Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
    What high dollar repair bills?

Injectors being one. Not crazy about throwing around $8-$10 k on repairs like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
      Injectors being one. Not crazy about throwing around $8-$10 k on repairs like this.

The last one I had replaced was $700.00 in 2016...
      But by all means spend 50-60k and not have to worry about those injectors...
      Sounds like your mind is already made up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
        Just the opposite for me. I’ll take the Ford for towing all day.
        Do you own both?

Comment

It's going to cost you far more to buy either of those new trucks. Your truck has tons of life left in it, and most likely reasonably trouble free, life. There are no guarantees you won't have a big repair on a new truck either.

I'm not here to talk you out of a new truck, but the best all around play is to keep the one you have. I wish I'd kept my '10 that I sold 4 years ago with 280k on it...

Comment

New Truck Question 7.3 gas ford or 6.7 cummins

You shouldn’t have any injector issues unless you get junk fuel. And even at that injectors don’t have to cost that much.

You can was little talk yourself into a new $60-$70k truck if you want to, when IMO your current truck has tons of life left in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
              Do you own both?
              No longer have the Cummins. Towing 22k weekly I’ll take the Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                I got two dodges and a new Ford at my house. Here's my 2 cents...

Keep it. I had a 2011 6.7 Cummins that was a solid truck. I sold it with right at 300k with absolutely zero issues. Had plenty of life left. I have a 2016 ram 2500 and 2018 ram 3500 right now. Both trucks have right over 100k. I plan to keep them as long as I can. Fuel mileage is outstanding on both trucks. I get about 15-16 MPG on the dually and about 18-20 mpg on the 2500. 2500 has a 3" lift and 36" toyo MT's and replacement bumpers. Dually has 33"s and a leveling kit with a heavy ranch hand replacement bumper.

The 2020 f350 dually 6.7 powerstroke we just got is a beast, but fuel mileage is still terrible on them. Truck has 3.55 gears in it with the 10 speed, and you're lucky to get 13 MPG with it. Stock tires with no lift. Has replacement ranch hands. The 2018 ram 3500 dually high output will outpull that Ford and gets better fuel mileage. However, I like driving that f350 better than the Dodge. Rides twice as good. Don't get me wrong, the Ford will flat out smoke the dodge dually in a race, however it doesn't have the balls that the Dodge does. I still have no interest in gassers. Personally If I didn't need a heavy duty truck, I would probably just get a Tundra.
                I’m shocked to hear you get horrible MPG in your new 2020 Dually, my dad and brother bother have new 2020’s and unloaded they get better MPG than my 16 3/4 duramax, now loaded they don’t get great but they haul pretty good loads with their trucks when hauling animals

Comment

So I've had this thought as well. What holds me back is watched a co worker of mine dump right at $20,000 in a 2006 Cummins that he babied with only about 180,000 miles. After all this money spent, it got to where it was a 50/50 shot everyday after work if his truck would crank in the parking lot. He finally wiped his hands and had enough. The guy was about 55 years old and bought it brand new. The truck was used but well taken care of. I just dont want to get caught in a spot like this. He ended up trading in this truck for about $12,000.
                  Similar with a 2003 Duramax - injectors went out twice. Dropped down to a F150 gasser. I'll be dumping it before the warrantee expires. Afraid of same thing happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    That's the problem with relatively modern diesels. They need to be run hard or they have all kinds of issues. It's a problem across all three brands. I totally understand your concern, but way more make it to 300k than don't, especially these days. Hell gas engines are making it 200k no problem these days.

I am just about to turn 170k on my 6.7 F250, and I fully expect it to make it to 300k. She pulls hard, and the only money (knock on wood) that has gone into her is some front end parts, good oil and filters, and shocks.

I pull a 10k travel trailer several times a month.
                    I firmly agree with this. Running my '18 Duramax relatively hard all day with almost 100k. Two minor repairs including a steering box and one glow plug issue covered under warranty early on is all. Brother in law has same year model driving very little and total opposite luck.

They all can break but would rather have a newer year model truck regardless of mileage. Sure no emissions would be best but its not going anywhere while also becoming more reliable the last few years from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                      Similar with a 2003 Duramax - injectors went out twice. Dropped down to a F150 gasser. I'll be dumping it before the warrantee expires. Afraid of same thing happening again.

I believe there were well known issues with that generation of Duramax engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hear some of the 10 speed transmission are having some trouble popping up
                        In the 2020 some can be fixed with a reprogram, others not

Comment

Keep the 12’.

Worst case numbers here-
                          6.7 rebuild $8k
                          Injectors/connector tubes $2500
                          Trans rebuild $4k

Add some longevity upgrades to your 12 and keep trucking. Fass fuel system for added filtration and water separator, as well as a trans service- install a ProTect68 kit at it while your in there.

You’ll pay through the nose for a new truck these days anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                            No longer have the Cummins. Towing 22k weekly I’ll take the Ford.
                            What year was the Cummins? Was it a high output? My 16 with a 68rfe transmission doesn't hold a candle to my 18 high output with an Aisin transmission. The high outputs produce close to 200 more ft ibs of torque compared to the standard output's with the 68 RFE transmission (even the same year models). The 2020 Ford will smoke my 16 Dodge pulling, but it won't touch that 18 HO.

Comment

Working...
                            X