Taxidermy as a hobby(and to save money)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxidermy as a hobby(and to save money)

I want to get into doing my own mounts. Anyone do this strictly as a hobby? Am I making a BIG mistake?

Go for it, start with videos and on your own projects. Never stop looking for ways to improve
    and you'll be surprised where it might take you! Take criticism with an open mind and learn from
    your mistakes, practice does make perfect!

Comment

I've recently started mounting ducks. I have 7 in the freezer to practice on. I won't show you my first one!

Comment

I do it as a hobby only. Saves time and saves me money!!

Comment

Many years ago i wanted to learn so i bought some vid's and got after it. My step brother gave me a deer to mount, then a brother in law, then my dad and so on until i had mounted i believe 10 or 12. All were pretty good and everyone really liked them.
          Unfortunately to this day i have never mounted anything for myself.

But now that my kids are starting to hunt with me more and more im thinking i might mount something next year if for no other reason but to make my kids proud

Comment

as a hobby is great. as far as doing it for extra income, prepare to limit your hunting season, by staying home waiting on customers to pick/ drop off animals. I ended up quiting after a couple of years. I have a full time job. and you will be taking business away from the full timers.

Comment

I do it as a hobby also. You can buy books from WASCO that are good. I have been doing it for quite awhile now, started doing it just for me and my son's. Then friends started wanting a good deal. Its a lot of work for little money if you ask me. But you will understand that taxidermist don't get rich.

Comment

I've done it for 50+ years. Get with a good taxidermist and learn first hand, best way to learn it. Books, not so much.

I only do mine and families deer, etc.

Buck I mounted couple years ago. 171" ten point my wife killed...

Comment

Thats exactly my thoughts guys. My son is getting to that point and I can see it costing an arm and a leg! I would never do it as buisness. Is the start up tools expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                    I want to get into doing my own mounts. Anyone do this strictly as a hobby? Am I making a BIG mistake?
                    Yes.

Comment

What are the best videos to get? Tools needed? Any advice appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                        I've recently started mounting ducks. I have 7 in the freezer to practice on. I won't show you my first one!
                        Oh C'mon bro, I think you did great for your first try
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	BADDUCK.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	24362351

But seriously, Ive been thinking about the same thing. I have a buck in my freezer that I was on a limb about mounting. Thought I might give it a try and just scrap it if it looks that bad after my first attempt. Good luck to you man. I think it would be really cool to mount my own animal!

Comment

It can be a very rewarding hobby but if you're not careful it can quickly turn into a second full time job.

If you don't plan on doing the tanning, which I would suggest sending out, the start up costs are minimal. Aside from a mounting stand the other tools are surprisingly simple.

Get a video from Mckenzie and see if you think you have the knack.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            It can be a very rewarding hobby but if you're not careful it can quickly turn into a second full time job.

If you don't plan on doing the tanning, which I would suggest sending out, the start up costs are minimal. Aside from a mounting stand the other tools are surprisingly simple.

Do you have "the knack"? I only ask since I haven't seen much of your work lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                              Do you have "the knack"? I only ask since I haven't seen much of your work lately.

He got TOLD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X