Good Cheap Bow Vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Cheap Bow Vice

I posted this on ATC forum, but it prob fits better here.

This may very well have been posted before on here, but I ran across this idea on another site, and thought that it was worth sharing here.

Although it's not called a bow vice (it's sold as a bike vice), it works great and you can get it for less than $40. There are bench mounted and wall mounted versions available. I went with the wall mount and mounted it on my work bench. It is fully adjustable 360 degrees.

AMAZON LINK
    Last edited by HeyMikey; 01-04-2020, 07:42 AM.

That looks great.

Comment

I was just shopping for a cheaper alternative to the expensive bow vises on the old interweb and this looks like it's going to be my next purchase. Have you had any issues with it at all?

Comment

No issues at all, but in reading Amazon reviews, one guy suggested a small modification that was a good one, and it was easy and cheap to do. See the 1/4" x 4" long carriage bolt on the black plastic section that slid into the wall bracket? I added that per his suggestion. It will keep it from ever trying to spin on you. Of course, he was working on bikes, so it might not even be needed for a bow, but I did it anyway.

Comment

Did you have to drill the hole for the bolt to go through or was it already there?

Comment

Good Cheap Bow Vice

I drilled it myself. The whole process of putting it together, including drilling the hole, might've taken me 5 minutes. It was a piece of cake. Can't beat it for less than $40. Oh yeah, it also comes with 2 wall brackets, so you could mount one inside and one outside, or wherever, if you want to.

Comment

Good information. Getting one on order now. I'm a fan of finding alternative uses for tools like this, especially when it saves money. Didn't know anything like this existed before. Glad you figured it out.

Comment

Perfect. Got one on order. Thanks,

Comment

As a follow-up: the meshing plastic teeth may not allow you to get as precise of a "level" setting as desired. Several users said that they either used a spacer made of rubber or other material, between the 2 faces. Or some even took the time to machine/grind the faces smoothe. The parts are plastic, so that wouldn't be hard to do. I'm going to try a cardboard gasket and see how that works first.

Comment

Might have to give this a shot... cant justify dropping the coin on an actual bow vice

Comment

Hey Mikey....do you have the name of this bike rack? link is no longer good.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Looks like it will work....but hard to beat the old Apple vise

https://www.ebay.com/p/1148470279?ii...0aAnwDEALw_wcB
                        This is the one I bought but I don't like the knobs you tighten.. mine doesn't hold unless I use channel locks to tighten it..

Comment

The Spewing Jason vise off of Archerytalk is a good one for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Hey Mikey....do you have the name of this bike rack? link is no longer good.
                            Jason,
                            It's called a "Conquer wall mount bike repair stand".
                            Somebody else asked me about it a couple of weeks ago. I looked for and found it then, but it showed "out of stock/ no longer available". I can't seem to find it at all right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X