Late Season CO Elk Boot Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Season CO Elk Boot Insulation

Going to Colorado in November for third season rifle elk hunt. Question is how much insulation should be in my boots. I have read everywhere from 200gr to 1000gr. Weather could be from 50f-0f, sunny to snow. I plan on sock liners and good wool hiking socks. I also plan on taking two pair of boots to change if needed. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

For your hunting boots, I would say it depends on what amount of hiking you’re planning to do and hunting style. Late season shouldn’t be too much walking, so I’d have 2 boots available one with moderate insulation and one with very low to none.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      For your hunting boots, I would say it depends on what amount of hiking you’re planning to do and hunting style. Late season shouldn’t be too much walking, so I’d have 2 boots available one with moderate insulation and one with very low to none.

Exactly where I landed over 8 years in Canada hunting. 99% of the time I use the boots with no insulation given I am walking 90% of the time. I find the extra weight and feet sweating is a killer. Same hunts for whitetails where we sit 99% of time and I am wearing my heavily insulated boots and still have cold feet if there is snow on the ground.
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Zero insulation for me. My feet get cold because they sweat, get wet, then freeze. I don't care if I'm trudging through knee deep snow I wear uninsulated boots and it works much better for me.

Comment

Uninsulated boots for me always.

Comment

200 grams max I would say for a male hunter, you all have warmer feet.
            Get some good knee high gaiters though and save yourself some wet pants.
            Make sure the boots don't fit too tight or you'll have cold feet .

A light weight pair of snow shoes might come in very handy, they could be bought in CO if you get there and it is snowy. For a couple of feet of snow they make a big difference in hiking or packing out.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              A light weight pair of snow shoes might come in very handy, they could be bought in CO if you get there and it is snowy. For a couple of feet of snow they make a big difference in hiking or packing out.
              We really could have used some last year hunting in Wyoming around French Creek area, even just for hiking would have been nice. Bunch of family came up to visit and we went to Vedauwoo to goof off in the snow, it was waist-high in some places. The dogs had a blast making snow tunnels but we only made it a mile or so before the kids wore out. I'd like to have some at least at the truck for hunting this year (also 3rd season CO like OP) just in case, do you have anything super lightweight you'd recommend? We're snow shoe ignorant.
              Last edited by justletmein; 06-14-2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

We have cheap-os, under $100. Get some decent bindings and with our snow wider and longer is better.
                  Decent crampons on the bottom are a must for the mountains.
                  we see them around town at garage sales, etc.

Comment

During winter hunts I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's with 400 grams of insulation. They have worked very well for me.
                    If you are not hiking, or doing very little walking, a good pack boot with the removable liner works very well.
                    As important is your sock choice. I will wear a very thin sock liner and then Darn Tough brand socks over the liner.
                    Your mileage may vary depending on your body temperature gauge etc.
                    November here in the Rockies can be a crap shoot on the weather. We can be dry with decent temperatures or it can be belly deep and blowing so your gear needs to run the gamut.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                      As important is your sock choice. I will wear a very thin sock liner and then Darn Tough brand socks over the liner.
                      I agree with this statement. A liner and a good merino wool sock...Darn Tough, Smartwool, Farm to Feet or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                        I agree with this statement. A liner and a good merino wool sock...Darn Tough, Smartwool, Farm to Feet or the like.
                        I have some Smartwool and Farm to Feet socks and wore them for years and liked them a lot. But, since being introduced to Darn Tough a couple of years ago, that is all I will wear now. Lifetime warranty on them is pretty nice too but have not come close to having to use it yet. They are great socks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

In addition to good socks, make sure there is enough room in the boots for the insulation of the socks to work. If the boot is too tight, you reduce the effectiveness of the sock insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                            In addition to good socks, make sure there is enough room in the boots for the insulation of the socks to work. If the boot is too tight, you reduce the effectiveness of the sock insulation.
                            This ^^^, that's why boot insulation is mostly just bs, they compress it so much to keep bulk down it is essentially useless.
                            That 1000 gram just sounds good

Comment

Working...
                            X