Taking the AR one step further.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the AR one step further.

The 13” rule thread got me thinking. How much support would there be for a rule of no 13” deer but every other year except for youth hunters. No changes to the AR rules. A lot of counties large ranches are being fractured into smaller ranches and everyone wants a big buck but it then goes to the discussion of “if I don’t kill him the neighbors will”

Don’t know about y’all but it’s getting old passing 3 year olds multiple times just to have my wife show me pictures of them dead on Facebook. Lol

Just spitballing here. What are your thoughts

I believe when the state first started to develop the recipe the buck every other year idea was kicked around first, I believe the idea never made it far because of expected loss of license sale revenue on those odd years buck season was closed. A better idea is shortening rifle season in the high pressure texas counties like oklahoma or a dozen other midwestern states do.

Comment

I hadn’t thought about the hunters that wouldn’t buy a license because of it. I would just assume everyone would still buy one to take their does for the meat. That’s the reason I always get when asking why shoot young deer with potential. “Can’t eat them horns” or “The young ones taste better” are the common answers I get. But they shoot the biggest young one they can find.

Comment

I would not pay for a lease but every other year

Comment

Shortening the rifle season would be great. I would love for rifle season to miss the rut in my counties.

Comment

I think it is fine like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
              How much support would there be for a rule of no 13” deer but every other year except for youth hunters.
              Zero support.

Terrible idea.

Comment

Shorten the rifle season or remove crossbows from archery season unless disabled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Shorten the rifle season or remove crossbows from archery season unless disabled

How about both.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    Zero support.

Terrible idea.

Yep. I’m not paying for a lease I can’t kill a buck on every year.

Comment

I’d be all for a shortened rifle season. Some counties don’t need a shortened season at all. I’m talking more about the counties with a high number of small places and lots of hunters. It would never work in the hill country or south Texas where the deer density is higher and bigger ranches.

Comment

I hate the spike buck part of it. I would like to see them do away with that part of the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHUNTER View Post
                          I hate the spike buck part of it. I would like to see them do away with that part of the rule.
                          Me too. 99% of those killed are yearlings.

Comment

While we are talking shorter rifle season, shorten all the seasons. No reason to discriminate. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              How about both.

Fine with me!

Comment

Working...
                              X