Little League Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little League Help

Well I saw the other post about batting help so figured I’d ask for help as well. My 5 year old started coach pitch this year. He LOVES baseball and wants to play at home literally every day. The first 4 or 5 games he did ok, not up to his full potential, but better than the average kid on his team still. Game before last he got up and got a hit on his first at bat. When it was his time to bat second he clammed up and wouldn’t bat, saying he needed to go potty which was just an excuse. I finally did get him to bat one last time when he asked me to go catch the ball for him which I did. He got another hit on that at bat.

Last night was our first game since the last. He wouldn’t bat at all with the same potty excuse. We tried everything and he just wouldn’t do it. He had no problem playing in the field. I’m sure it’s him just being nervous, but it’s so strange since he loves it so much. I really think if I were the one pitching he would get up and bat. I’m not sure of the protocol there or if that is even the right thing to do for him.

Any suggestions? Next game is tomorrow!

I’m sure he’s just nervous. My kids have done a few weird things when they first moved up to the next level and they were just nervous. I’ve coached little league for a while now and it’s not uncommon. He’ll get past it the more he becomes used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
      I’m sure he’s just nervous. My kids have done a few weird things when they first moved up to the next level and they were just nervous. I’ve coached little league for a while now and it’s not uncommon. He’ll get past it the more he becomes used to it.
      So should I still try to get him to bat if he doesn’t want to? Bribe him with something? Should I ask to pitch to him?

Comment

Most leagues I am aware of don’t start coach pitch that early. Regardless, just relax and enjoy the time with him. If he doesn’t want to bat don’t force/coerce/bribe him to do it. 5 year olds are prone to irrational behavior and baseball has very specific structure. You are better off bending baseball to suit the 5 year old than trying to bend the 5 year old to suit baseball. Let it be fun for him, whatever that looks like.

Comment

Get a tee and let him get lots of swings on it. I would continue to encourage him to bat, even if you need to stand a little closer to him while he does it while he regains his confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's the shock of being hit. Been there done that with my kids. Take him home, throw bp to him, and hit him everyone once in a while. Once he realizes it doesn't hurt that bad, he will be over it.

It affected my 9 year old in kid pitch, after getting hit in the back, and head during bp. He was at the back of the box. Once I hit him a few times, and he realized it doesn't really hurt, he was good.

Comment

Let him know that his team is counting on him and boost his confidence as often as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                Let him know that his team is counting on him and boost his confidence as often as possible.

We tried that, his teammates were even encouraging him. We didn't take batting practice before the game yesterday so maybe I'll try that.

Comment

My son enjoyed going through the "Bulletproof Hitter" program, it's a series of short, well done videos of teaching kids tools of how to handle the pressures (failures) of playing a sport where your best players still strike out more than they hit. Even if he's too young to fully understand it, you can watch it with him and reinforce some of the ideas. Its got a ton of really useful stuff IMO.

Teaching players how to kill their fears, control their emotions and crush it on gameday.

Comment

Update: We got up to bat. Swung at the first pitch and fouled it off. After that he just took all the pitches and wouldn't swing again???? He did get hit once and took it well, but still didn't swing again. Whatever, we didn't put any pressure on him.

We finally have a practice so I'll make sure he gets to practice hitting with the actual coach that pitches. We will see what happens next game.

Comment

Been there done that. During home practice we switched to tennis balls. Occasionally I would “accidentally” hit him. It slowly allowed him to be ok with getting hit. Then switched to real baseball. Occasionally getting “accidentally” getting hit. Then we incorporated a funny way of protecting ourselves if we thought ball was going to hit us. If ball was going to hit him, our coach taught the boys to turn head and look at the catchers nuts. It made all the boys laugh. Then after getting hit, he would ask the boys where his nuts big or small. The laughter and funny part of getting hit made it bearable and not a big deal.

Really seemed to help them and my son remembers that to this day at 23

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                        Been there done that. During home practice we switched to tennis balls. Occasionally I would “accidentally” hit him. It slowly allowed him to be ok with getting hit. Then switched to real baseball. Occasionally getting “accidentally” getting hit. Then we incorporated a funny way of protecting ourselves if we thought ball was going to hit us. If ball was going to hit him, our coach taught the boys to turn head and look at the catchers nuts. It made all the boys laugh. Then after getting hit, he would ask the boys where his nuts big or small. The laughter and funny part of getting hit made it bearable and not a big deal.

Really seemed to help them and my son remembers that to this day at 23
                        Haha, that's awesome.

I don't think my kid is scared of getting hit. I think he is just unhappy with the pitcher! At home he hammers the ball with a hard ball from the same distance as they do in games. Me vs the coach is the only difference. Heck, he's been hit hard by ball twice this year in the field and has no problem going out there and fielding.

Comment

Working...
                        X