Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swords

Two sword stories this week got me thinking.

First, I was hired by a knife store to sharpen up a group of swords that came from India and were unsharpened. Construction quality was decent, and they were some kind of heat treated stainless in the 48-52 rockwell range. Shelf price was $550 and the store said their customers wouldn't buy them unsharpened at that price.

Here's a video about the swords and sharpening... then the other story.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

So that all got me wondering who even buys "quality" swords. I met a lady at the knife store who asked me if I'd sharpen her sword as it wasn't "battle ready." Now this lady was maybe 30, at least 350-400 lbs, and in a wheel chair. I didn't ask about her health status or anything, but i thought it was janky that she even had a concept of "battle ready."

Around the campfire... do you folks see any real purpose in having a sharpened sword at your house "just in case?"

Well, if ninjas break in, you gotta be ready……..

Comment

Kinda like having a gun that isn't loaded.

Comment

Gotta have your watermelon cutter ready at all times, It’s no fun if you can’t slice 2 melons with one swing!

Comment

I guess if your intruder only has a pocket knife a sword would be handy

Comment

Did any of them have 6 fingers on one hand?

Comment

What grit is best for a broad sword ?
              Toothy 400 or polish to .5 microns

Comment

A sword that isn't sharp is fake. Who wants a fake sword. A woke society was the reason they were made with no edge in the first place.

Comment

These were WAY thick, at least 3/32 on the worst ones. They all got 50/120/220 at roughly 40 degrees total angle. My axes have better edge geometry. Two of them were thinner, 60 thou or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope any intruder that comes to my house brings a sword. I want to see if he can block all those projectiles coming from my Glock with it like they do in the movies...but....if he does, I'm gonna throw the pistol at him and run screaming like a little girl!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Gotta have that calvary sword to cut the cake

Comment

The right sword beats a ball bat, even if you're restricted to a wheelchair.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                          Gotta have that calvary sword to cut the cake
                          Bingo!

Comment

I collect them but not for defending my Walmart mobility scooter.

There seems to be three types of people that buy swords and stuff.

1. Ren fest green hair fantasy types
                            2. Historical European martial arts (HEMA). They have actual sports and competition.
                            3. Those collecting the actual antiques. Similar to how many collect guns.

http://myarmoury.com/talk/ is a broader site for all types.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12 is strictly for historical discussion.

Not that their customers give a dern but historically swords like the ones you sharpened would not have a bevel. Don't quote me on it but I don't think the bevel came around until the 18th C.

Here's some pics of one of my German, hand and a half swords, from the 16th C. Hexagonal blade that just transitions directly into the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              Did any of them have 6 fingers on one hand?
                              This^^^I always see them for sale in whiskey tango areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X