Short Barrel 7mm-08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Barrel 7mm-08

I'm in the planning stages of what may be my last rifle project (nothing ominous, just consolidating stuff). It will be a 7mm-08 hunting rifle using 140gr bullets (I have lots of components) for medium game out to 500-600 yards maximum. It will also be suppressed, which means a shorter barrel to keep overall length down. I saw several of the 18-20" barrel guns produced on the last run of TBH APR specials, and am wondering if the shorter barrels would handicap performance too much for my intended use. All thoughts, comments, and reflections are welcome!

Stu

Short Barrel 7mm-08

I’m getting around 2550-2600 slinging in a 18” APR with 139 Barnes lrx. Haven’t taken it out far yet but might give you some idea on velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an APR 7mm-08 shooting 140 bergers, 143. ELD-X's and 150 Grain Berger Classic Hunters. I've shot it a lot!!!! 20 inch barrel and you will lose some velocity but luckily you can load faster if you hand load but it will absolutely get the job done out to 600 yards with no problem. I'm running V N550 powder and Reloader 17 at about 2752 fps and it's a sledgehammer. Now, I'm running a "little" hotter load than factory but well within capabilities of the rifle. Of course I recommend you start at 10% less than max and carefully work your way up if handloading.

The ballistics are excellent out of that 20 inch barrel at 400-600. At 600, I still get 981 ft lbs of energy which is the edge of what it takes to kill a deer with, but as always, shot placement is key and the bergers open up like crazy at that speed and range.
      Last edited by Matt_C; 12-01-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

You wanting factory ammo? Or you open to reloading?

Might look at the 7mm SAW from West Texas ordinance does everything your looking to do perfectly in that style of rifle.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          You wanting factory ammo? Or you open to reloading?
          Definitely handloading, but one of my other considerations is the ability to use factory ammunition if necessary. I'll start with 140gr bullets but I'm also intrigued by the ability of the 7mm-08 to use the heavier 160gr class of projectiles.

Matt_C and bmac, I appreciate that kind of detail. My intended use is not necessarily "long range", but I do want the capability to take it out to the energy limitations of the cartridge/load (1000 ft/lbs) for an ethical kill on deer-sized game.

Stu

Comment

I'm getting 2646 out of my sons 7-08 with a 20 inch X-caliber Prefit. It was the accuracy load and on the bottom end of the charge. Took it out to 400 and it was 1/2 MOA. That's with 140 Berger's and IMR 4064 just cause I had 4lbs sitting around.
            Last edited by flyinstroke; 12-02-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Real world numbers from three APR short barreled 7-08's. Velocity measured with Lab-Radar. These are the loads settled on after development, not necessarily the fastest tested. They are top-end loads however, so it gives a good idea of what can be achieved velocity wise.

20" 7-08 - 162 ELD-M @ 2640 fps / 120 NBT @ 3021 fps

20" 7-08 AI - 162 ELD-M @ 2730 fps / 120 NBT @ 3117 fps

22" 7-08 AI - 162 ELD-M @ 2800 fps / 140 NAB @ 3020 fps

The 160 class bullets really make the 7-08 shine at distance.

Comment

Stu, I get 2600 and a little jingle with this guy (18” 7-08, no ai cuz no need on a shorty) with 140 Berger’s over 47 grns of H4350, Lapua turned brass to .0135 a side (.002 neck tension) and CCI BR2’s through an 18” Bartlein M24 with can. I like shooting Berger’s a little slower but, hey, that’s just me. I’ll get the freebore off of my reamer later if you’d like but I seat em .010 off lands and I get a little touch of a powder crunch when seating but who doesn’t like a compressed load? They always shoot better! Haha Thumped a pig in the ear at 860 last year and folded like a cheap suit. Deer don’t like it either so if anyone tells you otherwise I’d strongly disagree.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by kck; 12-02-2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I've used 140 Bergers before, in a .284 Winchester I had my first Huskemaw scope on. Was satisfied with accuracy and terminal performance on game (Pronghorn). My current consolidation consideration is for the 7mm-08 to complement my 7RM, and holding it to two bullets and powders for both guns - 140/160 Accubonds and H4350/4831. I'll run my .30cal Omega on the 7mm-08, it will help hold recoil down too. Anyone have recoil issues with the lightweight 7mm-08 guns?

This project will involve re-barreling a M700 BDL short action that I have in another caliber. Looking at the numbers above, I think a 20" barrel will do what I want and not look too out of place on the BDL. In fact, I seem to remember some 20" bbl BDL carbines being made at some point.

Hopefully I can work down the proliferation of rifles and components I've accumulated over the years and focus on these two. Next thing I need to do is find a gunsmith within driving distance of Tyler to re-barrel the rifle and doesn't mind working with a real wood stock!

