Lake Whitney Duck Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
    I will save you some time. Nothing productive will happen here.
    But I like checking the view count too. And I might miss seeing it change!

All these south winds this week will have the stripers and sandies feed-n good!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-11-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

The last "great year " we had on that lake was in 2009. ACE drew the lake down all summer to help with flood control when PK floods, just like it used to do every year. It was 9' low come first of Sept. And they let it fill up. Being down all summer allowed vegetation to grow out on the beaches. And then conditions were right for it to fill up to normal which is what happened by early Nov. That was a great year. And don't happen very often.

But with ACE constantly drawing the lake down 2-3 feet, then bring it back up again multiple times per year, just like this year and the last few years, the birds just don't have anything to feed on. Cause the water kills the new vegetation sprouting each time it rises through the year. And there's nothing for the birds to feed on. They just keep going south when they do come by. Or find smaller flooded ponds to hang out on.

The birds like water where they can swim up to vegetation and feed.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-11-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I think that's our problem all across public in ntx. We don't have a lot of corn, winter wheat oats or natural seeds in enough mass to hold birds very long. We used to have peanuts but the bottom fell out when they did away with the allocation scheme. I wish we could come up with some market oriented plan that would put more food on flooded areas. Many of these lakes could add some flood control on the north ends without effecting lake levels. Just need the organization and $

Comment

I saw a pic this morning where there were tons of geese in Iowa. I bet that's where all the ducks are too. Might have to take me a trip up there.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-11-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X