No announcement yet.

Baseball Batting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he is either coming around the ball (pull side) or is late (oppo side). There are a lot of drills to teach players to stay through the ball (hand inside the ball) and square the bat barrel up. Timing is so important in hitting a baseball. I tell people all the time that I will take poor mechanics and great timing over great mechanics and poor timing when evaluating hitters.

Comment

Make sure his bat fits him also. If it is too heavy or end loaded it could cause some issues.

Comment

Be very patient and be positive. If he enjoys Baseball and continues then he will be better at the game than you ever were. That will be a true statement if you think it through. I lived it with my son. I played Baseball and “thought” I was good. I was never even remotely close to as great as my son was. He had 11 scholarship offers but had to stop playing due to a shoulder injury. No regrets. This is why I say to stay patient and be positive with your son. He will excel if wants to. Like someone else said above....find assistance from someone who knows what they are doing. Baseball is NOT an easy sport for those that are unable to hit a 90mph fastball. My son used to laugh about that because he could do it. It’s kind of like golf....it can be frustrating. Try not to get frustrated as a Parent. You are not playing. Assist by getting him a great Hitting Instructor and pay for it......for years and years because that is what it takes. All the way through High School as well. One day it all comes to an end and it will be quicker than you think.

Comment

1" PVC 36" long and lots of golf wiffel balls. You'll be surprised how much his eye hand coordination will improve.

Comment

If he's fouling hes probably late, but could be a series of things. Is he stepping out? is he open when starting? My 9 year old has completed the camwood program twice, my 7 year old is half way. They already had their mechanics down, but it allowed them to have a quicker bat. My 9 y/o is probably going to move up to a drop 8 bat. you have any video of him hitting?

Comment

Honestly - I would consult with folks locally, and find a good guy to work with him.

There could be a lot of reasons for what you are suggesting.

Comment

Hey OP, what's your location? I'd bet someone could put you in touch with a good instructor in your area. I know a few in the Tyler / ETX area.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Ok…. Ok. I’m glad you are trying to help your son. That’s great. But as a baseball guy, reading this paragraph is painful. Foul balls aren’t hits, hits aren’t foul balls. Contact is good, but the direction of the ball is important. His swing doesn’t need to be hard, it needs to be smooth. He also needs to keep the head of the bat in the zone as long as possible. Swinging hard with no knowledge of how is most likely resulting in him pulling his front shoulder out away from the plate and/or dropping the bat head resulting in foul balls on the first base side for a righty. The majority of kids pull their shoulder out and drag the bat, instead of staying inside and throwing the head of the bat at the ball.

From reading this it doesn’t sound like you are a baseball person, not a shot at you at all. Find your kid a hitting coach in the area and let them teach him how to hit.
                  Very good info! Very painful to read, but yet judging his son as the best

I give alot of lessons weekly, and from your info its impossible to answer this and help

A slow motion video would help alot

Comment

Drag bat and rolling over to early, but without seeing it it's impossible to know. Have him hit off a tee, then soft toss, then front toss. Between those three drills the problem should become obvious.

Comment

I'm in the Conroe area. If you are anywhere nearby, bring him to me. I will work with him free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1j View Post
                        My son plays middle school baseball. Almost all of his hits are foul balls. When he does make good contact it is a good hit. What can we do to help with this. He has a good hard swing but its always foul balls.
                        Contact Chase Lambin - see link https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...t=Chase+Lambin

Former Ragin Cajun Kick-arse baseball player , professional baseball player, and hitting coach in the Rangers organization

The Japanese absolutely loved this dude !!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKhGNn3HzI&t=46s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKhGNn3HzI&t=46s[/ame]

Comment

At that age make sure he drives the knob of the bat into the catchers mit then pulls hands forward. Proper swing mechanics now will prevent him from suffering later. Young kids hitting lots of foul balls can be a sweeping swing. Take a video of him in cage and post

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            I'm in the Conroe area. If you are anywhere nearby, bring him to me. I will work with him free of charge.
                            Very nice offer sir

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                              Find a hitting coach. It is money well spent if he is wanting to get better.

Hitting balls off a tee can tell you a lot. Tee work is important at all levels of the game.
                              X2

My son improved 20 fold after working with a hitting coach. Never played littled league, and he's plays highschool ball, he's a JR. now, we finally got him set up with sessions last year, and it made a world of difference.

Comment

How about some top hand tee work and work on hitting the ball middle away..
                                then bottom hand tee work by hitting middle away.
                                if he wants to be good he needs to hit line drives to back of the cage off a tee.
                                did I mention tee work?

Comment

Working...
                                X