Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone spotted any Purple Martin or Hummingbird scouts yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
    1” rigid. They still move quite a bit when the wind is blowing.

Heck my biggest house is on 3" square tubing and it moves pretty good too. My others are on 2" pipe (cause that's what I had lying around). My big box has 24 compartments though (12 on each side) and is made out of 1" (3/4") lumber with a metal roof... sucker is heavy! My brother built it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Heck my biggest house is on 3" square tubing and it moves pretty good too. My others are on 2" pipe (cause that's what I had lying around). My big box has 24 compartments though (12 on each side) and is made out of 1" (3/4") lumber with a metal roof... sucker is heavy! My brother built it for me.
      Wow!
      I assume you leave yours up?

Comment

Still no hummers but it was 36 here this morning. The red-headed vultures are beginning to return so hummers will soon follow...March 19 is usually the date.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          Wow!
          I assume you leave yours up?

No, they're on pivots so I can let them down for cleaning and I store them in the barn once the season ends for Winter. Historically I have put them back up first of Feb, but this year, didn't get 'em up until after the Snowmageddon... Year before last, I probably had 30-40 pairs nesting... left 'em up all year and last year, very few... Thought it might have been because I didn't clean 'em out so I brought them in just before Christmas after all the birds had left, cleaned 'em out and repainted the big one. Will see if they return to normal this year...

Comment

Alright alright alright!! I thought I saw a PM on the house yesterday evening when I arrived home from work. Sure enough...he was there this morning and I was able to shoot a small video. These things sure have some cool, distinct and unmistakable vocalization.

Looks like we have our first PM scout at Trinity Acres. I hope he likes what he sees and brings back some friends. Maybe we will be successful as first year landlords after all!

Comment

We had two hummingbirds show up this morning in Richmond.

Comment

We had a couple of Hummingbirds show up in Conroe today.

Comment

Dad just put his house back up at the farm last week and already has four residents occupying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone seeing hummers near DFW? I put my feeders out this week - have not seen any yet.

Comment

I have seen0000000000 of either

Comment

Martins are around my houses, but don't seem to be really getting after it like in years past... Don't know what the deal is...
                        Put Hummingbird feeders out last Saturday and have not seen any birds as yet... I'm afraid the resident birds that usually over-winter here may have fell victim to the Snowmageddon... Usually by now they're all over my wife's wisteria vine. It's in full bloom right now and haven't seen anything but bumble bees on it...

Comment

Had our first hummer show up yesterday in east central Callahan county.

Comment

I put my feeders out last week, no visitors seen yet (Parker County). I love to watch the Hummingbirds!

Comment

Bunch of Martins here in town last weekend.

Comment

Couple of hummers in S Houston now.............

Comment

Working...
                                X