• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure it isn’t Boomer Jacks

Comment

Lone Star Cafe. Nuff said. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        Lot's of people say Mary's cafe in Strawn is the best, and it's good, but I actually think that the one at New York Hill in Thurber 5 minutes east on I-20 is better. I'll have to think about "the best CFS", they are one of my favorite meals. There are lots of really good ones in Texas. In my travels all over the country, I've never found a really good Chicken Fried Steak outside of Texas.
        Keith,
        As a native Texan who has chased the career out of state for a significant amount of time, a decent chicken fry is dam$n hard to come by outside of Texas.,...

Looking at this discussion with high interest for the next time I am in the motherland!
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          T Bone Toms in Kemah, Tx.
          Will have to try it next time I am at moms in Santa Fe

Comment

If you've ever had a CFS cooked by Mary herself it's hard to beat. Times change of course and I rarely stop in these days but last I heard she still shows up now and then. It's been a couple of years for me......

Comment

Loggins in Tyler for a dang good pan fried CFS and dark gravy. After that you guys can keep all them deep fired steaks. I hate just sitting there eating breading. I kind of prefer the thicker ribeyes so you can get some met with it.

IMO its a great thing to do with those cheap thin cut sirloins or ribeyes.

Comment

I just had the chicken fry thanks to this thread. G10s Childress Tx pretty dang goood.

Comment

Been a while but when I hunted in Brady I would make the trip out to Melvin and eat breakfast at the Jacoby cafe. Chicken fried steak, fried eggs , cream gravy and toast. They raised their own beef and when sent to slaughter they would send some back to cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                    Been a while but when I hunted in Brady I would make the trip out to Melvin and eat breakfast at the Jacoby cafe. Chicken fried steak, fried eggs , cream gravy and toast. They raised their own beef and when sent to slaughter they would send some back to cafe.
                    I forgot about their chicken fried steak. I hunted about 2 miles from there in 2014 and ate there at least twice everytime I went to the deer lease. Everything I tried was great. Anytime we're traveling my 19 year old son will ask me if we're going to be close to Jacoby Cafe. To say the least, he LOVES that place!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally gonna try it.

I'll be in the vicinity of Mary's this afternoon!

I may have eaten there 20+ years ago. Can't remember. Maybe I'll recognize it. ???

I'll let y'all know.......

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                        I'll be in the vicinity of Mary's this afternoon!

I may have eaten there 20+ years ago. Can't remember. Maybe I'll recognize it. ???

I'll let y'all know.......

I haven’t been there in about 20 years either. I’m sure it’s changed but man was it good! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          I guess everybody saying Goodson‘s in Tomball has never been to Mel’s Café.

[emoji3595] This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I first had a CF in Strawn at a place called Flossy’s which is across the street from Mary’s in 1979. I still take a ride out to Mary’s about once a year and the steak is still good. Closer to home the Babes in Sanger is a pretty good substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                              I first had a CF in Strawn at a place called Flossy’s which is across the street from Mary’s in 1979. I still take a ride out to Mary’s about once a year and the steak is still good. Closer to home the Babes in Sanger is a pretty good substitute.

We used to have Flossy’s for breakfast and Mary’s for lunch or dinner. There was a little grocery store called Lovera’s if I recall that made sandwiches in the deli bigger than your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                                We went to Flossy`s back around 81-82 and ate all the boiled shrimp you could eat on 1st Tuesday of the month. They didn`t make any money off of us at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X