Mobile hunting and packing/quartering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the questions I get from people is “how do you get one out when you’re that far back.”

I quarter usually unless I’m close to the boat/truck. Most of the celebrity youtube hunters talk about it, yet I still see them dragging or not covering the gutless method (probably due to weird game laws).

So here’s 3 questions for you veterans who DO quarter:

1) if you saddle hunt out of an ultralight pack or a fanny pack, do you keep a frame pack in the truck?

2) Do you quarter or debone, and do you do multiple trips or try to get it all out in one trip?

3) I know game bags/pillowcase/trash bags are a necessity, but do you carry a tarp as well and if so which one?

4) and lastly, if you use your treestand as a frame pack, how much weight do you haul with it comfortably?
    I’ve noticed most don’t have shoulder straps with functional load lifters. I love my Kifaru because it carries heavy loads fantastic. What I don’t like is that the 26 inch frame sticks 2 inches overhead and catches every branch imaginable.

I know how I do it, but I’d love to see y’all’s input!

I’ve included my setup on here as a reference. It’s a lwcg .5 with muddy pro sticks with EWO mods and diy aiders. Kuiu hip belt and shoulder straps.

Saddle setup is a Kifaru Stryker XL with a EWO one stick.

So you have the Kuiu straps and hip belt attached to the stand? If you kill an animal you use the stand as the backpack to strap quarters to it and haul it out?

Can you de-bone legally in Texas? I think you have to leave it in quarters and take the two backstraps until it reaches its final destination. I am not 100% on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      So you have the Kuiu straps and hip belt attached to the stand? If you kill an animal you use the stand as the backpack to strap quarters to it and haul it out?

Can you de-bone legally in Texas? I think you have to leave it in quarters and take the two backstraps until it reaches its final destination. I am not 100% on this?

Straps are attached to the stand with rubber wire and industrial strength zip ties. I’ve only put a bag of corn on the seat with it acting like a load shelf and it wasn’t bad but if it gets above 50lbs I could see there being issues. I’m 6ft tall but I’m all arms and legs with an 18 inch torso which is extra small. I don’t know if the hip belt would even work for some folks unless you let the shoulder straps sag which would also make for a miserable carry.

As for deboning in Texas, it’s gotta stay quartered along with proof of sex. Some other states are a little different. I was just curious. But from experience, the one elk I deboned was a nightmare to try to get the meat into the game bag without it slipping out of my hand so I prefer leaving it on the bone!

Comment

1. Yes
        2. Skin gut and quarter usually one trip unless its over 150 lbs live weight.
        3. Yes 6x8 or I keep a gambrel and hoist in my pack and use a tree limb. Tarp is lighter hoist is easier to keep stuff clean.
        4. Always used a frame pack because its easier to go back to the truck/boat and get it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by BarW; 06-16-2022, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Using the platform as a frame is the way to go IMO. It works well not only for carrying out your quarters, but also carrying in bags of corn (where allowed), like you mentioned. Mine came with pretty well padded shoulder straps, but I did order a hip belt from amazon for like $20 and rigged it up with some nylon strap I had around. The hip belt has made a huge difference on long hikes with a load.

I have tried using a space blanket as a cleaning tarp because its super light, cheap, and disposable, but it lets sticks poke through which tears it to shreds pretty quick. This next season, I'm gonna try a rain fly from an old tent. I think it will still pack down small and light, but will be much more durable and reusable. If that doesn't work, plan B is to buy 2 rock climbing pulleys that will work with my lifeline rope to create a hoist with some mechanical advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Kev View Post
            I have tried using a space blanket as a cleaning tarp because its super light, cheap, and disposable, but it lets sticks poke through which tears it to shreds pretty quick. This next season, I'm gonna try a rain fly from an old tent. I think it will still pack down small and light, but will be much more durable and reusable. If that doesn't work, plan B is to buy 2 rock climbing pulleys that will work with my lifeline rope to create a hoist with some mechanical advantage.
            A piece of tyvek is about as good as it gets. Run it through one cycle in the washing machine (no detergent) and its good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              A piece of tyvek is about as good as it gets. Run it through one cycle in the washing machine (no detergent) and its good to go.

