No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pulling a few picklers, a few straight 8's, some cherry/grape tomatoes, peppers, and okra currently. Big tomatoes are done. Canned about 20 pints of pickles, 10 pints of salsa, 4-5 pints of relish, and about to start on okra. Pretty good for our little garden. I'll trade my brother for a few pints of tomatoes. All in all I would say an average year other than cukes(which was exceptional for us). Keep the info coming gentlemen!

Comment

Where do y’all buy your canning lids, supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
        Heb, target, target online. Etc if you can find them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post

Pretty much every grocery store has a canning section. Once you have enough jars, all you need to buy are the flat lids. I gift a lot of what I can and always ask for the jars to be returned. Sometimes they make it home. sometimes they don’t. But occasionally I’ll find a box of empty jars on my porch.

Comment

Oh ya, after a while of giving squash away, I have to wait until my friends ar not home a just leave a sack on the porch by their front door. Works every time. I do not understand why folks just refuse to one and pick their own.....cC

Comment

Thanks for tips on canning supplies

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                Any type of caterpillar or worm I use BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) spray. It's an organic insecticide and was VERY effective this year on caterpillars eating my tomatoes. You can find at Home Depot or Lowes and Amazon. Use weekly. I also use Neem oil every week as well to control aphids and other leaf eating bugs.
                Can you mix this and the Neem oil together and spray at one time?

Comment

Peppers are firing up...

Comment

Any thoughts on good fall crops? Looks like many of you have a natural green thumb

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                      Peppers are firing up...

What varieties are you growing? My red savinas are finally ripening, and the ghosts just started yesterday. Should have a lot of Trinidad scorpions here in another few weeks as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                        Peppers are firing up...
                        Yea, my tabasco are finally taking off.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	24624790

Comment

First Carolina Reaper of the year.

Comment

And a little Basil and Rosemary.

Comment

Done picking tomatoes. Ended up with 1115 pounds for the year on 22 plants. Thats over 50# per plant average. Started weighing because its a new garden and plants were just loaded. Other plants doing just as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pear tree is pretty heavy and hope someone can use some. I am east side Georgetown. Good snackers, cobblers and canning if someone likes to do that. The damaged pears (many) become bait if I am lucky enough to hunt. I check the site random so replies may be delayed. I estimate 50 plus usable pears available. Unsure of variety. I meticulously keep records but lost this tree type. They are a semi hard sweet apple type. Medium to small.

Comment

Working...
                                X