529 rollover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

529 rollover

My 2 year old is in a 529 American funds 2033. Expense ratio is 1.54% and about to roll over to a 529 vanguard. Any reason to reconsider?

Dont have an answer for you but my kids 529s are with edward jones and the adviser is only suppose to earn commission on what it earns, to this point it has only lost! ~$20

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      My 2 year old is in a 529 American funds 2033. Expense ratio is 1.54% and about to roll over to a 529 vanguard. Any reason to reconsider?
      I think you are making the right move. That expense ratio is sky high.

Comment

Check out nysaves.org

At the time I looked (2 years ago) it was the best I could find.

Over 2 years, its 16% growth, but that will vary depending on your investment choices.

Comment

Vanguard expense ratio is .15%

Comment

Last 2 years was good, paid out capital gains and dividend. But that expense ratio is very high.

If you lost on anything last few years, I’d be searching for a new financial guy.

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
            Dont have an answer for you but my kids 529s are with edward jones and the adviser is only suppose to earn commission on what it earns, to this point it has only lost! ~$20

Comment

Last 2 years was good, paid out capital gains and dividend. But that expense ratio is very high.

If you lost on anything last few years, I’d be searching for a new financial guy.
              well I am making money on my iras etc so im not sure whats going on with the 529..its been going less than a year so still getting a feel for it

Comment

Who does he have your iras and 529s with?

My guess is your 529 is set very conservative.

well I am making money on my iras etc so im not sure whats going on with the 529..its been going less than a year so still getting a feel for it

Comment

Who does he have your iras and 529s with?

My guess is your 529 is set very conservative.
                  Not the most knowledgeable about this hence the advisor but from what I can tell the iras are pretty diverse(14 different shares) and are higher risk since my wife and i are relatively young.

This is all the 529 says if it means anything to you...AMERICAN FDS COLLEGE TARGET

Comment

You might want to revisit the fee/commission arrangement with him...

Comment

Look at the historical performance of the underlying funds, and you'll probably see why staying with American Funds is worth the additional fees. I would, however, talk to your advisor about purchasing A shares, which if held more than 5 years(an obvious outcome), will be cheaper on a fee basis than the C shares you currently own.

Comment

1.54% seems high, but it is worth looking at the performance of each fund. Both of my kids are at .66% for AZ2033 and NH2036 plans.

Comment

bbqfan, I sent you a pm with my number. I would like to share my experience with 529 plans.

Comment

Originally posted by pescadoloco View Post
                            bbqfan, I sent you a pm with my number. I would like to share my experience with 529 plans.
                            would you mind sharing with the rest of us

Comment

I’ll holler at ya in the morning, getting kiddo ready for bed. If you like, share with all of us, all about hearing opinions.

would you mind sharing with the rest of us

Comment

Working...
                              X