Outstanding responses above, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Would enjoy any more out there, and rifle photos are always welcome......I ain't got custom rifle money but can live vicariously through the TBH brotherhood!

Stu

Comment

I have a 20” apr from the group build a few years ago. It is very light weight and is a dream to shoot with my sandman TI on it. I am shooting some custom loaded 120 barnes . I will have to look for the data from Will on the velocity.

Average velocity- 2780

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                      Stu, I get 2600 and a little jingle with this guy (18” 7-08, no ai cuz no need on a shorty) with 140 Berger’s over 47 grns of H4350, Lapua turned brass to .0135 a side (.002 neck tension) and CCI BR2’s through an 18” Bartlein M24 with can. I like shooting Berger’s a little slower but, hey, that’s just me. I’ll get the freebore off of my reamer later if you’d like but I seat em .010 off lands and I get a little touch of a powder crunch when seating but who doesn’t like a compressed load? They always shoot better! Haha Thumped a pig in the ear at 860 last year and folded like a cheap suit. Deer don’t like it either so if anyone tells you otherwise I’d strongly disagree.
                      Not to hijack this thread but do you have a build thread on this rifle? I am intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
                        My current consolidation consideration is for the 7mm-08 to complement my 7RM, and holding it to two bullets and powders for both guns - 140/160 Accubonds and H4350/4831. I'll run my .30cal Omega on the 7mm-08, it will help hold recoil down too. Anyone have recoil issues with the lightweight 7mm-08 guns?
                        Stu
                        I can certainly appreciate trying to consolidate components between the two rifles, especially with the market the way it is. The bullets you listed will work great. The powders you listed are going to hamstring you a little bit on velocity in a short barrel 7-08, due to their slower burn rates. I've tested H4350, and although it shoots tight, did not give me the velocity I was looking for even at max load (which was compressed). I sure wish it did, because I have a lot of it. This is strictly talking 16-20" barrels, as I know it will give velocity in longer barrels. I also don't fall into the velocity is everything group, but with your range considerations, velocity does play a role when it comes to bullet performance and energy. H4350 will certainly work, as shown by KCK above, but just giving you something else to think about. I personally load Varget.

As far as recoil with the suppressor, it's nothing. I shoot with an Omega 30 as well, and have no problem shooting 50+ rounds in a sitting, or witnessing impacts. My primary rifle is 10 lbs all in, so not what I would consider lightweight, but not too heavy either.
                        Last edited by cblackall; 12-02-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big H View Post
                          Not to hijack this thread but do you have a build thread on this rifle? I am intrigued.
                          PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by cblackall View Post
                            I can certainly appreciate trying to consolidate components between the two rifles, especially with the market the way it is. The bullets you listed will work great. The powders you listed are going to hamstring you a little bit on velocity in a short barrel 7-08, due to their slower burn rates. I've tested H4350, and although it shoots tight, did not give me the velocity I was looking for even at max load (which was compressed). I sure wish it did, because I have a lot of it. This is strictly talking 16-20" barrels, as I know it will give velocity in longer barrels. I also don't fall into the velocity is everything group, but with your range considerations, velocity does play a role when it comes to bullet performance and energy. H4350 will certainly work, as shown by KCK above, but just giving you something else to think about. I personally load Varget.

As far as recoil with the suppressor, it's nothing. I shoot with an Omega 30 as well, and have no problem shooting 50+ rounds in a sitting, or witnessing impacts. My primary rifle is 10 lbs all in, so not what I would consider lightweight, but not too heavy either.
                            Varget is always a great choice and I shoot it exclusively out of my 6br. Only shoot the H4350 out of the above little Frankenstein as it gave me the best spreads with really nice groups but that’s just out of this rig and Varget was a close second. Want to give a few of the VV powders a shot if I can swindle a little out of anyone. I kinda put velocity on the back burner considering what I was working with and opted for SD’s and ES’s since I was lobbing it out there anyway. My gun is FAR from light and, although you can **** near put it in your pocket, it’s got plenty weight to it so recoil with a can is somewhere between a 22 and a red ryder…haha

Comment

Re: recoil in lightweight 7-08

Dad got me a Rem Model 7 in 7-08 as my first deer rifle. Old Remington red/orange recoil pad. Barely tolerated the recoil and always thought I was a wuss from all I read about the light recoil of that round.

Was terrified the first time I touched off a 7mm Mag, but when I did I realized it hurt less than my “tame” 7-08.

Have since put a ton of rounds thru several guns, 3 other 7-08s, .270s, 7mags, 30-06, .338, and even some slugs.

Turns out I wasn’t such a wuss, but hot handloads thru a lightweight 7-08 just pack a punch. I’ve since restocked that rifle and it has a much better recoil pad, but I still shoot the Rem low recoil loads in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X