No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After an action packed first two days, I got skunked yesterday. I’m now riding solo as my buddy decided he’s had enough lol. Really digging my set here. Big drainage where there is a gap in water. Going to sit it out all day. Time to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      Well I got tired of sitting on a crap pile and decided to try to make my own luck.

Spooked a group of deer and had them run down the clear cut and into some brush. Of course of the 3, I wind up shooting the spike.

Apparently I’m that guy that goes 5 miles back to shoot spikes. At least I’m not goin home empty handed! He’ll eat good.

Congrats! Meat for the freezer.

Comment

Anything moving today?

Comment

Paydirt!!

Comment

I really enjoyed this hunt was everything and expected it to be like and then some. It pushed me physically and mentally. On the scouting day I located a heard of nilgai cows which I was excited about cause my goal was a nilgai ive taken lots of big whitetails over the years. I set up on that location all day on friday and never saw one critter. Set back up on that location first thing the next morning with the same results. When the wind switched about noon that day I knew i needed to make a move. I got on my huntwise app and looked for areas near by with good wind. I located a spot where the wind would be good for me and it was about a mile away. Made the move and will I was looking for a spot to set up with shooting lanes and good cover I heard something coming in hot looked up and it was a nilgai cow running full speed at me. She stopped about 10 feet away from me and turned around I my bow and arrows were still in the sling I was just so not prepared for that. Rest of the day I sat there mad at myself for not being ready and not seeing anything. Sunday morning I went to that spot again morning started out very slow of just watching all the ducks. About 9 am I sat down on my butt to relax and lean up against the tree I was standing next too. After about 30 minutes of relaxing there I hear some grass crunching to my right and I see a nilgai cow grazing by at 10 yards how I didnt hear until she was right next to me I have no clue. I couldn't move well she started walking off away from me I was like you have to be kidding me. Then I noticed at least 5 more right behind her. Before the nest cow stepped in that little window I drew some how while sitting on the ground with legs out in front of me. She stepped into the window and put the first pin right on her shoulder and let it fly. Heard the arrow make impact and watched her run off with the rest of the heard. After a 30 minute wait that felt like forever I went to the spot of where she was standing. Couldnt find blood or my arrow and I knew it blew through her since I never saw it while she was running off. I followed her path for over a 100 yards with no blood at this point i was questioning my shot and getting worried. I just stayed on the path they seemed to take and started zig zagging looking for blood off the path will first zig off the path I walked right up on her. I about jumped and touched the sky I was so pumped. Reason for no blood she had lung hanging out both holes from the arrow and plugged them up never seen that before. I can't wait to do this hunt again ended up heading home last night since I got what I came for lots of great meat for the rest of the year. I will say packing one out was an adventure that I really kind of liked was like a huge self accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              Paydirt!!

Let’s see it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RDR View Post
                I really enjoyed this hunt was everything and expected it to be like and then some. It pushed me physically and mentally. On the scouting day I located a heard of nilgai cows which I was excited about cause my goal was a nilgai ive taken lots of big whitetails over the years. I set up on that location all day on friday and never saw one critter. Set back up on that location first thing the next morning with the same results. When the wind switched about noon that day I knew i needed to make a move. I got on my huntwise app and looked for areas near by with good wind. I located a spot where the wind would be good for me and it was about a mile away. Made the move and will I was looking for a spot to set up with shooting lanes and good cover I heard something coming in hot looked up and it was a nilgai cow running full speed at me. She stopped about 10 feet away from me and turned around I my bow and arrows were still in the sling I was just so not prepared for that. Rest of the day I sat there mad at myself for not being ready and not seeing anything. Sunday morning I went to that spot again morning started out very slow of just watching all the ducks. About 9 am I sat down on my butt to relax and lean up against the tree I was standing next too. After about 30 minutes of relaxing there I hear some grass crunching to my right and I see a nilgai cow grazing by at 10 yards how I didnt hear until she was right next to me I have no clue. I couldn't move well she started walking off away from me I was like you have to be kidding me. Then I noticed at least 5 more right behind her. Before the nest cow stepped in that little window I drew some how while sitting on the ground with legs out in front of me. She stepped into the window and put the first pin right on her shoulder and let it fly. Heard the arrow make impact and watched her run off with the rest of the heard. After a 30 minute wait that felt like forever I went to the spot of where she was standing. Couldnt find blood or my arrow and I knew it blew through her since I never saw it while she was running off. I followed her path for over a 100 yards with no blood at this point i was questioning my shot and getting worried. I just stayed on the path they seemed to take and started zig zagging looking for blood off the path will first zig off the path I walked right up on her. I about jumped and touched the sky I was so pumped. Reason for no blood she had lung hanging out both holes from the arrow and plugged them up never seen that before. I can't wait to do this hunt again ended up heading home last night since I got what I came for lots of great meat for the rest of the year. I will say packing one out was an adventure that I really kind of liked was like a huge self accomplishment.

Awesome! You’re in a small percentage of hunters that have had public success on Nilgai with a bow. Outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                  Awesome! You’re in a small percentage of hunters that have had public success on Nilgai with a bow. Outstanding!

Thank you that cow felt the same as a 170" buck on my wall maybe even more.

Comment

Originally posted by RDR View Post

Congrats! Great write up!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                      Paydirt!!

Pics or it didn’t happen [emoji38]

Comment

congrats! lets see it

Comment

Guess Colton is cutting up a critter as we are impatiently waiting for pics

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Congrats!

I bumped a cow just a bit ago.

As for the bow carrier on my bike, it’s a Rambo bike bow carrier.

I cut up a $4 foam cushion from the outdoor section at Walmart for padding. I also lost the original mounting hardware because I’ve had this carrier for 3 years and never got around to mounting it so it’s zip tied all over.

Orange buckle is an off brand titan strap. Honestly I could’ve made one out of plywood and a 2x4 but this still has adjustment by the bottom cam. If you do decide to run one of these on a bike, a bow cover is a MUST. I lost my sight cover and had to dig mud out of the pins last night with a toothbrush.

Camo pattern is just flat rustoleum [emoji13]. I spray painted it after having a deer flip out walking past it laying on the ground when I was hunting Whitney a few years back.

Every metal piece of gear I have that isn’t stainless or aluminum is rusted. Even my release started to squeak so I hit it with WD40.

Comment

Sorry for the wait. Went to work immediately on him. I’ve got a hell of pack out in front of me.

Comment

Colton is packing out a critter. A long trek awaits him.

Edit: I see he posted pix. Congrats on the buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X