Turkey frying tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey frying tips

What are some of your turkey frying tips or lessons learned? Does anyone fry anything else while the oil is hot?
    I have always used tony chachere’s marinade and followed the instructions. I’m not sure if using a whole bottle on one bird is necessary or does it just add more mess to the oil?

My fryer takes ~4 gal oil so it was always a pain with the 3 gal containers. I recently learned on here Costco has 4.5 gal containers so that’s perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I inject with my own made of 2 tubs of margarine, garlic powder to taste and Tony’s to taste and little hot sauce. Melt the butter how you see fit and add seasoning and simmer just a few minutes. Inject the turkey thoroughly and rub him done thoroughly with Tony’s and let sit for one hour so the seasoning can penetrate the skin. Why 2 tubs of margarine? Because I do 4 chickens the same way right after the turkey and vacuum seal and freeze for later. The oil is hot so I use it. The chicken, IMO is better than the turkey and supper moist. Happy T Day

Comment

Make sure it’s 100% thawed, that’s the first thing.

As for cooking other things, fried ribs but cooked before the turkey.. Better than a pork chop.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        I inject with my own made of 2 tubs of margarine, garlic powder to taste and Tony’s to taste and little hot sauce. Melt the butter how you see fit and add seasoning and simmer just a few minutes. Inject the turkey thoroughly and rub him done thoroughly with Tony’s and let sit for one hour so the seasoning can penetrate the skin. Why 2 tubs of margarine? Because I do 4 chickens the same way right after the turkey and vacuum seal and freeze for later. The oil is hot so I use it. The chicken, IMO is better than the turkey and supper moist. Happy T Day

I might have to try the chickens. I do 3 turkeys since the oil is hot. My family likes turkey pot pie so we cut, pre measure 2.5 cups of turkey and freeze for later in the year.

I might have to try the home made marinade. Fried turkey is great, it’s just odd to spend $5 on a 17 lb turkey, $4 on a bottle of marinade and 50-70 on peanut oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          Make sure it’s 100% thawed, that’s the first thing.

As for cooking other things, fried ribs but cooked before the turkey.. Better than a pork chop.

Pork ribs? Do you season or bread at all?

Comment

Make sure that you don’t have to much oil. Nothing worse than putting the turkey in and having oil run out over the sides.

We do chicken fried bacon and dip half of it in melted chocolate.
            Chocolate covered fried bacon. Makes a great appetizer.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post

Yes, seasoned flour or Italian bread crumbs. Both turn out very good.

Comment

I might have to try the chickens. I do 3 turkeys since the oil is hot. My family likes turkey pot pie so we cut, pre measure 2.5 cups of turkey and freeze for later in the year.

I might have to try the home made marinade. Fried turkey is great, it’s just odd to spend $5 on a 17 lb turkey, $4 on a bottle of marinade and 50-70 on peanut oil.

Filter the oil and save it and use it later. I never discard mine until it has been used several times. That’s the reason for the peanut oil. Higher heat tolerant and lasts longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                  Make sure that you don’t have to much oil. Nothing worse than putting the turkey in and having oil run out over the sides.

We do chicken fried bacon and dip half of it in melted chocolate.
                  Chocolate covered fried bacon. Makes a great appetizer.

Explain more!! What’s the recipe for flouring the bacon or do you just fry it? How long?

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                    Yes, seasoned flour or Italian bread crumbs. Both turn out very good.
                    X2 on this. You can parboil the ribs first as well and then bread and they will be more tender out of the fryer.

Comment

As said, don't have too much oil when you lower the turkey into the pot where it overflows. It is better to add more oil after the turkey is in the pot than having oil everywhere. Expect some boiling and popping as you lower the turkey into the pot and don't drop it in but lower slowly. Wear long pants and sleeves as well as gloves and full shoes. Hot oil on bare skin is not fun and can cause you to make a bad situation worse.

Comment

There is a recipe on line for baby back ribs. But tiger sauce is a must. After you fry um dip them in the sauce. You will have alot of turkey left overs

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Firemen can even make mistakes. [emoji33][emoji41]

Comment

Also, get oil up to 375-385, when you drop turkey in, it will drop temp down.

350 degrees, 3.5 minutes per pound.

Filter oil thru cheesecloth and save for future fish fries.

Comment

Explain more!! What’s the recipe for flouring the bacon or do you just fry it? How long?

Just a light coating of flour with salt and pepper. Plenty of pepper. I don’t do an egg wash because I want a light crust on it. Fry it till it floats , 2-3 minutes tops.

Melt your chocolate over a double burner and dip the bacon in it. Gets that sweet and savory thing going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X