• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Some Cured Pork Today

Canadian Bacon by ED, on Flickr

Buckboard Bacon by ED, on Flickr

Homemade Canadian Bacon
    Lean pork loin rubbed down with sugar cure. It will make Homemade Canadian Bacon for around 2.50 per pound. I use Morton Tender Quick home meat cure. It is available in most grocery stores and online. HEB in Lampasas has it in stock.
    The way I do it:
    Measure
    1 Tablespoon Tender Quick for each pound of meat.
    1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar for each pound of meat
    I add garlic powder, Allspice and cloves to taste (Not much Allspice or cloves as it goes a long ways. You can use maple syrup or liquid smoke if you like those flavors. Or not season at all if you want it plain.
    Rub down meat with mixture until covered and all mixture is rubbed in to the meat. Place in a zip lock bag in a pan or bowl in the refrigerator. Turn the bags once a day for 7-10 days till it reaches the firmness you want. I leave big pieces at least 7 days. You can do smaller pieces for less time. Pork chops cured for 24 hours and smoked are juicy and have a wonderful taste.
    This next step is very important and if left out your bacon or cured meat will be so salty you cannot eat it. Rinse the meat until all the cure is removed. Place the meat in a container of cold water in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove and rinse one more time. At this time the meat is ready to smoke or cook. I rub course ground black pepper on my bacon and smoke in a wood smoker to an internal temperature of 150 degrees. You can also do this on a rack in a pan in the oven it just will not have the real smoke flavor. Let the meat cool and it is ready to eat or fry up however you like. It makes wonderful Canadian bacon at a lot less than the grocery store bacon cost and you will have made it yourself.
    I will post the finished product in the future. One piece will be sliced as Canadian Bacon the other I will continue drying, after smoking, to make a dried cured pork loin charcuterie that will have the texture of jerky or a dried sausage. The butterflied pork butt will be smoked for Buckboard Bacon.

Very nice
    In for the pictures. I have a pork belly in the fridge right now for a more trad. bacon but i have wanted to do a Canadian bacon as well

Comment

Cured peppered and smoking today.
      Bacon by ED, on Flickr

Comment

That looks great! I plan on doing some stuff next week!

Comment

Following. Looks great

Comment

Smallest flat of butterflied buckboard bacon taken off at 155 degrees and sliced by hand, flavor is amazing.
            BuckBoard by ED, on Flickr

Comment

Dang that looks amazing!!

Comment

That looks awesome. I made Canadian bacon and buckboard bacon after getting my pellet smoker last year. The Canadian bacon was pretty good but I wasn`t all that impressed with the Buckboard bacon and have never made either again. I have cured and smoked numerous pork bellies and probably #1 on my list of things to smoke in my pellet smoker. I wish I liked the Buckboard bacon better because it`s easy to get butt`s for a buck a lb. somewhere almost every week or two.

Comment

I loved the taste of this buckboard bacon and will look forward to see how it fries up. I am having a samich out of it for lunch. I will pull the Canadian Bacon when it reaches 155-160 and post a picture.

Comment

Dang!!! I just did a pork butt for some buckboard bacon.

The recipe I got calls for .25% of curing salt/lb. and 2.5 % total salt with Kosher making up difference.
                    Refrigerator time was 2 days per inch of thickness plus 2. I sliced mine in half lengthwise to make it resemble regular bacon, so it chilled for 6 days. Smoked for 4 hours at ~160. Internal temp 145°.

A tablespoon is about 15 times what this recipe calls for.

Mine turned out fine.

Comment

Curing salt and Morton Tender Quick are not the same. Tender Quick is salt with cure added in it. No additional salt in the recipe. The amounts will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                        Curing salt and Morton Tender Quick are not the same. Tender Quick is salt with cure added in it. No additional salt in the recipe. The amounts will be different.
                        ok, that explains it.

Comment

Here is the Canadian Bacon
                          CanadianBaconbest by ED, on Flickr

Comment

Dude I like the way you roll. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here is the other part of the Buckboard Bacon, if I keep doing this I need to find a deal on an electric slicer.
                              BuckBoardBest by ED, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X