I’ve used one as a ground cloth for my tent but this beats the heck out of carrying a contractor trash bag like I’ve been doing! Genius!

Comment

Genius! Definitely gonna give that a shot

Comment

I partially deboned my elks, just remove femur, to be able to fit more easily in an ice chest. Usually 2 or 3 trips. Deer will be in one trip.

I carry game bags and try an emergency blanket, but didn't work, stick to everything and shreds easily. This year I'm trying a hunters tarp.

Comment

I have a Mystery Rach Popup pack that I use for just about everything hunting on public land(in texas at least). It is versatile enough that I can use it as a daypack while scouting or getting in and out to my hunting location but I can also carry my treestand, sticks and other gear in it. Last year I packed out Nilgai quarters with it too and it worked perfectly with that. I built a no tree required "ladder" stand that I used on my nilgai hunt in south texas so I could see over the 4' tall grass and was able to pack that in and out over a mile with the Popup pack. The 6' ladder stand is 18" x 28" when it is collapsed and weighs about 25 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                      I have a Mystery Rach Popup pack that I use for just about everything hunting on public land(in texas at least). It is versatile enough that I can use it as a daypack while scouting or getting in and out to my hunting location but I can also carry my treestand, sticks and other gear in it. Last year I packed out Nilgai quarters with it too and it worked perfectly with that. I built a no tree required "ladder" stand that I used on my nilgai hunt in south texas so I could see over the 4' tall grass and was able to pack that in and out over a mile with the Popup pack. The 6' ladder stand is 18" x 28" when it is collapsed and weighs about 25 pounds.
                      You running the 28 or the 38? We got my wife the 28 and I've ran it a few times but its a first gen so the aluminum pop ups seem a little fragile. It can handle about 70lbs before the hip belt starts to bite me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                        You running the 28 or the 38? We got my wife the 28 and I've ran it a few times but its a first gen so the aluminum pop ups seem a little fragile. It can handle about 70lbs before the hip belt starts to bite me.

Pretty sure it is the 38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll be dang! Great idea

Typically I only trophy hunt public land so IF/when I do kill I use a cart that’s in truck (bad luck to bring it in with ya lol). If I’m close to truck, last hunt, need meat and shoot a doe then I still drag. A Texas deer ain’t an elk and I can drag a doe gutted forever

BUT THE BEST WAY, is my groups way. If I kill it, YOU get to drag it! Even if I got to call ya to come do it!!!!……. BUT, it works both ways and true friends will be there (pending a draw hunt)

I’m not a pack guy, hate em all and don’t need one really….. but a frame pack in certain situations and hunts does have merit for sure

Comment

Most my Texas hunting I use a lightweight 6’ tripod that is about 18 lbs, no saddle for me.

When I kill I’ll quarter where they lie, no need to debone.

I use a tarp in the process, I use window shrink film for winter insulation. I cut it down smaller than the roll I get in the window kit. That stuff is super light and great for a backpacking ground cloth too, and probably half the weight and space of tyvek.

I use a kuiu pack, pack outs usually are single trips, just carry the tripod base on my shoulder, strap the seat on my pack, Montana bow sling over the other shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always have one of my Kuiu packs on me and always quarter in the field as I'm gonna do it anyway so may as well do it there. I also hunt in a CWD zone so carcass has to stay there, no debone in Texas. Last year's buck I was alone and packed the whole thing out in one trip, trimmings liver heart and all I leave practically nothing behind. I had to carry the head and back of straps and neck meat by hand 1.25 miles but managed it. It was late evening and I didn't want to make a 2nd trip. The doe I had other peeps with me so shared the load out. I don't bother with tarps because the animal has one built-in, I just put quarters straight into bags or lay stuff out on the inside of the stretched out hide if I don't have a bag ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X