Camper trailer electrical issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper trailer electrical issue

I was at the camp today. While i was getting ready to go i was locking a trailer to the tongue of my camper. My wrist brushed the camper tongue. It shocked me, it wasn't a static electricity shock, but a real 110 volt shock. So i carefully unplugged the camper, naturally no shock so i finished locking my atv trailer. So what in the heck is going on with my electricity. I have never had an issue before, i regularly chain trailer's up to the tongue when i leave. The ground was damp, but not saturated. The camper power cord is laying on the ground. But i didn't see anything unusual with the power cord, no bare spots where a rat may have chewed. I know it is a ground issue of some sort, but i don't know what needs to be done to correct this issue. The camper has been at the camp since October with no issues. So what do you guys with electrical expertise think needs to be done ?

Bad Cord?

Comment

The electricity to all the camp spots were wired years ago. None of them are very professionally done. This is mine, i added the 30 amp box for my camper.
      Attached Files

Comment

Could be any number of things. You really need a tester to find the problem. My first guess would be a loose neutral or a bad ground.

Comment

So the loose neutral, or bad ground are we talking about the 30 amp box. Or inside the camper where the cord goes into camper breaker box.

Comment

Either place could cause it.

Comment

Maybe Carey will respond in a bit. He works on them for a living.

Comment

The problem may not be in the trailer. It could be the way the box you have mounted on the tree is wired also. Again neutral and/or ground issue.

Comment

I would start with driving a ground rod and tie the ground to it. I’m assuming there isn’t one.

Comment

Please turn the power OFF before doing anything, unless you are confident in what you are doing.

Comment

The powerline comes off the cr 787. It goes to the meter pole then to breaker boxes in a circle around the camp. I'm going to have to look but i i know there should be a ground rod, at the meter pole. There are several breaker boxes around the camp. I'm sure that none of the individul breaker boxes have ground rods. My camping spot is the last on the circuit. So maybe i should have my own ground rod, at my breaker box.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                        The powerline comes off the cr 787. It goes to the meter pole then to breaker boxes in a circle around the camp. I'm going to have to look but i i know there should be a ground rod, at the meter pole. There are several breaker boxes around the camp. I'm sure that none of the individul breaker boxes have ground rods. My camping spot is the last on the circuit. So maybe i should have my own ground rod, at my breaker box.
                        That would be the shortest path to ground if you did. I’ve seen many a deer camp “electrical systems” and most are fire/shock hazards. I was a licensed journeyman years ago.

Comment

Could be several thing. I have seen a bad or burnt power cord head cause this. Also, do you have a battery connected. If not and and your battery cable is touching the frame a little, you could be getting a 12v shock

Comment

There isn't a battery connected. I will definitely need to see if those terminals are touching the frame. They are close to the area i was working.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post

Don’t do that. You should ground your trailer frame but do not install an additional ground at your connector box or trailer panel. You’ll create a difference of potential on the electrical system and that’s not good.

There should be a bond between neutral and ground at the first means of disconnect. Does the panel that feeds the campers have a main breaker in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X