• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s Federal you better ask

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      So they allowed an electric mopeds?

Soooo I can take a golf cart and Fred Flintstone it every so often and I’m good to go?

Well, a golf cart wouldn’t fit through any of the gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just sending a shout-out to all those who provided updates, before, during, and after the hunt. Thank you for taking us along. You're what the old school TBH used to be. And "somewhat" still is.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post

Why be sarcastic? I asked a legitimate question figuring someone else may have seen or encountered the "stalker" as that type of hunting at Hagerman is highly discouraged, but some idiots try and to it anyway without regards to other's trying hunting an area.
          anyone remember Rickey?
          Last edited by bossbowman; 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
            Got a coworker that was hunting this weekend. He told me he had the same guy yesterday evening and this morning "spot and stalk" hunting. Spooked off some doe that were heading in on him. Who was doing the spot and stalk in Big Mineral?
            I sat 12hrs in a stand over 2miles back on Friday to have a stalker ruin it by walking through 75 yards away at 5:15PM. It is what it is... public land and public hunting. I've hunted public land over 20 years and have had my hunting plans ruined more than once. Was I happy about my Friday Hagerman hunt experience? Would you have been? I believe he knows I saw him. I yelled "hey man" and waved in disbelief while giving up on hunting prime time for the day. I'm pretty certain he was chasing the herd of pigs that came through 10 minutes prior.

Comment

What an incredible weekend it was! Yes the deer activity was slow and weather disappointing but still a terrific experience. I got my golden ticket doe on Friday morning so was riding that high through a no-sightings Saturday. On Sunday my son and I packed up our ground blinds at noon, took a scenic drive through the refuge with the windows down to cool off after the workout of hauling our gear out (no ebikes here), then returned to hunt the afternoon from folding chairs tucked into the brush. My son hunted over a heavy trail in an area we knew held does. At 4:57p I get a text from him that he shot a doe and saw it go down! I could not have been more thrilled. She actually came in behind him and had spooked but then came back. He had to make a bold move to get in position to shoot behind him, so he got off his stool and spun around to quickly get on target and take a shot. Perfect double lung and earned his golden ticket on Sunday evening, so now we get to hunt together again next year! A dad couldn't ask for a better gift.

On top of everything else, we made a great new friend in Pistol! Just a terrific person and we so enjoyed talking with her in the mornings and evenings and updating each other throughout the day. First rate all the way. She certainly lives up to her profile name and was a great person to share the woods with!

Comment

My wife and I were drawn for this hunt although we had never applied for this hunt before. We finally made it to the area to scout on Thanksgiving weekend. We made it a family trip and brought the kids and the camper. The Saturday after thanksgiving we were scouting in the Sandy unit when I told my son to walk quietly since a deer could be bedded close as it was midday. Not two steps later, I look to my left and see a very nice high 9 point about 40 yards out bedded in a hardwoods flat. My wife tried to get pictures but he left before she could get one of him because my daughter and her were about 50 yards behind my son and I. We left Sandy and headed over to Godwin to check it out about an hour before dark. Once I got to the gate I was told by my family that I could go in alone because they were tired of walking. I walked in and started walking down the pipeline heading south as quiet as I could checking out the scrapes and rubs along the edges. When I was almost to my destination, I turned to my right and see a very nice, thick and wide dark horned 10 point not 20 yards away feeding so I squared down and got my phone out for a picture. About the time I opened the camera app, I feel the wind hit the back of my neck and up came the bucks head looking my way. Needless to say he wasn’t there much longer. I turned around and started heading the other way and came across more scrapes but these were fresh. I marked them on OnX and kept going. It’s getting dark fast and I didn’t bring my headlamp or flashlight. I make a plan where I will cut through the woods to get to the truck faster. When I’m almost to where I am to go in the woods, I busted a ton of turkeys roosted and they left in a hurry causing all kinds of commotion. That got the old ticker going a second until I realized what all the noise was. Almost back at the truck and jump another small buck. Sunday we checked out more of the Sandy and came across more hog sign than anything so we got out of that area and looked other places. At about 4, we decide to check out the field at the south Big Mineral. We get to the field and bike to the pecan tree in the back and don’t see a lot of deer sign in that corner but elect to go back to the north east corner and sit on the edge until dark as a family to see if anything showed up. The first to enter field was a very nice main frame 10 with a split on his left side making him an 11. He was mid field on the west side. Soon after, a small buck enters by the pecan tree in the back south east corner. The bigger buck starts heading his way to check him out but soon turns back our way. A doe and yearling had entered the field 50 yards beside us and spooked a little. When the bigger buck seen them he started making his way towards us. I did my best to get pictures of him through the binoculars. My wife decided she wanted to try to get there first to set up there and I would try Godwin where I seen the big buck.

