High end day packs with pack out capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I’ve been scouring the market for a while and I *think* I might be in the market for a new pack.

So far I have a Mystery Ranch pop up-28, a horn hunter full curl lite, and a horn hunter main beam.

What I’m really looking for is a pack with functional load lifters. The mystery ranch sucks horribly with loads above 70lbs, and the full curl lite did away with load lifters to cut weight.

I had a stone glacier sky archer for a while but hated it because going through brush with load lifters that high was obnoxious.

Honestly I just wish mystery ranch would put a better belt on the pop-up 28, but is the belt any different on the pop-up 38? My options seem like I’d be pressed to look into Stone Glacier, Kifaru, or an Exo Mtn Gear. I really don’t like having load lifters like a normal frame pack has which is why I got the pop-up 28, but I’m open to suggestions.

This is all with saddle hunting but for reference, I’d prefer to have the ability to pack out the entire deer in one load.

Anyone with experience running these as a day pack, I’d appreciate the feedback! Oh
    Last edited by Kirby86; 02-28-2021, 01:07 PM.

I love my alps commander and I throw my backpack on it but this one comes with a pack also

I out my entire mule deer quarters and head on mine last year. Comfortable and light pack frame

They also sell the lite version without the top frame and bottom I think

Comment

I went through this for a while when I was younger during my first 15 or so years of public land hunting. Finally, figured out that multiple packs were needed. Each having a certain use for certain types of hunting/work. Sometimes it meant taking two types with me for a certain hunt. And storing one till needed.

Comment

There’s a lot of packs out there that are high quality that can do everything you’re looking for. One problem, that certain pick will do everything you need it to, but is only good for that one circumstance.

That said, I use Exo packs. I have the k2 frame, but 3 different size bags that I interchange depending what I’m doing. For a day pack I run my 1800 on it with a lid. This has enough room to carry everything I’ll need for a day, has great load lifters, can pack out an entire animal, and even attach my bow or rifle. When I’m hunting out west multiple days living out of it, I swap the bags to either my 3500 or 5500 depending on trip duration. All on the same frame. When you’re spending 500$ on a backpack IMO it better be able to do multiple different things. The Exo system allows just that without having to buy a whole other pack. If you have any questions on frame durability comfort, I’ve personally used mine to pack out game from moose all the way down to turkey and it performed flawlessly and was comfortable the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
          There’s a lot of packs out there that are high quality that can do everything you’re looking for. One problem, that certain pick will do everything you need it to, but is only good for that one circumstance.

That said, I use Exo packs. I have the k2 frame, but 3 different size bags that I interchange depending what I’m doing. For a day pack I run my 1800 on it with a lid. This has enough room to carry everything I’ll need for a day, has great load lifters, can pack out an entire animal, and even attach my bow or rifle. When I’m hunting out west multiple days living out of it, I swap the bags to either my 3500 or 5500 depending on trip duration. All on the same frame. When you’re spending 500$ on a backpack IMO it better be able to do multiple different things. The Exo system allows just that without having to buy a whole other pack. If you have any questions on frame durability comfort, I’ve personally used mine to pack out game from moose all the way down to turkey and it performed flawlessly and was comfortable the whole time.
          This is what I’d recommend, it’s also what I do. I’m not sure I’ll ever leave the exo line of bags. I use mine mainly for saddle hunting and packing in platform and sticks, with the occasional western hunt. I’d highly recommend this route

Comment

Kirby, I use a MR mule on the guide light frame. I have been looking at a non-meat hauling pack for saddle hunting as I have to make 2 trips anyway because of my climbing system. Guide light frame seems great for load hauling to me but is not convenient up the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
              Kirby, I use a MR mule on the guide light frame. I have been looking at a non-meat hauling pack for saddle hunting as I have to make 2 trips anyway because of my climbing system. Guide light frame seems great for load hauling to me but is not convenient up the tree.

Yeah that’s what I ran into with the stone glacier.

I know they’ve probably been posted about but does anyone have any hands on experience with the Kifaru Stryker on a 22 inch frame?

I’m leaning towards either the Kifaru or as others have mentioned, the Exo Mtn Gear but not sure which bag.

I have a weird body shape. I’m 6ft tall with an 18 inch (extra small) torso. And I’m a 31 inch draw on a bow so I’m kinda shaped like an orangutan on stilts [emoji23]. Makes buying packs an endeavor!
              Last edited by Kirby86; 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I run a Kifaru with a Stryker, very versatile pack. Nomad is also very versatile. I’ve had Exo before and they are also very good. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN View Post
                  I run a Kifaru with a Stryker, very versatile pack. Nomad is also very versatile. I’ve had Exo before and they are also very good. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

What’s your thoughts on the Stryker with a camp bag on it? Only complaint I’ve had from buddies is that it seems to sit too far out with it on. My friend has the Ma Deuce but I don’t feel like I need a bag that big most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                    What’s your thoughts on the Stryker with a camp bag on it? Only complaint I’ve had from buddies is that it seems to sit too far out with it on. My friend has the Ma Deuce but I don’t feel like I need a bag that big most of the time.

I haven’t had a chance to run it that way yet. I have a camp bag but hunted NM last year and didn’t have to pack in. I can see how it would stick out a bit, need to load mine up and see. Camp bag and nomad worked out nice.. had that setup a few years ago.

Comment

Call Kifaru. They will answer any question you may have about pack fit. And they are made in USA with USA material unlike others that are made in USA with Chinese buckles and nylon.

Comment

Mystery ranch pintler. Packed out 2 antelope at once with it . Worked great

Comment

When you say Day Pack, I'm thinking everyday use with OCCASIONAL packing of loads. I went thru many, before I found that I love my Badlands Sacrifice the best of all of them! Lightweight at only 3 3/4 pounds, but large single compartment which will hold about 60-70# of boned meat. Really good belt and straps which fit me. It is the ultimate walk-about antelope or Coues deer hunting pack. Hydration compatible, and can put a lot of stuff in the extra pockets.

Comment

Working...
                          X