CA Ridgeline Barrel Break-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Ridgeline Barrel Break-In

I recently purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmoor and am preparing to do the barrel break in. The manufacturer recommends firing 50 rounds and cleaning at certain intervals throughout the process. The issue I am having is that in todays world, I hate to "waste" 50 of my hard to find ELD-X rounds. That would take a good amount out of my stockpile. According the the CA manual it recommends using "high quality, original factory manufactured ammunition." I have a couple of boxes of Remmington Core Lokt 6.5 Creedmoor that I would like to use for the break-in. Does anyone think that using these would be a issue? I know that they are not the highest quality of ammo, but they are factory loads and I would just be using them to "clean" the barrel. I will be cleaning the barrel with a solvent soaked patch ~60x per 6 rounds during the break in, so my thoughts is that this ammo would work fine. Does anyone have opinions on this or any experience doing a barrel break-in for this rifle?

Screw a break in. Go shoot it.

Comment

Comment

If you are dead set on it. that ammo is fine. I see manufacturers say anywhere from 10-20 rounds for a break in usually. 50 is alot if you ask me.

You can Google a ton of info on break in methods. But that ammo should be fine.

Comment

I have always used the round count that it takes to get a new gun dialed in as my break in. Usually less than twelve shots. Been doing it that way for fifty years never had a problem. No way am I going to waste 50 rounds for a break in.

Comment

I bought a 6.5CM Ridgeline in early 2021, have stayed with factory ammo (Hornady 140HP, some 143 ELDx, and S&B 140gr SP) for the first 35 rounds, and still have 15 to go. Am following their recommended "break in" and cleaning procedure in order to preserve their warranty as it appears I will have to use it.

It appears that regular factory ammo fulfills their warranty per my discussions with their service techs, they seem mostly concerned with "hot" handloads due to their tighter "match" chambers. Mine is so tight it shows pressure on the cases and heavy bolt lift when shooting suppressed. Haven't seen much in the way of accuracy out of it, either (the Hornady 140HP did produce a sub-MOA 3 shot group at 100yds, so, technically within their accuracy guarantee).

To directly answer the OP's question, yes, I would think the factory-loaded Remington ammo would be appropriate for CA's recommended break-in.

Stu

Comment

My buddy has a MPR in 6.5prc.. they recommend the 50 shot break in because it takes that long to get the accuracy that they "guarantee".

We shot a box of Hornady eldx through his...and for the money on the gun, it wasnt sub MOA out of the box. I would expect it to be better as we put more down the pipe. Plenty accurate for a hunting rifle but expected a little more.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not follow the break in procedure during normal use. Say 12 to sight in then go hunt, cleaning as recommended. The break in might take a year but I cannot imagine the barrel will care.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  If there's anyone on this forum that knows about accurate/precision shooting, it' trophy8!

Comment

I like the way you think.

Comment

20 years ago I would have disagreed, now I agree shooting to find the cartridge your gun likes to eat then cleaning, then 2-3 fouling shots, and bueno

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                        If you are dead set on it. that ammo is fine. I see manufacturers say anywhere from 10-20 rounds for a break in usually. 50 is alot if you ask me.

You can Google a ton of info on break in methods. But that ammo should be fine.
                        Thanks for all of the great info & input guys. I agree that 50 rounds sounds like a crazy amount and I hate to waste 50 rounds on a break in. I am just going by what the Christensen Arms manual directly calls for. I don't plan on hunting with the core lokts so I am thinking I will use them for the first part of the break-in (have around 35 rounds of them). Once I shoot all of the core lokts I may do the remainder of the break-in while hunting/sighting with the ammo the gun best likes, as some of you recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahan View Post
                          If there's anyone on this forum that knows about accurate/precision shooting, it' trophy8!
                          Lol. There’s several folks that are way better than I am here. But I appreciate it.

OP, one thing I DO believe in is letting the barrel get 75-100 rounds on it before I do final load work. Wait till they speed up.

Good luck on whichever path you take!

Comment

I bought a CA 300PRC and had the same concerns. Not many options, or availability of ammo. I had minimal copper in the barrel during break in, but still shot 40 rounds. The gun wasn't accurate until after "break in" when I stopped swabbing the barrel. It quickly tightened up once I allowed the barrel to foul some.
                            I agree with other comments, screw the break in. Go shoot your new gun!

Comment

Originally posted by kingfisher_jr View Post
                              I recently purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmoor and am preparing to do the barrel break in. The manufacturer recommends firing 50 rounds and cleaning at certain intervals throughout the process. The issue I am having is that in todays world, I hate to "waste" 50 of my hard to find ELD-X rounds. That would take a good amount out of my stockpile. According the the CA manual it recommends using "high quality, original factory manufactured ammunition." I have a couple of boxes of Remmington Core Lokt 6.5 Creedmoor that I would like to use for the break-in. Does anyone think that using these would be a issue? I know that they are not the highest quality of ammo, but they are factory loads and I would just be using them to "clean" the barrel. I will be cleaning the barrel with a solvent soaked patch ~60x per 6 rounds during the break in, so my thoughts is that this ammo would work fine. Does anyone have opinions on this or any experience doing a barrel break-in for this rifle?
                              Use the Hornady ammo, unless you want to follow their directions to a tee. In that case you need to find some quality ammo. Hornady does not make quality ammo, they make cheap copies of other company's quality ammo.

Truly if you are going to spend that kind of money on a rifle, you really should learn, what is good ammo and what is not and what makes for good ammo and what makes cheap ammo. You are basically buying a Ferrari and putting Valero 87 octane fuel in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X