ERCOT- what’s the problem now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    HVT or High Voltage Transmission lines require maintenance/rebuild/cut ins from new substations, etc. In order to perform this work, circuits must be de-energized, or, a planned outage. ERCOT does not allow planned outages from June through September due to the Texas heat and the high demand for electricity. Therefore, to perform all the work that is needed on the thousands of miles of transmission lines across the state and/or plants, it has to be done in a certain time frame. Typically the fall through spring. When you experience warmer than normal temperatures during these planned outages, it can cause a strain on the grid. Come summer time, there will be no outages and the grid will be at full capacity. It’s really that simple.
    I fully understand and what you said is accurate. But when outages are planned on generators or transmission lines a contingency plan has to be filed in advance and approved by ercot. So ercot has the final word. Deregulation was a step in the wrong direction. Did anyone's price per kwh go down ?

Comment

We have a unit supposed to come back online today, new relay installs kicking our hiney right now.
      Spring outage season, an annual event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        It’s been that way for a long time. And the demand isn’t as high in the winter because a lot of people have gas or propane to heat with during the winter so the electricity consumption isn’t as high, as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Sleepy is on point. Winter demand in Texas is nothing compared to summer demand, normally. The few days this winter were obviously a massive anomaly. Outages are planned in winter and / or what we call shoulder months (March,. October) , but not in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I miss the days when every town had their own local power plant - and they were actual electricity generation plants, not windmills or solar farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
            Is it too hot?

FROM WBAP 820AM: ERCOT is requesting energy conservation. Consumers and businesses are urged to reduce electricity use this afternoon and evening. Reply STOP to quit
            The wind is not blowing and the firm load plants are doing maintenance. Too much renewable. The answer is rather obvious to those of us in the industry. Why ERCOT can't figure it out is just sad.

Comment

Something folk ain’t understanding. We have been told for years our Texas power system’s poop don’t stink. Eventhough population has increased so have the number of power options, nuclear, fossil, wind, solar, and such. Couple that with almost every household has higher seer air systems, led lights, and energy star electronics.

What they should specifically say is “don’t run your clothes dryer today”.

Third World, y’all better prepare !

Comment

Originally posted by C.patterson View Post
                It’s almost like the Californians are bringing the rolling black ours with them.

And our governor can’t invite them by the droves any faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Wait till they start shutting down plants to winterize. They better start building more plants.

Comment

The statement they posted, stated that they scheduled maintenance on their power plants yesterday expecting a cold front (that stalled and did not come in until last night) to provide cooler temps and the power demand to be light. Instead, it was hot yesterday which resulted in more power being pulled from fewer running power plants. IMO makes me question the poor planning, yet again.

Comment

Heads need to roll. You boys can try to explain it all you want. We have more energy sources available here in our own state than pretty well anyone else and the workers to make it efficient. DO IT. Build better plants. Make it reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Heads need to roll. You boys can try to explain it all you want. We have more energy sources available here in our own state than pretty well anyone else and the workers to make it efficient. DO IT. Build better plants. Make it reliable.
                          I agree with this 100%, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            If they didn't roll all of those heads yet, it may never happen.

Today's reason is maintenance, but I'm sure their trump card excuse is climate change.

Comment

Working...
                            X