Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do dogs mourn?

We had to put down our 13 year old Yellow Lab Friday. It was a very sad day at our house. I think my 8 year old Black Lab finally figured it out Sunday. He was moping around, sad faced all day.

I'm not one to project human emotions on to animals, but do you think dogs or other intellegent (this excludes cats ) domesticated animals can mourn the loss of their buddies or family members?

From what I've observed over the years of having LOTS of pets...I'm of the opinion that they definitely mourn...I don't know what they're thought process is, but I've seen one of our cats sulk for months & howl when her buddy died...same too with dogs...my white shepard gets depressed every time I leave for town on business...he stops eating all together for days...

Edit: Sorry about the loss...I've had to put down a few we've had that long and it's definitely tough.

Comment

Sure they do. sorry to hear about your dog....

Comment

I think they do. We lost two of our three dogs last year. You could definately tell there was something going on in the little one's mind. He still seems kinda lonely sometimes.

Comment

Definately! I have seen it happen in the past!

Comment

I think they feel "something". Like you said, it is visible. They say elephants mourn.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
              We had to put down our 13 year old Yellow Lab Friday. It was a very sad day at our house. I think my 8 year old Black Lab finally figured it out Sunday. He was moping around, sad faced all day.

I'm not one to project human emotions on to animals, but do you think dogs or other intellegent (this excludes cats ) domesticated animals can mourn the loss of their buddies or family members?
              I am sorry for your family's loss. Always tough to do. I also absolutely think dogs mourn the loss of their buddies. I had twin chows as a teenager. The litter was only these to dogs. They were inseperable for 10 years. We had to put down the female and her brother just alid around for about 2 months after that and just kind of gave up his will to survive. He would not go do anything they did together. Chase cows, swim nothing. It was pretty sad.

Comment

yep, they have feelings just like people .

Comment

I think so.

Comment

One of ours leaves every weekend. Her buddy mopes around for a day.

Comment

Sure they do. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Get a new dog quick. I think there are a couple of Dogo boys left in VA...

Comment

yes they do, I had a friend with 2 Greyhounds, they had been together for 8 years when one had to be put down the other would not get out of his buddies bed. He laid there for weeks and he wouldnt eat. She finally adopted another greyhound and after about 2 weeks he started acting normal.

Comment

I do. I had two Irish setters years ago.. Someone poisoned the older one and the younger one laid in the front yard and wouldn't eat until he died. It was sad stuff watching that dog mourn. My boss just had the same thing happen with his German shorthair pointers too

Comment

Sorry for your loss Alan. Go to the Lab rescue place and get you another buddy for your pup. When you're ready, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X