DEF shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    For those saying just delete the truck, that is getting harder and harder, and more expensive to do. The EPA is really cracking down on ANY shop that is selling kits or programs, even online only retailers. And unless you know someone when it comes time to get your truck inspected, a delete won’t pass visual inspection.
    It shouldn’t pass “visual inspection”, but I don’t know of anyone who has had trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Cheaper and can top off the tank so have to do it less. I always do it while traveling long distances. It can be a ***** to find a dispenser that works some of the places I've stopped are garbage. Some also have some stopper equipped where a magnet is involved or something, but I've never stopped and not found a pump that works after trying a few.
      Wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Some of the bigger gas statoins have it at the pump.
        Buc-ee's has it at the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
          Buc-ee's has it at the pump.
          Not all of them

Comment

Amazon has DEF.

Comment

Dang, I just got an alert that I have 900 miles left on my tank. Guess I’ll stop by Buccees tomorrow on my way into work. Anyone know if you could fill an old 5 gallon gas can with it, just in case?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                Amazon has DEF.
                Yeah … but it’s at least 2x the price of Walmart

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  My DEF using POS is in the shop so...... lol. Good luck i havent looked for it in the last few weeks around the LGV Tyler area but i had heard it would be the next problem.
                  Atwoods In Kilgore is a good spot to find it. Not sure about the Tyler Location.

Comment

One convenient store had blue def for $22.99 a jug, ouch! I went across to buccees and got the off brand for $14. They had plenty def on the shelves.

Comment

Is there any added benefit of running the Blue/ Blue Platinum vs an “off brand” product. Is it all the same or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For those saying that they are going to stock up on it, DEF does have a short shelf life. The Urea starts separating out within 6 months at room temperature and faster if stored above 80 degrees. If you do stock up on it, then try to keep it in a climate controlled environment.

Comment

Originally posted by DoveBlaster View Post
                          Is there any added benefit of running the Blue/ Blue Platinum vs an “off brand” product. Is it all the same or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yes, the main difference is the platinum doesn't crystalize as fast which can help the pump last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                            First hand experience?

I’m also on a Dodge/Ram Cummins message forum. Several tuners have had to stop doing delete tunes and there are some shops that have gotten hefty fines as well.

For those deniers, go to SEMA’s website and look at the RPM act. The EPA is cracking down on things, and unless the RPM act or something similar gets passed then the entire automotive performance aftermarket will be shut down. This is not fear mongering. The EPA does not want anyone racing a vehicle that once came with a VIN number, even if it is NEVER driven on the street. They also don’t want anyone putting factory made engines into off road vehicles either.

Diesel vehicle inspections are only getting more strict. The days of “safety only” inspections for diesel powered vehicles are coming to an end. I’m a former Texas licensed inspector. I sure hope that those that have deleted hung on to their old parts. They are shooting up in value as EPA pressure is coming down on states.

Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT for all of this. I am just trying to spread this information. Please, check it out for yourselves………

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

Comment

91, while I understand your sentiment, and the RPM act is BS, the experiences I have had, and numerous others both on this forum and others, the inspection issue isn't that bad.

First, Texas is a rare state that has state inspections. That's a freaking shakedown for every car owner. The inspections are worthless. There are jalopy's on the road with paper tags all day long, and always will be. Want to stop rogue inspectors from dinging you for a delete? Get rid of the worthless Texas vehicle inspections. That's #1. I can't believe a state as "free" as Texas still allows this government mandated shakedown of vehicle owners.

Shops still do deletes. They just stopped advertising, and require cash up front. But who cares. You can buy the who kit online, send it to your home. A few hours, and your truck is deleted.

Prices of used DPF's are not going up LOL. My friend has been trying to sell his since 2014. Can't get $50 for it, and it's posted everywhere.

The RPM act is ridiculous, and I hope SEMA has a strong enough lobby to shoot it down. My advice to all, make yourself alternative plans "just in case" the EPA cracks down, but I wouldn't start buying old DPF's online any time soon because of an inspection. I personally would just carry $20 and ask to be present when the mechanic inspects.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                                Yeah … but it’s at least 2x the price of Walmart
                                Well, you can always run wiper fluid with ammonia

Comment

Working...
                                X