Mathew 22: 1-14 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathew 22: 1-14 question

I've often wondered what this parable means. I understand the first part and who the invited guests represent and who the servants represent but towards the end of the parable he says one of the street people he invited was not wearing wedding clothes and the king asked him why not? The man stood speechless and the king had him bound and thrown out to the street where there was a gnashing of teeth.

Who does this man represent and why did the king throw him out for not dressing up?

Gods people are all invited to heaven for the marriage feast of the lamb, but whether they prepared or not will be determined. When one goes to the wedding in the wrong clothes, he did not take the invitation seriously, luke warm. Therefore cast into hell with the gnashing of teeth.
    This is not definitive, just my thoughts. Would rather hear a theologians interpretation

Comment

I think this is a passage that can be interpreted different ways. I'll tell you what I think it means. I believe the man represents people who may think they are believers and may find themselves in a similar situation as the ones in Matthew 7: 21-23. They stood before the Father of the groom (as did the man in Matt 22). Just like the ones in chapter 7, the man also thought he should stay there. The clothes in chapter 22 represent the salvation that is ours only through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. Those wearing the proper wedding garments (salvation) were allowed to stay and enjoy the wedding feast whereas the one with no garment was thrown out into outer darkness. i hope that makes sense.
      Last edited by El Viejo; 01-11-2022, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
        Gods people are all invited to heaven for the marriage feast of the lamb, but whether they prepared or not will be determined. When one goes to the wedding in the wrong clothes, he did not take the invitation seriously, luke warm. Therefore cast into hell with the gnashing of teeth.
        This is not definitive, just my thoughts. Would rather hear a theologians interpretation
        Agree

Comment

The Jews killed Jesus then the gentiles were called but not everyone called puts their faith in Jesus so they are cast out.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
            I think this is a passage that can be interpreted different ways. I'll tell you what I think it means. I believe the man represents people who may think they are believers and may find themselves in a similar situation as the ones in Matthew 7: 21-23. They stood before the Father of the groom (as did the man in Matt 22). Just like the ones in chapter 7, the man also thought he should stay there. The clothes in chapter 22 represent the salvation that is ours only through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. Those wearing the proper wedding garments (salvation) were allowed to stay and enjoy the wedding feast whereas the one with no garment was thrown out into outer darkness. i hope that makes sense.
            My thoughts on the parable as well

Comment

The man “was told” there was a wedding. He had heard
              The man “wasn’t wearing a wedding garment”..: he knew but wasn’t ready for the event

Many have heard and many know WHO Jesus Christ truly is, but not everyone who knows who he is, is ready for his return

That’s my take on the scripture

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                The first guests who rejected the invitation are a picture of the Jewish people who had rejected their Messiah though many "invitations" were sent through prophets, messengers, and Christ Himself. The invitation was then extended to the gentiles also, hence the invitation went to those who were "good and bad". Yes, the proper clothing would be righteousness as we must be "clothed with righteousness", the righteousness of Jesus, to be truly saved. This man was not truly saved as we see from the outcome. Below is a pretty good article that digs into the text quite a bit more for those that are interested....

Introduction Since this parable follows the triumphant entry and precedes the teachings of Jesus on the signs of the end times delivered on the Mount of Olives (called the Olivet Discourse, Matthew 24, 25) on the Wednesday of the Passion Week, the experts in the chronology of the Gospels put this time of controversy on Wednesday morning (along with all of Matthew 21:19b through 23:37-39; see the chronology chart at the end of this lesson).
                Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-11-2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for asking that question. I've often wondered what the meaning behind that one was myself. Seemed a little odd that this guy at least shows up to the wedding that others wouldn't come to but because he isn't dressed right, he's cast out to hell. Kinda harsh dress code if you ask me but that would be the literal interpretation. Reading some of the above interpretations helped me understand it better now. He invited everyone to the wedding (heaven) but you need to believe (be dressed for the occasion) and this guy didn't. Makes much more sense now. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
                    Thanks for asking that question. I've often wondered what the meaning behind that one was myself. Seemed a little odd that this guy at least shows up to the wedding that others wouldn't come to but because he isn't dressed right, he's cast out to hell. Kinda harsh dress code if you ask me but that would be the literal interpretation. Reading some of the above interpretations helped me understand it better now. He invited everyone to the wedding (heaven) but you need to believe (be dressed for the occasion) and this guy didn't. Makes much more sense now. lol.
                    I like your reference to the dress code. That’s a good analogy!

The secular world is full of “men without the wedding attire”. They will show up before God almighty (as all will) and think they are “good to go”. They said a prayer, or felt convinced when they were young and that was good enough!!! Music is full of those that I honestly think believe God is pleased with them and wants their happiness above all, and is ready to drink a beer with them.

As mentioned above Matthew 7, tells the sobering truth. “Knowing about Jesus” really gets nothing…

A “Known relationship”… changes everything!

I know who Micheal Jordan is, I also know a lot of stuff about him! He does not know me… we do not have a relationship

Comment

Thank you, I kinda thought that is what was happening but like Onski69 I was thinking, the poor man probably was wearing the only clothes he owned being these were gathered from the street.

I often think the Pharisees were idiots but I can imagine after being raised up for their whole lives and taught their blood made them special and righteous that it would be difficult to open their eyes. Although I think Nicodemus got it but like the man cast out from the wedding, he was not prepared.

Comment

great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                          The first guests who rejected the invitation are a picture of the Jewish people who had rejected their Messiah though many "invitations" were sent through prophets, messengers, and Christ Himself. The invitation was then extended to the gentiles also, hence the invitation went to those who were "good and bad". Yes, the proper clothing would be righteousness as we must be "clothed with righteousness", the righteousness of Jesus, to be truly saved. This man was not truly saved as we see from the outcome. Below is a pretty good article that digs into the text quite a bit more for those that are interested....

https://bible.org/seriespage/32-para...matthew-221-14
                          That’s my east Texas preacher!
                          Are we dressed ??? Do we stand out from the world?
                          Our actions and attitudes line up with a person Heaven bound?
                          Can the people of the World see a difference in your life and theirs?
                          Great Thread OP!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Thank you, I kinda thought that is what was happening but like Onski69 I was thinking, the poor man probably was wearing the only clothes he owned being these were gathered from the street.

I often think the Pharisees were idiots but I can imagine after being raised up for their whole lives and taught their blood made them special and righteous that it would be difficult to open their eyes. Although I think Nicodemus got it but like the man cast out from the wedding, he was not prepared.
                            Pharisees were idiots,spoken in strait Texan verbiage.I like how you mentioned how their thinking was conditioned by their upbringing.The same applies to all of us today.I was raised a certain way but my father told me to examine and question everything,do Bible and historical research.He told me to not follow the church,pastors,friends,family or even tradition if it did not adhere to the truth of the scriptures.I like all the responses to the question presented it’s made my day.Thanks to the OP for a deep spiritual question to get us reflecting.

Comment

For some reason this makes me think of what a preacher said the other day... There will more people in Heaven than some of us think, and fewer than many of us would like to admit.

Comment

Working...
                              X