Tanning hides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanning hides

I have a Nilgai cowhide I was wanting to get tanned I’m being quoted $600 is that right is there any cheaper route!

Try here.
    Tanning services for wholesale,deer hunters rancher and farmers.taxidermist

Comment

Moyle Mink will do them for $200 but has be fleshed, salted and dried to ship.

Comment

Fur Dressing Express in Houston charges $11.50 a SF.
        They do exceptional good work and usually well inside 6 month turnaround.

Comment

If you decide to use North Texas Tannery you must call them first and make sure they will do your hide. Don't just show up and drop it off as you will get a lot of attitude and aggravation. They aren't doing everything these days that they used to do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you thought about doing it yourself? The WEB is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
              If you decide to use North Texas Tannery you must call them first and make sure they will do your hide. Don't just show up and drop it off as you will get a lot of attitude and aggravation. They aren't doing everything these days that they used to do.

I have heard the same thing, and they have done several different types of critters for me

Red deer hind was most pricey and it was not that bad, seems like ~$200 ea

Comment

I dropped my bull elk off a few months back. Cost me 320. And I really have no idea what I'm going to do with it.:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
                  Have you thought about doing it yourself? The WEB is your friend.
                  I just did this hair on deer hide myself.

Fleshed it with my power washer. Salted it for a couple of days. Rinsed the salt and fleshed it more with the power wash. Pickled it with 5 gallons of water, 5 lbs of salt, and 15 ounces of pickling crystals (citric acid). Keep the PH at 2 or less for 3-4 days. Neutralize the the hide to PH of 7. Tanned with Curatan tanning solution. Break the hide by stretching. Apply Neatsfoot oil emulsion or softening oil. Keep stretching/breaking until it's as soft as you want it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Mike, did you use iodine free salt? What did you use for a neutralizer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                      Any salt will work. Table salt or feed salt on a large hide. Neutralize with baking soda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                        I use non iodized fine stock salt. This 50lb bag of stock salt came from Tractor Supply. I neutralize to 7 PH with baking soda. 1 oz. of baking soda per gallon of water ( 5 oz ) will get you close to 7 PH.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-29-2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X