Wednesday rolls around and we finally get to camp at 1:15 am (Thursday morning). We Get a short nap then head to check in. We get all checked in and head to the parking area to wait where we meet some new folks and talk. 9am hits and it’s off to the races. We get my wife set up where she wanted to be then go to my area. I get set up and finally get checked out at 2 pm. We had to run back to camp to change real quick so we could haul butt back to Huntsville because our daughter had her first Honor Choir Concert. We get there at 6:20 and the concert started at 6:30 so all is good. Dinner with the family and a quick stop at Academy then we are on our way back. Back in the camper at 1 am and another short nap later. Checked in at 5:20 and head out. Friday morning, my wife has a couple does headed her way across the field but spook from some feathers from a dead turkey. Besides hogs, coyotes and turkeys, that’s all she had that day. I had turkeys first thing in the morning and didn’t see a deer until around 330. I had a little 8 point come in but he wasn't legal. A little later 2 coyotes come strolling through. I didn’t see anything else but when I climbed down after dark I had deer blow at me. Saturday it was super foggy and my wife couldn’t see 20 yards for a long time. She had turkeys come later but no deer were seen. I had a deer blow at me down wind but I couldn't see it. I had cedars behind me and it fed there for a while but right before my opening the wind swirled again. I Walked a little that afternoon and jumped 3 groups of hogs in the tall grass right before the creek that separates Godwin from Sandy. I get back in the stand at 2 and nothing the rest of the day except coyotes. Sunday morning 5 minutes after day break, I had a hunter walk up to my stand and when I flashed him my light to let him know I was there, he loudly said dang too far. Sorry. Around 9 I had 4 toms come by and got down at 10 to pack up. I Walked to where I heard a deer jump up while I was walking the day before to try to call but jumped two does out of there about 70 yards before I got to where I was going to stop and call. I guess they were watching from the edge because the wind was in my face and I was walking supper slow and quiet. Packed up camp and headed over to My wife and take her lunch and plan to finish the hunt across from her on the ground. We are on both sides of the field. 5:43 a doe comes out at the other side of the field but not enough time to get there with only 5 minutes of legal time left. We take her stuff down load up and head home. The Haderman hunt kicked our butts. We had high hopes with the two segments before ours and with what we had seen only one week prior. New friends were made and we got to talk to a lot of nice people. The time away with the wife was nice and we can’t wait to do it again. I don’t know if you’re on here or not but to the nice Asian man that stayed in the parking area with my wife until I got there, Thank you. Your kindness did not go unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post
                  My wife and I were drawn for this hunt although we had never applied for this hunt before. We finally made it to the area to scout on Thanksgiving weekend. We made it a family trip and brought the kids and the camper. The Saturday after thanksgiving we were scouting in the Sandy unit when I told my son to walk quietly since a deer could be bedded close as it was midday. Not two steps later, I look to my left and see a very nice high 9 point about 40 yards out bedded in a hardwoods flat. My wife tried to get pictures but he left before she could get one of him because my daughter and her were about 50 yards behind my son and I. We left Sandy and headed over to Godwin to check it out about an hour before dark. Once I got to the gate I was told by my family that I could go in alone because they were tired of walking. I walked in and started walking down the pipeline heading south as quiet as I could checking out the scrapes and rubs along the edges. When I was almost to my destination, I turned to my right and see a very nice, thick and wide dark horned 10 point not 20 yards away feeding so I squared down and got my phone out for a picture. About the time I opened the camera app, I feel the wind hit the back of my neck and up came the bucks head looking my way. Needless to say he wasn’t there much longer. I turned around and started heading the other way and came across more scrapes but these were fresh. I marked them on OnX and kept going. It’s getting dark fast and I didn’t bring my headlamp or flashlight. I make a plan where I will cut through the woods to get to the truck faster. When I’m almost to where I am to go in the woods, I busted a ton of turkeys roosted and they left in a hurry causing all kinds of commotion. That got the old ticker going a second until I realized what all the noise was. Almost back at the truck and jump another small buck. Sunday we checked out more of the Sandy and came across more hog sign than anything so we got out of that area and looked other places. At about 4, we decide to check out the field at the south Big Mineral. We get to the field and bike to the pecan tree in the back and don’t see a lot of deer sign in that corner but elect to go back to the north east corner and sit on the edge until dark as a family to see if anything showed up. The first to enter field was a very nice main frame 10 with a split on his left side making him an 11. He was mid field on the west side. Soon after, a small buck enters by the pecan tree in the back south east corner. The bigger buck starts heading his way to check him out but soon turns back our way. A doe and yearling had entered the field 50 yards beside us and spooked a little. When the bigger buck seen them he started making his way towards us. I did my best to get pictures of him through the binoculars. My wife decided she wanted to try to get there first to set up there and I would try Godwin where I seen the big buck.

