timber prices for pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timber prices for pine

I've always heard of "board foot" prices but someone told me it was going for $40 a ton. Is that good? bad? average? We are about to have 10 acres cleared and trying to see if it's worth all the damage to the land to have some pines timbered and sold. Any input would be appreciated.

I got a neighbor in the business. I had him come take some pines off my place a few years ago just because I wanted them gone. He maybe got a dozen of them. I was very surprised when he gave me a check for $2,000. 10 acres worth of trees might be very lucrative for ya

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I got a neighbor in the business. I had him come take some pines off my place a few years ago just because I wanted them gone. He maybe got a dozen of them. I was very surprised when he gave me a check for $2,000. 10 acres worth of trees might be very lucrative for ya
      Texting you

Comment

In the recent past, folks around me couldn't get anyone to take 'em on small plots of land (under 50 acres)... Maybe they've decided they need 'em now.
        Good luck!

Comment

We got closer to 60 the last time we cut. That was 2010 maybe? But they cut for almost a week on 200 and that was hardwood also

I will say make **** sure you have some form of clean up in the contract. We got screwed on one. I can still find skidder ruts

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            I will say make **** sure you have some form of clean up in the contract. We got screwed on one. I can still find skidder ruts

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            Werd.

For the OP:

Now, it’s all about getting it off your land and to the saw mill.

Comment

Chew, unless you have a logging crew working near you, I would be surprised if you can get loggers to come out at any price. Revenue for pine timber (and timber in general) is going to vary widely - depending on tree sizes, volume/acres, distance from a mill, market conditions, land type, etc. It wouldn’t hurt to contact someone with the Texas Forest Service nonetheless.

Comment

buy an LT 25 mill and cut yourself some lumber!

Comment

A friend of mine was going to cut the trees and have them ready to load and still could not give them away. No one would even come take them for free. He had about 70 acres.

Good luck on selling any.

Comment

My father-n-law had about 40 acres of his place thinned and he regretted doing it. He said he didn't hardly get anything but a mess.

Comment

Only experience I have with selling pine is what I sold out of the yard. Some of the trees got beetles, ice storm made a mess, sap dripping on my stuff so I decided to get rid of any I could see from the house.

Guy came out and paid me about $18/ton AND cleaned the mess up. I got rid of about 100 within sight of my house, put a little money in my pocket and had some helacious bonfires
                      And the bonus was I found a guy that ground the stumps out for $10 ea (20+ years ago but still unbelievable deal)

Pineywoods has a good point as most I know that have had places cut end up with more mess than $$$.

Comment

Following this. I've heard stories about the mess and difficulty finding someone who actually wants them. I've wondered about the difference between commercial timber properties versus a single landowner.

Comment

In May of this year prices were very low and dropping. The mills were full and no one could even cut timber because they had nowhere to go with it. Haven't checked lately though. All this while lumber was at a high price.
                          There are a lot of variables, one of which is the size of your timber and how limby it is, and how difficult it will be to get it out.
                          I have a professional forester that monitors all that for me.

Comment

The preacher out the church I go to has several crews of loggers working for him. I asked him about it a few months ago and he won’t cut timber on people property. He said there is no money in it on small tracts for him or the landowner.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                              In May of this year prices were very low and dropping. The mills were full and no one could even cut timber because they had nowhere to go with it. Haven't checked lately though. All this while lumber was at a high price.
                              There are a lot of variables, one of which is the size of your timber and how limby it is, and how difficult it will be to get it out.
                              I have a professional forester that monitors all that for me.
                              Finger on the pulse it sounds like.

Comment

Working...
                              X