Live from James Daughtrey WMA Jan 4-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
    Super foggy where I’m at this morning. It’s lifted a little but could only see 30-40 yards for a bit earlier this morning.
    Fog should burn off soon. Did you spill more corn at this spot? How long are you going to sit before you start scouting?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
      Fog should burn off soon. Did you spill more corn at this spot? How long are you going to sit before you start scouting?

Fog is burned off now. Had what I think was a doe walk across the draw earlier but couldn’t see it too well.

Didn’t bring any corn in this morning. Walked in a new way since it was calm and wasn’t 100% sure what it was going to be like. Probably going to sit here for 30-45 more minutes now that I can see and work my way up this draw to the north. I have a few spots marked to go check out that are fairly close and depending on what they look like may walk to the far end of the unit and check that out. Looks good on OnX but the grass here is tall and thick so not sure what visibility is going to be like.

I would like to have my afternoon spot picked by 1:00 so I can walk back to the truck and pack in a few lbs of corn for the evening sit.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck! Looks promising!

Comment

Scouting trip to the back of the unit (blue track). Pretty back there and the lake has good water but most places are super thick brush or tall/thick grass……and if i shot one I’d be almost a mile from the truck as the crow flies and I might never get it out of there. Taking a brief break in the shade and having a bottle of water before walking back to truck to get more water and pack some corn in for the evening hunt.

I did jump a hog in the back and had told myself I wasn’t shooting a pig on this hunt but being mid day and a place I prob wasn’t going to hunt if I could have gotten a shot off I would have.

As of now, I’m going to set up close to where I was yesterday evening but on the other side of it. What little wind there is should be right in my face.

Hopefully this evening has a little more action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                Congrats brokeno on the standby!
                Dang!! He get lucky every now and then! Congrats Dennis!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                    Scouting trip to the back of the unit (blue track). Pretty back there and the lake has good water but most places are super thick brush or tall/thick grass……and if i shot one I’d be almost a mile from the truck as the crow flies and I might never get it out of there. Taking a brief break in the shade and having a bottle of water before walking back to truck to get more water and pack some corn in for the evening hunt.

I did jump a hog in the back and had told myself I wasn’t shooting a pig on this hunt but being mid day and a place I prob wasn’t going to hunt if I could have gotten a shot off I would have.

As of now, I’m going to set up close to where I was yesterday evening but on the other side of it. What little wind there is should be right in my face.

Hopefully this evening has a little more action.

Any word on sightings from brokeno or any of the other hunters?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                      Any word on sightings from brokeno or any of the other hunters?

As of 10:15 this morning no one had shot any deer. Brokeno has seen deer every hunt but mainly does and nubbins. He moved spots for this evenings hunt.

I’m back in the same spot I jumped the good buck yesterday and hunted yesterday evening. Walked pretty much the entire unit today and didn’t bump any deer or see a ton of sign or trails that made me want to do anything different for tonight.

Comment

I did upgrade my corn hauler for this evenings hunt and it was way easier than dragging that sled through this grass. Packed in guessing 30 lbs.

Comment

9 point here now and he’s legal but not what I’m looking for on this hunt.

Comment

If you got meat in the freezer, wait for a big one. Good Luck!

Comment

Another buck came out while I was waiting on the 9 to leave after legal shooting light. He was in the brush but couldn’t tell much about him other than his body was quite a bit bigger than the 9.

I know where I’m sitting in the morning and will check my trail camera after the morning sit.

Comment

Good luck. Following.

Comment

Working...
                                X