Stick Burner or Pellet Grill???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    They pellets you buy make all the difference in the world. My first cook on mine resulted in VERY lackluster flavor. I used Pit Boss oak pellets. Turned out they suck.

I now use Lumberjack pellets and get tons of smoke flavor, good smoke ring and heavy bark.

No way I’d go back to a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^ I second this comment as well. ^^^

Lumberjack pellets are my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I picked up a GMG Daniel Boon for less than $500. At first, I wasn’t impressed, but two things I believed caused this (one was mentioned). Pellets are key. I have settled on B&B Competition Blend and really like it. I tried 2-3 other blends, and they just weren’t that good, IMHO. Second is seasoning the grill after about 1/2 dozen cooks, the quality went way up. I think it just wasn’t “seasoned” yet before this.

When I say it isn’t the same quality as a stick burner, its not, but it isn’t that far off, especially when you weigh in how easy it is.

I keep hearing about Lumberjack pellets. I might have to try some, but it is hard to come off something I already like.

Comment

I haven’t seen the Lumberjack pellets but may give them a try. I have sampled half a dozen different pellet types on my Pitts and Spitts and settled on the B&B brand post oak. Great flavor, aroma, and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          I still don't understand the easy part. Using a real pit is not difficult at all. If the quality is lower as many have said yet you want "easy" just stop by the local bbq joint and buy some. Talk about easy and where I live it will be as good as doing it yourself on a real pit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Using a real pit is not difficult at all, but if I want to eat fresh brisket for lunch on a Sunday, I can start the pellet smoker at bedtime on Saturday, throw it on, and sleep like a baby. Not set my alarm to go poke the fire all night long. And I don’t see a lapse in quality of the finished product.

Comment

You'll get better food off of a stick burner or kamado. You don't have to be as good of a cook with a pellet smoker to get decent food though. They each have their time and place. Do you want to set it and forget it, or do you want to pay a little more attention for quality?

I have cooked with kamado, reverse flow, and pellet smokers. They all have their pro's and cons. I use a komado the most, but I have plans to build a bigger reverse flow for higher volume events. I don't see a pellet grill in my future. I don't mind the extra work for better flavor.

Comment

I haven’t tried a Komodo, or green egg, but my offset smoker is awaiting the scrap yard because of the ease and quality of my GMG pellet grill.

I got the WiFi version, and it is an absolute life saver.
              I don’t have to stay up all night to adjust temps, I don’t have to fiddle with air flows, hell I don’t even have to be at the dang house to adjust stuff.

My favorite feature is the “profiles” feature. You can build a recipe for, say pulled pork, and dictate your smoke times.

For example
              380° for 30 minutes with an alarm (flip meat)
              380° for 32 minutes (an extra 2 minutes to account for flipping)
              Automatically drop temp to 215° after the 32 min until internal temp of the meat reaches 193°, then switch to “keep warm” mode.

With a profile like this, you can literally start the grill up, flip it when your phone alarms, wrap in foil when your recipe dictates, and walk away.
              If you have to juggle sides, salads, drinks, and making sure the house looks presentable before company comes over.... you will appreciate these features.

I would say that what I cook is above my expectations of a normal “bbq” restaurant. (i.e. dickies, or Sonny Bryan’s) Definitely not up to franklin’s standards, but nothing else on earth equals that.

Comment

This is the last brisket I did on my pellet.

Guess I’m smoking some crow over the weekend.

Comment

Be it open flame or smoke, I like wood. It takes more "Love" to make the food right with wood. And I enjoy that.

Comment

My latest project. Still a ways to go before it goes to the sandbaster. Will hold a whole hog or half a calf. Not sure how many chickens. Maybe 40?

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Oops! Forgot pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_185328.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	24607471

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Them chickens be square dance-n.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                          I haven’t seen the Lumberjack pellets but may give them a try. I have sampled half a dozen different pellet types on my Pitts and Spitts and settled on the B&B brand post oak. Great flavor, aroma, and performance.

I’m gonna give the B&B a try. Hard to find good post oak pellets.

Comment

I’m gonna give the B&B a try. Hard to find good post oak pellets.

I buy it at my local HEB.

Comment

Pellet grills get my vote

Comment

I've been in same decision place and going with the stick burner. I want legit BBQ not that pellet flavor stuff...must be something in the pellet bc i can always taste it. It's an unauthentic smoke flavor. I've wrestled with this for awhile...quality vs convenience and I've decided on quality. I've had several BBQ cook-off with buddies that have both and everyone agrees the authentic flavor of a stick burner can't be beat by a pellet smoker. Not that the pellet smoker produces bad Q but it's just not at the same level. My $0.02.

Comment

Working...
                                X