it again. With axis being able to be hunted year round and if its a year round lease that could be a bonus.

As far as feeding year round maybe just back it off to in season and the more deficient times of the year. Like feed through season then after season until things green up in the spring and stop, then again at the end of the summer if conditions are hot and really dry. Keep water and mineral out year round if possible also.

I would come up with a few different alternatives. Like axis doe free and a buck $250 or $500 (you can be selective on which one you shoot) even though outfitters get a lot more per buck than that. That or everyone pays a little more for the annual lease fee ie $250 or $500 at X amount of memberships is $X amount. Present those alternatives to them in order from your most to least favorite and see if he goes for one.
                      Last edited by DuramaxDude; 01-06-2022, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I've seen several ranchers asking for guided hunt prices to shoot axis on the deer lease. Maybe some people are paying it. But it makes no sense to pay the feed bill, pay the deer lease, buy all the blinds and feeders, do all the work associated with all of that, and then pay full retail guided hunt prices to shoot a bonus exotic. It does make sense to pay more than just a whitetail lease price to shoot exotics. But it should be something reasonable in that type of situation. If the landowner wants to receive guided hunt prices, then he should furnish the blinds, feeders, feed, lodging, and come out and guide the hunt and gut/skin the animal.

Comment

Kinda boils it down to who is the bigger "problem" hogs/axis or "responsible, honest, upstanding citizens" huh?

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                          Agreed with pretty much everyone above. Those "Darn Axis" aren't that much of a pest if he is wanting to be paid for them and doesn't just want them gone. Kinda like hogs they are a huge problem but even if the most responsible, honest, and upstanding citizen type individuals they know offer to help a landowner with the problem some of them still want to be paid. I most definitely can't blame someone for trying to make a little extra money and those animals are most definitely a resource for most people. Then on the other side of that it must not be that much of a problem for them either if they want money more than the problem fixed.
                          These guys are right if you don't come up with something you will probably be replaced very easily. Lots of coffee shop talk amongst people, well hell I get this for my axis or from leasees and joe blow gets this and so and so gets this etc... So the chances of being replaced by another set of hunters, or an outfitter encroaching in on your lease is VERY likely and easyily done.
                          My experience with axis is similar to what has been said above they wander and are skittish. So if a group of yall go out for a weekend or 2 for just axis and you shoot a few off feeders they will move on and then come back later probably but then you do it again. With axis being able to be hunted year round and if its a year round lease that could be a bonus.

As far as feeding year round maybe just back it off to in season and the more deficient times of the year. Like feed through season then after season until things green up in the spring and stop, then again at the end of the summer if conditions are hot and really dry. Keep water and mineral out year round if possible also.

I would come up with a few different alternatives. Like axis doe free and a buck $250 or $500 (you can be selective on which one you shoot) even though outfitters get a lot more per buck than that. That or everyone pays a little more for the annual lease fee ie $250 or $500 at X amount of memberships is $X amount. Present those alternatives to them in order from your most to least favorite and see if he goes for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                            Kinda boils it down to who is the bigger "problem" hogs/axis or "responsible, honest, upstanding citizens" huh?
                            X2! DD has always seemed kinda shady to me

Comment

What does your lease agreement state? Is it for exclusive hunting rights? If so, the landowner shouldn't be able to lease to others for axis/exotics (or any other type of hunting) while the contract is valid unless otherwise stipulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X