No announcement yet.

Eating Deer Liver & Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never waste a heart here. Victory heart is the appetizer for the night meal. Slice thin, remove the valve, and dip in flour and fry in some butter. Grill to medium rare is also excellent.

Deer liver is not so good. I make and will eat the snot out of liverwurst and any kind of liver sausage, but has to be pork. Made it once with deer. Yeah, not so much. Pork liver is more mild and a lighter color. Deer liver is darker than beef liver. Not good IMO

Comment

Never had the liver and never will. Heart is pretty good! I've mostly had it sliced up and chicken fried. Also had it another way that was some work but was really great! They cleaned the heart where it kind of rolled out, almost like a thin piece of steak. Browned it then placed bacon onions and seasonings on it and rolled and tied it up. Baked it till it was very tender and made gravy with the drippings!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Don’t like liver but heart is good. I take the heart fresh, season with fajita season with some lime and make tacos.
        Same here. I cut it open, sorta unroll it and trim all the little veins and stuff that doesn't look good. Score it with a sharp knife both ways, drop in a gallon bag with fajita marinade. Grill it med rare, slice it thin and make tacos. It's good. The texture is a little dense but it tastes good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
          The reason I don’t eat em is the same reason I don’t eat organ meat from other mammals, it ain’t no good. I don’t care what all the hipster meateaters say.
          Totally agree, we didn’t have a choice growing up. If my mom cooked it my dad made us it. Now I have a choice, and I choose to feed the coyotes and bears and birds, the organs.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            My grandma used to cook and eat lites and cow brains. Eggs and brains for breakfast was her favorite.
            Yes my dad made scrambled eggs and elk and deer brains many times. Deer, elk and cow , Tongue is another thing we had to eat quite a bit. I preferred the brain and eggs far better then the others, including heart, liver and kidneys.

Comment

I’ve eaten hearts from several, it is good. I haven’t been able to just fry and eat a whole deer liver, so I froze mine from this season and plan to make boudin with it.

Comment

Nuts and guts go to the buzzards and yotes! I have tried heart once (at least it is a muscle and not guts). It was edible, but far from good. Idk why anyone would want to eat that when there is so much good stuff to eat on a deer!!!

JMHO - YMMV

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Nuts and guts go to the buzzards and yotes! I have tried heart once (at least it is a muscle and not guts). It was edible, but far from good. Idk why anyone would want to eat that when there is so much good stuff to eat on a deer!!!

JMHO - YMMV

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  I'm with you.....if you're going to eat those, might as well it it's junk and nuts....maybe fillet it's arsehole too. Hail...you can eat a flipflop if you chicken-fry it
                  Last edited by Traildust; 11-01-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Eric, my mom chicken fried it and it was good. Very good meat. Now liver, I’d puked even trying to take a bite. No way.

Comment

I really liked the heart.. sliced about 1/2" thick and lightly seared it in a pan with olive oil.. very very tender! I also liked kidney, cleaned out up and sliced it in half and also seared it on the pan until cooked through. Pretty good.
                      Liver- I tried it and didn't like it. I'm willing to try again but dang I wasn't into it at all

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Liver is gonna be better off a young deer. Heart is good no matter what.

Comment

Not sure if they have em, but I worry about heart worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                            Not sure if they have em, but I worry about heart worms.
                            Heart worms would be obvious. I eat both all the time. Heart is not really organ meat. It's muscle same as the hams are muscle

Comment

Take your liver to Luby's and let them cook it for you. They always had the best liver and onions.

Comment

In our younger days we were known to put a stick thru fresh liver and cook it over a campfire. Yummy! I never leave a heart in the woods. Slice it up and fry in butter.

Comment

Working...
                                X