Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge Solar Storm Hitting Earth Today......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** SUV's!!

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
      Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night by any chance?

Nope. Got interested in solar flares back about 15 years ago so I started reading up about them. We had a couple of VERY close calls back in 2012 that did effect things, but once again nothing major. You can go to spaceweather.com and all of the current stuff related to the sun is on that site. You can even get text message alerts for strong solar flares. It’s not a matter of if we are going to get hit by another strong solar flare but rather a matter of when.

When the Carington Event occurred, the northern lights were seen as far south as the Caribbean!!

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
        Depending on the speed of the CME(coronal mass ejection), the worst of it would hit within a day or two. There is always an initial ionization of the earth’s atmosphere that happens first within a few minutes of the solar flare taking place, but that is not as bad and typically only effects radio.
        I sense the excitement/interest in your posts! But I’m thinking this only concerns about .01% of TBH’s population

Comment

had my sirius/xm on since about 1:00 pm, nothing happened as far as i know.
          maybe it was this morning??

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            I sense the excitement/interest in your posts! But I’m thinking this only concerns about .01% of TBH’s population

I’m passionate about stuff like this and find it fascinating. I find it interesting how few people know about this and how big of an impact it has and can have on our lives. Luckily, with a strong solar flare we can have some advance warning to help protect our homes and property. All you need to do is to turn off the main circuit breaker for your house separating your house from the rest of the power grid. A CME needs a long antenna to pick up the voltage in order to cause problems. Power lines (above or below ground) are a perfect antenna that pick up that voltage. This is completely different than what happens with an EMP(electromagnetic pulse) from a nuclear bomb.

Comment

In such a bad event it is my understanding we will not have enough transformers for many years to get the grid back up to 100% and that was before Covid crap. Guess now it would be measured by decades. Anyone know anything different?

What about those chips in cars?
              Last edited by E.TX.BOWHUNTER; 10-13-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Can I blame the solar flair on all the dumb stuff I do?

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                  In such a bad event it is my understanding we will not have enough transformers for many years to get the grid back up to 100% and that was before Covid crap. Guess now it would be measured by decades. Anyone know anything different?

What about those chips in cars?

From what I have read, you are correct. Pretty much every transformer would blow if we got a very strong solar flare to hit us.

As far as cars, they would all be ok. The electromagnetic wave from a CME is VERY long and thus it needs a really big antenna to pick up on that power. Power lines and phone lines are good antennas. Your radio antenna on your car is just not long enough to really pick up on the voltage, nor are the wires in the car long enough either.

Comment

Fascinating stuff

Comment

Well, we just had a strong solar flare from the sun. As of right now it appears to be an X1 flare which is the strongest type of flare, and early reports show that it is earth bound.

Even though this solar flare is many, MANY times stronger than the last one that this thread was started over, it still isn’t big enough to cause major problems. You will see problems with satellite radio, satellite tv reception problems, and more static than normal on AM and FM radio bands. Once we get around the X10 or bigger is when we really start to see major disruptions.

EDIT:

Earlier in this thread someone asked how long of a notice we would get if a major CME were to hit us. Well, scientists expect this particular CME to hit us on the 30th or 31st. That is 2-3 days. If the CME were traveling at a higher speed then that could be as short as 1-2 days.
                      Last edited by 91cavgt; 10-28-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        Earlier in this thread someone asked how long of a notice we would get if a major CME were to hit us. Well, scientists expect this particular CME to hit us on the 30th or 31st. That is 2-3 days. If the CME were traveling at a higher speed then that could be as short as 1-2 days.
                        That was me. I just wanted to know If I had enough time to go get some beer before it hit.

Comment

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Blew some shingles off my roof....

Comment

Working...
                            X