Wednesday rolls around and we finally get to camp at 1:15 am (Thursday morning). We Get a short nap then head to check in. We get all checked in and head to the parking area to wait where we meet some new folks and talk. 9am hits and it’s off to the races. We get my wife set up where she wanted to be then go to my area. I get set up and finally get checked out at 2 pm. We had to run back to camp to change real quick so we could haul butt back to Huntsville because our daughter had her first Honor Choir Concert. We get there at 6:20 and the concert started at 6:30 so all is good. Dinner with the family and a quick stop at Academy then we are on our way back. Back in the camper at 1 am and another short nap later. Checked in at 5:20 and head out. Friday morning, my wife has a couple does headed her way across the field but spook from some feathers from a dead turkey. Besides hogs, coyotes and turkeys, that’s all she had that day. I had turkeys first thing in the morning and didn’t see a deer until around 330. I had a little 8 point come in but he wasn't legal. A little later 2 coyotes come strolling through. I didn’t see anything else but when I climbed down after dark I had deer blow at me. Saturday it was super foggy and my wife couldn’t see 20 yards for a long time. She had turkeys come later but no deer were seen. I had a deer blow at me down wind but I couldn't see it. I had cedars behind me and it fed there for a while but right before my opening the wind swirled again. I Walked a little that afternoon and jumped 3 groups of hogs in the tall grass right before the creek that separates Godwin from Sandy. I get back in the stand at 2 and nothing the rest of the day except coyotes. Sunday morning 5 minutes after day break, I had a hunter walk up to my stand and when I flashed him my light to let him know I was there, he loudly said dang too far. Sorry. Around 9 I had 4 toms come by and got down at 10 to pack up. I Walked to where I heard a deer jump up while I was walking the day before to try to call but jumped two does out of there about 70 yards before I got to where I was going to stop and call. I guess they were watching from the edge because the wind was in my face and I was walking supper slow and quiet. Packed up camp and headed over to My wife and take her lunch and plan to finish the hunt across from her on the ground. We are on both sides of the field. 5:43 a doe comes out at the other side of the field but not enough time to get there with only 5 minutes of legal time left. We take her stuff down load up and head home. The Haderman hunt kicked our butts. We had high hopes with the two segments before ours and with what we had seen only one week prior. New friends were made and we got to talk to a lot of nice people. The time away with the wife was nice and we can’t wait to do it again. I don’t know if you’re on here or not but to the nice Asian man that stayed in the parking area with my wife until I got there, Thank you. Your kindness did not go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet that nice man was Chino! He stayed at Grayson hogs place with us. Good guy for sure.

We had a similar experience on out scouting trip on Thanksgiving weekend. Deer everywhere. Then get our butts kicked.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

... I don’t know if you’re on here or not but to the nice Asian man that stayed in the parking area with my wife until I got there, Thank you. Your kindness did not go unnoticed.

That may have been "Chino" on here. Super nice feller with a sincere heart. Always has a smile! He and his wife both are great folks.

Comment

I am humbled !!

It’s grateful to meet you all.

Comment

Nice Hagerman stories, I met most of you Sunday morning. It's special to me, 3 days, no feeding, it's all what you put into it before hand.

Comment

You in a big blue Ford dually?
                            Think dad and I saw you on the way out of Paradise Sunday

Same story for us, spent Black Friday traipsing around Hagerman and thought we had a very good spot picked out, come hunt time there was not a deer to be found
                            Buccaneer, congrats to you and your son for nailing down golden tickets for next year's hunt

Comment

Originally posted by chino View Post
                              I am humbled !!

It’s grateful to meet you all.
                              It’s refreshing to know there are still people out there that will look out for others without expecting anything. It was nice to meet and talk to new people with similar interests.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                You in a big blue Ford dually?
                                Think dad and I saw you on the way out of Paradise Sunday

Same story for us, spent Black Friday traipsing around Hagerman and thought we had a very good spot picked out, come hunt time there was not a deer to be found
                                Buccaneer, congrats to you and your son for nailing down golden tickets for next year's hunt
                                Yes sir that was me.

Comment

Working...
                                X