Game Biologist suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Biologist suggestions

We are on a 3500 low fence lease just on the north side of lake OH Ivie. This was our first year on the lease and we’ve been very pleased with what we have seen numbers wise and genetics. I have a really good group of hunters and we really want to manage this ranch to best of our ability. My question is do any of you in a similar situation use a game biologist to make recommendations? And if so who do you use and what is cost ?Or should we do MLD ? Or just do the usual and try to only harvest mature bucks and shoot plenty doe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ttt

Comment

I had a place for years just south of Ivie back towards Millersview. One thing with that country that I think would be to keep your numbers in check and make sure to shoot the junk. We consistently took deer into the 40s with bows. I'm not sure that country will produce consistent deer above that. I would think 150 would be a special animal. There will always be a freak killed around that area that scores good but that isn't the norm. We had 10K acres and lots of wheat with good numbers. It was a challenge to keep up with all the inferior deer.
      Good Luck

Comment

You might want to reach out to your local state biologist and discuss the MLD program. I am sure they will discuss it with you without a commitment at first.

They will only manage your numbers. It will be up to you to manage the quality. I am sure they can help you get to your management/quality goals, or at least ours does.

Comment

Spouse's family has been using the Noble Research Inst. in Oklahoma for years on their 3,500 acre property. They help with management objectives, controlled burning, cattle rotations, spotlight counts, etc..
          I'm betting the state would help as well as state above.

Comment

I would contact the state biologist for your area.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I’ll contact the biologist tomorrow and see what they can offer

Comment

If you decide to go the private Biologist route, you will not find a more knowledgeable or respected Biologist than Macy Ledbetter. Look up Spring creek outdoors. he lives in Central Texas just NW of San Saba. Tell him Mitch sent you that way. I would venture to guess he helps close to 1.5 to 2 million acres of ranches in Texas and Mexico.

Comment

Rob Hall is a friend of mine and is a wildlife biologist. He's managed the Faith Ranch for Stuart Stedman and the La Bandera for Bob Hickson among others. PM me and I'll see if I can put you in contact with him.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys I’ve contacted the state Biologist in Coleman county he responded by letting me know he was out of pocket all week but that he would contact next week . So I’m gonna try this route first and see what happens . But I certainly may contact y’all if this doesn’t pan out and get the private Biologist info. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                      If you decide to go the private Biologist route, you will not find a more knowledgeable or respected Biologist than Macy Ledbetter. Look up Spring creek outdoors. he lives in Central Texas just NW of San Saba. Tell him Mitch sent you that way. I would venture to guess he helps close to 1.5 to 2 million acres of ranches in Texas and Mexico.

X2.

Comment

It’s not that hard feed,water and age gets you a very good start. Keep the does down and shoot culls for a few years to get the junk out. Only shoot mature 6.5 year olds and get the right amount of protein feeders to feed your place. Don’t buy #1000 feeders if your going to feed buy as big as you can afford and make sure they can eat it first before you fill them all the way up. The rest is just time money and patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                          It’s not that hard feed,water and age gets you a very good start. Keep the does down and shoot culls for a few years to get the junk out. Only shoot mature 6.5 year olds and get the right amount of protein feeders to feed your place. Don’t buy #1000 feeders if your going to feed buy as big as you can afford and make sure they can eat it first before you fill them all the way up. The rest is just time money and patience.

Correct ! And we know how to do that I just thought we would get a “professional opinion “

Comment

Working...
                          X